Surge to Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes

cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Surge to Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes

Post by cmattj »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:22 pm
cmattj wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:14 pm My trailer is a 2017 model EZ-Loader with Electric 6 wheel brakes.. I was terrified to submerge it until they explained it's fine to leave it plugged when underwater..
It does stop amazing and better than any surge style trailer I've owned..
Does yours have the electric magnets Matt?
As I understand yes but able to operate due improvements in sealing wiring.. I'm old school as I used to unplug my trailers when getting them wet.. so far it's been wet 4 times so I'll see.
Tuscany wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:29 pm Boat trailer electric drum brakes are the same magnet style brakes, but the electronics are fully submersible.
Finally a weather pack connection that really works..

I do like not having to worry about checking fluid
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Matt, are you in salt water?
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:31 am Matt, are you in salt water?
He's 7 miles inland from what I remember. Fresh water.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:31 am Matt, are you in salt water?
Fresh water..
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm He's 7 miles inland from what I remember. Fresh water.
Yes.. actually 70 miles.. port of Stockton is the last stop of the inland water way from San Francisco.. turns to fresh water about 25 miles inland

Years ago if we launched in the bay we would re launch the boat just to rinse the trailer.

I got the strange looks the next morning when I asked the marina if I could just dunk the boat for a few minutes... haha..

Yes I'm that guy.. I hate what salt does to trailers
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

"Yes I'm that guy.. I hate what salt does to trailers."

Yes...I think we are all that guy (or gal) here matt! We can definitely relate. :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

So I have Dorsey trailer for my 262. I love the trailer, how the boat loads and pulls, how it sets, blah blah. I absolutely hate the hitch. It takes 10 minutes to hook up or unhook every time and my patience runs out at about 4 or 5 minutes. Not a good thing...

So I start looking at solutions. If I towed every weekend a new trailer might be the ticket, but I don't. I should have a new slip and lift this spring, (they're building them now) so the boat will get loaded and unloaded once a year.

There's a trailer guy in our area that says he can cut the hideous offending hitch off and weld a new hitch in, and replace the brake system, and make It all look factory. I've seen some of his work. But the brake system had me a bit worried. Hmm..

Then I remember Mr Nautie having trailer brake issues, and going electric over hydraulic, and Tuscanys same setup. And Matts all electric 6 wheel trailer. Hmm

So I've decided to HAPPILY cut this summbitch off. Stay tuned
20180113_121834.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I never much cared for the front hitch piece either, Ytmsn....only because of looks. That and the fact that the Dorsey trailer sat too low which means ramp scrapes when backing down steeper slopes. (looks sporty though)

Other than the hitch being ugly, you will still be accomplishing the same hook up steps. ie... latch, lights, chains, breakaway attachment. Do you have some miracle cure of getting rid of any of those? In any event...will be interesting to see your "new and improved" hitch.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Ytmsn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 am

Then I remember Mr Nautie having trailer brake issues, and going electric over hydraulic, and Tuscanys same setup. And Matts all electric 6 wheel trailer. Hmm
We haven't made the change just yet, so you are still the group guinea pig. Do be careful when making a trailer brake controller selection. I have found some that will not work /w Electric Over Hydraulic, just good to double check before you start cutting up trailers.

We, and by we I mean Mr. Nauti is thinking about getting a quote to do ours over next off season. Honestly I could most likley pull it off myself, but the brake lines on our trailer are older, and EoH runs a ton more pressure than surge so I would want to rerun lines as well. May just pay someone to go through that trouble.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

A7 lights, latch and chain are no problem. The issue is, when I unlatch the hitch (after making sure that hitch is down and the actuator is not engaged). I crank it up, and its supposed to come off the hitch, right?. Nope. Lets crank back down and fiddle with it. Yep, that should have it. Crank it back up. Nope, it wont come off. Back down. Fiddle again. The hitch is flat. Check. Everything is lubed. Check. I even chocked the wheels and pulled forward to relieve any presssure. Check. Okay we're good, crank it back up. Sucker still wont come off. Crank it back down. Fiddle, cuss, discuss... crank it. Up. Down. I'm getting pissed just writing about it...
Then it'll pop off easy as pie. WTHeck??

Now I go to put it back on, days or weeks later.. NOTHING has touched it since it came off. Crank it down on the ball... it won't go. Crank it back up. The latch is up, but the locking mechanism is forward. ARRG! Pry it back. Crank it down. No bueno. Crank it up. Crank it down. Several attempts later it'll slip on with a smile just to piss me off again.

You see why my blood pressure comes up? And why I'm willing to take a torch to it?

I talked to the trailer guy and he says I have options, as he changes hitches all the time. We'll see...
"Black Boats Matter"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Ahhhh, now I understand. Not working properly. Mine never had that issue. That would be frustrating.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

Ytmsn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:57 am A7 lights, latch and chain are no problem. The issue is, when I unlatch the hitch (after making sure that hitch is down and the actuator is not engaged). I crank it up, and its supposed to come off the hitch, right?. Nope. Lets crank back down and fiddle with it. Yep, that should have it. Crank it back up. Nope, it wont come off. Back down. Fiddle again. The hitch is flat. Check. Everything is lubed. Check. I even chocked the wheels and pulled forward to relieve any presssure. Check. Okay we're good, crank it back up. Sucker still wont come off. Crank it back down. Fiddle, cuss, discuss... crank it. Up. Down. I'm getting pissed just writing about it...
Then it'll pop off easy as pie. WTHeck??

Now I go to put it back on, days or weeks later.. NOTHING has touched it since it came off. Crank it down on the ball... it won't go. Crank it back up. The latch is up, but the locking mechanism is forward. ARRG! Pry it back. Crank it down. No bueno. Crank it up. Crank it down. Several attempts later it'll slip on with a smile just to piss me off again.

You see why my blood pressure comes up? And why I'm willing to take a torch to it?

I talked to the trailer guy and he says I have options, as he changes hitches all the time. We'll see...
That is so true! Those hitches are awful for exactly the reason you are stating. My father has one for his boat and it is a PIA. Hammer, Crowbar, Screwdriver, and lots of patience on some days to hook or unhook! I guess that's why I always get the call, Hey, do you minding bringing the boat back from the lake for me? It would help you ole dad out a lot! :D
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I had one two boats ago with my cuddy cabin and swore I would never have another one. It's amazing what a difference it makes when you can just hook up or unhook and be on about your business.
"Black Boats Matter"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I've never had the sticking trailer hitch issue. I know this is obvious but you are using the 2 5/16" size correct?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:21 pm I've never had the sticking trailer hitch issue. I know this is obvious but you are using the 2 5/16" size correct?
Yes, we have always used the proper ball. The issue is with the release that is inside the hitch. Sometimes when you pull the lever up it won't release inside and you have to crank it back down and try to get it to release. Then often times when you are trying to hook up the release inside the hitch won't open properly and allow the hitch to sit down on the ball so out comes the hammer and screw driver. The hitch we had is always lubed and it's really weird as many times there is appears to be no reason for it to react this way. At least that is my experience with that style of hitch.
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

😊 It's not the ball..
"Black Boats Matter"