Basic safety equipment

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Basic safety equipment

Post by jhnmdahl »

Made a list of basic safety equipment (not all-inclusive) to ensure a new boat is properly equipped recently, based on a 21-foot inland lake boat.
The list of recommended items, compiled from multiple sources, included:

Required:
A set of type I, II, or III life jackets for each person on board, plus a type IV (throwable) for boats over 16 ft.
B-1 fire extinguisher (provided with boat) - need B-2 if 26-39 ft, or two B-1
Sounding device (horn provided with boat)
Navigation lights (provided with boat)
Engine blower (provided with boat)

Optional:
Collapsible paddle for moving about if engine fails
Visual distress signals not required apart from coastal waters or seas, otherwise need a night type over 16 ft and day and night types over 26 ft
Anchor and line (can use line to be towed as well)
Marine band radio
Bilge pump (included with boat)
First aid kit/suntan lotion

Please chime in with other thoughts or suggestions,

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Re: safety equipment

Post by TwoBurgers »

Good list John.
After reading about a Cobalt that sank in the north east (many mistakes...), I decided to add a large manual water pump (a backup electric pump would be ideal).
I also added a second fire extinguisher in the bow compartment. I always thought it was odd to mount the fire extinguisher at the rear seat storage compartment just forward of the engine. Also worth noting I try to remember to test the bilge pump in the spring to make sure it pumps water, not just turns on.
I also carry a Stanley rechargeable lithium ion spot light.
Also carry two anchors... I'm somewhat OC.
I keep a whistle attached to the emergency cut off lanyard and a small air horn in the cockpit cubby.
I have a stainless multi tool in the glovebox... just in case I need to cut rope from the props...
Lastly have a signal flag when the kiddos are in the water/fall off a pull behind.
Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Basic safety equipment

Post by jhnmdahl »

I think two anchors is not always obvious, but smart - there are times when you don't want your boat wagging around in the wind or current off a single anchor line.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes very true on the fire extinguisher under the rear seat. Also all of my life jackets are in the engine area. I have three anchors. One big and two smaller just too hold her. I love the skier down flag. We don't have to use it here but I think we should.I'm for it. We have a air horn also. Leatherman knife also. Yes I have enough I think to be safe. Extra oil and power steering fluid and trim oil. 2 batteries and a small jump pack.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Required:
A set of type I, II, or III life jackets for each person on board, plus a type IV (throwable) for boats over 16 ft.

One thing to note in this excellent post by John.
A major requirement of the Type IV throwable PFD is that it has to be within arms reach.

boating rules pfd.jpg

My wife and I see this one violated all the time as we watch boats come and go at the ramp and docks.

We keep ours tucked in behind the captain's chair at the helm. Always a kudos by the Coast Guard when they do our Courtesy Vessel Check.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

Good thread, I found it after posting something similar about wanting to get a Coast Guard safety inspection.
Pretty sure we have all the required items, some of the optional ones too.

How many of you have a VHF radio on board? If you do, does anyone in your area use it?
I always thought it would be a good way to contact local law enforcement, but it turns out their presence is probably related to how much boating activity there is.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Mike in SC wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:27 am Good thread, I found it after posting something similar about wanting to get a Coast Guard safety inspection.
Pretty sure we have all the required items, some of the optional ones too.

How many of you have a VHF radio on board? If you do, does anyone in your area use it?
I always thought it would be a good way to contact local law enforcement, but it turns out their presence is probably related to how much boating activity there is.
I keep a handheld VHF in the glovebox.

For safety equipment, I also have fire starters and some of those foil space blankets in case we need to spend the night somewhere. In addition, I also have 1/2 case of stored water on board for emergency drinking.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

On my old boat I had a VHF radio since I used to go to the islands off the coast of California. Now that my boat is in Lake Tahoe 100% of the time, I skipped adding one to this boat. If I did, it would be portable.

One thing I have always had is tow insurance. BoatUS has tow boats on Lake Tahoe so I am subscribed to their service.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA