GPS speed plug-in for factory speedometer (Merc)

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

GPS speed plug-in for factory speedometer (Merc)

Post by TwoBurgers »

Hey guys,
I just ordered a Candoo Pro GPS speedometer module for my Yamaha ski, and wandered if there was anything like it for the Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI engines with the Mercury Smartcraft gauge? It basically overrides the paddle wheel speed reading by having a direct plug in module that calibrated speed via GPS. I know my factory speedometer is slow by 3 to 5 MPH, and it would be nice to have it read accurately. Anyway, just curious if any of you all have run across such a unit.
Chris

info -

CandooPro GPS Speedometer Modules
The GPS Module is "plug and play", requires no cutting or splicing of any harness wires for the standard unit. Transforms your skis inaccurate speedometer into a very accurate GPS Speedometer. The CandooPro GPS Speedometer uses the latest SirfSTAR IV chipset, which has the best doppler speed algorithm in the market of any GPS chipset.
The unit is totally potted and sealed for the marine environment.
Uses a patent-applied for method of calibration to your individual ski via magnetic sensors, no external wires or switches to fail.
Uses a unique method to indicate satellite lock, as well as using the same indication to validate calibration.
Uses no power from the battery when not in use, so battery drain while off is not a concern.
Contains a supercapacitor to store the GPS receiver coordinates for several hours after you shut down the ski, so you can expect almost instantaneous acquisition of the satellites when you get back running.
Designed for harsh electrical vehicle noise, with overvoltage protection, and reverse voltage protection. You can even hook up the power connections to the battery backwards without damaging the unit. Please note: All Candoo products are drop shipped directly from the manufacturer.
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Re: GPS speed plug-in for factory speedometer (Merc)

Post by ColinC »

Perfect Pass owns a company called Precision Star. Precision Star makes a gps-based speedo with some nice features -- trip odometer, peak speed, etc. Price is $349 and appears to be a DIY plug-and-play install.

Here's a video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6B-UyDmgos

Link to company website:

http://precisionstar.ca/
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

Appreciate the info Colin.
That would work, but I want to keep the stock Smartcraft gauges. In short, I want to replace the pitot tube information being sent with a GPS based signal. Apparently I have too much time on my hands. May do some boat detailing next week... that'll keep me busy for a few days. Of course, we're covered in pollen right now.
Chris
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Oops. Sorry about that.

It does look like there's an option. Details can be found here: http://www.veradoclub.com/index.php?topic=520.0
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

Nice catch. Looks like the Smart Craft gauges have the ability to accept a GPS signal. I don't have a chart plotter or the like, so I need to source a stand-alone GPS module that can plug and play with Mercruiser. It would be nice to have an accurate gauge.
Chris