Higgins lake MI Question

(IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI)
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Higgins lake MI Question

Post by ajcampen »

Thinking of going to Higgins lake MI for a week next summer. My question is what do most people do with their boats. Store on trailer or a marina? Any marina suggestions for a spot? Thanks. I know very little about this lake
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Higgins lake MI Question

Post by Big Block Power »

I'll meet you there. Go on vbro and rent a house with a dock. Alot of people just anchor the boat near shore too.
That lake rocks. Oh has one too.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Looked at the docks and they all don't look great. BB I'm down for a 220 convention
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

ajcampen wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 pm Looked at the docks and they all don't look great. BB I'm down for a 220 convention
Get a date in July or early august. I'm in.
The houses I looked at were good. I'm good with anchoring in front of the house. I know some crownie buddies that go there and would meet up too.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

ajcampen wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 pm Thinking of going to Higgins lake MI for a week next summer. My question is what do most people do with their boats. Store on trailer or a marina? Any marina suggestions for a spot? Thanks. I know very little about this lake
We've camped there many times, at South Higgins State Park, I've anchored off shore, be prepared for the 50-75 yard walk out to boat as it's shallow a long way out.
Seagull's love dark covers to.
The park has a very nice boat launch.
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

This thread has my interest. I am looking at going toward the end of the week after the 4th of July. The National Pistol Matches run in the early part of the week at Camp Perry and we are looking at going up after. While in the Port Clinton area, I want to launch on Lake Erie and see the sights.
More info on Higgins would be appreciated. Is swimming in the second week of July uncomfortable? What about this parasite that causes itching that has been around the last few years?
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've never been there. Vans will chime in. I'm sure the parasite your talking about may cause swimmers itch? Lots of lakes have it. You just wash off after you get out of the water. First I've heard about them. I know a bunch of guys that boat there and love it. I would love too get there one of these years also. My lake bucket list is long.lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

Higgins Lake is beautiful, water clarity is unbelievable, that being said it is a deep spring fed lake, it should be fine to swim by the 4th, especially in the shallow areas where sun warms sand up, I don't go there much anymore so I can't answer the swimmers itch problem.

You guys really need to take a look at the Inland Waterway, it's an hour north of Higgins Lake
http://www.michiganwatertrails.org/trai ... cv&cid=133
You have a lot of water to explore, nice spots on both lakes to anchor, lots of sand and nice water, plus you can take the Cheboygan river to Lake Huron and them you can see the Mackinaw Bridge.
We put in at Cheboygan a few years ago and drove to Mackinaw Island, little scary as the Straights of Mackinaw can get rough quick, but we had a great day to do.

Then there's Torch Lake.......
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

Spent day at Higgins this year, mid-July, just a day stop on way home from Inland Waterway, water was fine, back when kids were young we would schedule our week to camp late July/early August, water was always fine, never remember any swimmers itch, but that was 15-20 years ago
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thanks vans. Touch is the other lake I would like to see. most of the pictures on boating brochures are from that lake.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:21 am Thanks vans. Touch is the other lake I would like to see. most of the pictures on boating brochures are from that lake.
Torch is another beautiful lake, that water is cold, what I like about Torch over Higgins is Torch has a chain of lakes you can cruise through,I guess I'm spoiled with the big water options we have
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

vans wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 am
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:21 am Thanks vans. Touch is the other lake I would like to see. most of the pictures on boating brochures are from that lake.
Torch is another beautiful lake, that water is cold, what I like about Torch over Higgins is Torch has a chain of lakes you can cruise through,I guess I'm spoiled with the big water options we have

Some day Vans :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!