how to eliminate torque feed back?

sfoster
Ensign
Ensign

how to eliminate torque feed back?

Post by sfoster »

As the title suggests im having a hard time with torque feed back through the steering. My 19br with the 888 drive will really give you a work out. I do not have power steering and nor can I afford to retrofit a system in. I've only taken the boat out a few times and still trying to get a feel for the trim. This old tub is nothing like the 18 ft pontoon with a 40 hp. That I was running last, about 10 years ago. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Im not sure what I should be looking for.
I bought a trim anode but the prop interfered with it.
Also it has a hydo_foil on it. Is that hurting me any?
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: how to eliminate torque feed back?

Post by jhnmdahl »

So the trim tab hangs down into where the propeller spins? Normally, the propeller would be in front of the trim tab, so I wonder a bit if there's an incorrect propeller or trim tab for the sterndrive? A quick search shows there are a bunch of different Mercruiser anodes, some of which look like they're designed for propellers that sit back further:

http://www.boatmania.com/prop-trim/trim ... uiser.html

It looks like the 31640 tab is recommended for the 888, but the 46399 is recommended for applications with particularly high rake propellers:

http://www.boatzincs.com/MER46399.html

A trim tab is probably still the best choice to tune out pulling to one side, or moderate torque steer. It's a little counter-intuitive to adjust, though, because it's essentially a rudder on a rudder. In a nutshell, if the boat pulls right, move the trailing edge of the trim tab right.

Hope this works out for you,

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
sfoster
Ensign
Ensign

Re: how to eliminate torque feed back?

Post by sfoster »

Thank you so much for the links. I believe that the prop May be the reason for the interference. I still need to learn how to find out what prop is on it. Thanks again.

I just picked up a anode that must of been stock.