Bumpers

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Bumpers

Post by jhnmdahl »

Ended up picking up some Polyform F-1 bumpers based on their reputation and a comparison with the Taylor ones at a local shop. Quality was great, and they look pretty sharp. Pretty pleased overall, but I'd recommend picking up the inflator gadget for a few dollars more, as it took a bit of work to inflate them with a compressor and rubber cone inflator tool that came with the compressor

Fenders are:
https://www.polyformus.com/c-12-f-series.aspx

Inflator is:
https://www.polyformus.com/p-1-inflation-adapter.aspx
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Re: Bumpers

Post by TwoBurgers »

I'll add my thoughts based on buying what I thought would work vs what does work. Since I have the navy hull sides, dock rash is not something I am too interested in. When I got the boat, I purchased four nice color matched cylinder bumpers. I guess they are 5" across. I used them once and didn't feel they adequately protected the boat. My brother recommended the round Taylor bumpers - so I ordered two 15" in white. While they are large, they fit under the starboard front lift seat perfectly and protect the boat very well. As I am usually training a first mate (happily divorced), docking is mostly up to me, and the extra distance the 15" round bumpers give me makes docking stress free. I have the bumper lines pre-tied for the aft and mid cleats, which also allows room for lines. When I approach the dock, I have everything ready so all I have to do is get the boat along the dock, grab the line and tie her off. The large size of the bumpers also keeps my boat off the dock when someone inconsiderate ignores the no wake signs.

'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Those are big. I use the saying Never approach a dock Faster than you want to Hit it :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

That's a great saying my Dad preached to my brother and I often as kids. We learned in a 14' McKee Craft as kids.
The bumpers are huge, and often draw a few odd looks. IF someone comments, I make a big balls comment and laugh. However, they protect the boat like nothing else, so life is good.
Hard to see in the pic, but I often straddle a metal pole at Tim's, and the large bumpers help there too. I use the poles to grab on to as I nudge up against the dock. I avoid the traditional slips as I've see too many accidents - pontoon aluminum and fiberglass don't seem to get along well.
Chris
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Interesting.
Looks like something I might like. My boat will be all navy, and rock rash is something I want to totally avoid.
Do the 15" bumpers still allow you to load and unload people safely?
It looks like someone needs to get off first, and pull tension tight to the dock with another line.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

I've never had a problem boarding the boat. I try to train guests to step on the upper swim platform and then enter from the walk through.
As I said, I tied the bumper rope lengths to the correct length so they are quick to attach to the mid and stern cleats and are rest just above the water line. To tie the boat up, I use on 25' line I also connect to the mid and stern cleats. When I approach the dock, I slowly nudge the dock, and with the line in my hand, hop off and get control of the boat, then tie her off. The 25' line usually allows me to tie off to two dock cleats. If I need another line, I just grab another and tie the boat off properly. I use the same approach at the ramp, as I handle the boat by myself. It's a system that works for me. The dark hull sides show everything... but they sure look good all shined up.
Chris
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I'm ordering a set. Thanks..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

2bs you must have the quick release fender clips? If not I would add them. They look like they are in good spots. You have each end of your 25 foot line going to a cleat and tie the middle of the rope?
The bad part of my home dock at my brothers is the boat sticks past the end of the dock so most of the time we can't load on to the swim platform areas which sucks. So we get in through the bow or sundeck with carpets on them. No shoes though 99% of the time.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:40 am 2bs you must have the quick release fender clips? If not I would add them. They look like they are in good spots. You have each end of your 25 foot line going to a cleat and tie the middle of the rope?
The bad part of my home dock at my brothers is the boat sticks past the end of the dock so most of the time we can't load on to the swim platform areas which sucks. So we get in through the bow or sundeck with carpets on them. No shoes though 99% of the time.
No fender clips, but I do like that option/functionality. I have tied the bumper rope to length - the mid cleat bumper is a bit longer than the stern bumper. I have an open loop which I just put over one part of the cleat. Works like a charm.

Line - I try to use just one line tied off to the mid and stern cleat. That way, when I hop off the boat I can easily control the mass with just one line. Where I usually tie up for lunch, One line is enough to tie her up nice and snug against the fenders.

Chris
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

I remedied an issue I did have with the Taylor 15" bumpers... as the rubber is soft, debris would stick to the surface and leave slight hair like "scratches". I ordered fleece covers for the bumpers from Maine Coast Marine Products. So, the balls now live in a fleece blanket. :)\
Chris
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Reading all this talk about bumpers is going to get me in trouble. Girl friend has been around boats all her life and gives me that look any time I say bumper. Once I correct myself and say fenders all is well. Lol
2018 r5
2003 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Could just say, Hey get me that big black ball over there :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Lol.