Solar battery tender

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Solar battery tender

Post by jhnmdahl »

One solution for keeping a docked or trailered boat's batteries topped up without running an extension cord:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q83TGO/ref ... bvb0Q8D9MW

Note that the 5W, 10W, and 15W panels shown don't need the solar panel charger controller listed on the page to work - the controller is meant for use with other manufacturer's solar panels.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Solar battery tender

Post by thunder550 »

Post dig time!

Anyone using a solar tender? I was looking at them for my boat, it's kept on a trailer in a storage lot with no power accessible. Only problem (which is a nice problem to have, given the alternative) is that I'm in a covered spot. It's west facing so I do get a couple hours of sunlight in the afternoon. Since it's AZ we're talking about, it would be a few hours a day nearly 7 days a week. Is this enough daily time to keep the batteries topped off during the summer? Is it even worth it when the boat will get used at worst case every 2-3 weeks? I have a standard battery tender at home to use when I pull the batteries out during the winter.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

thunder550 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:48 pm Post dig time!

Anyone using a solar tender? I was looking at them for my boat, it's kept on a trailer in a storage lot with no power accessible. Only problem (which is a nice problem to have, given the alternative) is that I'm in a covered spot. It's west facing so I do get a couple hours of sunlight in the afternoon. Since it's AZ we're talking about, it would be a few hours a day nearly 7 days a week. Is this enough daily time to keep the batteries topped off during the summer? Is it even worth it when the boat will get used at worst case every 2-3 weeks? I have a standard battery tender at home to use when I pull the batteries out during the winter.
You don't use your boat in the winter? What's winter in Az?
Will they freeze?
Yes I would think for topping off that will be more than enough. Each boat is different on the amount of draw on the battery. I've gone that amount of time and longer between use and have never had a issue with a low or dead battery. So I never use a tender. Plenty of guys do though.
Last edited by Big Block Power on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:23 pm You don't use your boat in the winter? What's winter in Az?
Will they freeze?
Yes I would think for topping off that will be more than enough. Each boat is different on the about of draw on the battery. I've gone that amount of time and longer between use and have never had a issue with a low or dead battery. So I never use a tender. Plenty of guys do though.
I'm sure we will use it in the winter, just not every weekend like summer, so there will be long enough gaps where I'll want to pull the batteries and bring them home. We drop below freezing maybe 1-2 nights a year, but only by a couple degrees. Not enough to worry about winterizing anything. Coldest time of year we average highs in the mid 60s and lows in the mid 40s.

I'm probably over thinking the battery thing.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Heh, I was the only member here when I made that post :).

The 10 or 15 watt should keep it topped off as long as you’re not drawing power while it sits. And I haven’t used these ones, but have used the brand for other battery tenders with good results.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)