Chartplotter - 2011 242

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Chartplotter - 2011 242

Post by Driller »

Anyone installed a chart plotter in a 242? I'm thinking I want to have one, but I can tell it is going to be a painful install.

I don't need to find fish or check the depth, although I might want to add forward looking sonar later. I also want to have NMEA2000.

Right now I am leaning toward the SIMRAD GO7 XSE. It seems to have the smallest footprint overall, and it also has the ability to run the stereo and bluetooth with an add on module.

I want to mount it where the storage hole is to the right of the dash. Not the best place, but the cleanest.

Any tips or advice?
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Chartplotter - 2011 242

Post by Driller »

OK, I guess I'm on my own. Putting on my research hat.
"DIGGIN' IT"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Driller wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:54 am OK, I guess I'm on my own. Putting on my research hat.

Sorry Driller.

Why do I feel like we are the audience in this video with you asking that question.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Ha! Figured I was on my own from the start, but you never know.

Simplest would be a suction cup RAM mount to the starboard windshield (side). It would have a better viewing angle, and I might be able to go up a little in screen size on the plotter.

Still working out the dimensional issues.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Keep us updates on your research Driller. Mine is a the garment factory option without fish finder but was thinking of adding a transducer for it to get the extra option including another depth gauge. I looked at the thru hull and inside hull fittings because I don't want the little cable down the transom. Have done neither so far.
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I need to look closer at what I have on my 240 Driller. I think it's just a Garmin unit with a mount. When I bought the boat the guy told me it had a chip with all the freshwater lakes loaded, but he only used the one from Texoma. I found Tenkiller Lake relatively easy and left it there, so I'm sure it has your lake as well.
What is cool is the channel it shows. Our lake is the Illinois River that was dammed in the 50's, and when the level is low it shows the channel and any shallow spots to keep me out of trouble.
I think it may do chart plotting but I've never gotten that deep into it's operation.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Ytmsn wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:11 am I need to look closer at what I have on my 240 Driller. I think it's just a Garmin unit with a mount. When I bought the boat the guy told me it had a chip with all the freshwater lakes loaded, but he only used the one from Texoma. I found Tenkiller Lake relatively easy and left it there, so I'm sure it has your lake as well.
What is cool is the channel it shows. Our lake is the Illinois River that was dammed in the 50's, and when the level is low it shows the channel and any shallow spots to keep me out of trouble.
I think it may do chart plotting but I've never gotten that deep into it's operation.
Exactly what i want it for Ytmsn. You and I both boat a lot at night, and Lake Travis is really a damned up river channel. Daytime is no problem, but at night it can be difficult. Especially if the ladies find a "new" restaurant and decide staying past dark. I use the Navtronics app at present, but it is not optimum. Starting the serious research now.

Looks like an advantage of the SIMRAD is that it can also run the sound system and has a bluetooth module as an add-on. Might avoid upgrading.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Sounds like you found a pretty cool system!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I have a 210 and a chartplotter, but have yet to see a reasonable way of making the two into one...
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

I know you could order the 2011 242 with a chart plotter. They mounted it in the cubby hole to the right bottom of the dash. Just seems like a really unhandy spot while you're underway.

It's a clean mount no doubt, and with the SIMRAD touchscreen it might be easy to use, but with it that low I'm not sure it would be easy to read and watch at speed.

I think the 7" screen is about the maximum size that can be mounted there. When I get back to my boat I'll take some measurements and do a little more pondering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Went over to West Marine today and held the SIMRAD GO7 in my hands. I think it is the right unit, but I need to do some more research and measuring. Nice unit though and compact. Screen appears to be big enough for my needs. Had a long discussion with the sales guy concerning transducers. Seems to get additional data other then what I currently have with the stock equipment I will have to go through hull or mount on the transom. Seems in-hull will only give depth. Not sure I want either or need either transducer other than what I have. The chart plotter is what I really need.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

OK, I've measured it and the Simrad GO7 won't fit the cubby hole. The GO5 is almost a perfect fit with the flush mount kit, but I'm having trouble finding the kit. I was really wanting the bigger screen, but now I am trying to decide which I want, bigger screen or flush mounted in the cubby hole. There's just not a lot of real estate left for mounting higher without getting in the line of sight.

Setting at the wheel, it will be ok to see with the cubby mounting, not as good as having it up front, but workable I think. It will also prevent sticky fingers from walking off with it.

Currently pondering.
"DIGGIN' IT"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Driller wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:04 pm OK, I've measured it and the Simrad GO7 won't fit the cubby hole. The GO5 is almost a perfect fit with the flush mount kit, but I'm having trouble finding the kit. I was really wanting the bigger screen, but now I am trying to decide which I want, bigger screen or flush mounted in the cubby hole. There's just not a lot of real estate left for mounting higher without getting in the line of sight.

Setting at the wheel, it will be ok to see with the cubby mounting, not as good as having it up front, but workable I think. It will also prevent sticky fingers from walking off with it.

Currently pondering.
Any pics allowing us to ponder as well, driller?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Here's a shot of the SIMRAD GO5. It all touchscreen like an iPhone. No knobs. This appeals to me because is makes for a larger screen and a smaller footprint.

It comes with a pedestal mount, but I am considering flush mounting it in the cubby hole to the right of the helm. "See early photo in the thread".

Likely I will not even hook up the transducer. I'm mainly interested in using the chart plotter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

The flush mount kit for the GO5 is almost exactly the same as the cubby hole mounting area. It measures 4.92" high X 6.18" wide. My measurements of the area this weekend were 5" high X 6-1/2" wide.

Almost a perfect fit.
"DIGGIN' IT"