Pump out head

Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Pump out head

Post by Ytmsn »

I have a winterize question. I have a pump out head on my 262. I've never had a pump out before, and as near as I can tell the waste tank is at the bottom of the plastic toilet. I had it pumped this weekend but there still an inch or two of chemical in the bottom of the tank. Is this normal?

The pump they used had a rubber seal that went over the pump port, and it just caused the chemical in the toilet to gurgle. It didn't really pump anything out.. I thought there would be something that would go down in there like a long line or hose? Is it supposed to just work off of a vacuum?

In the past I could disconnect the waste tank and take it out to dump, but this thing is all plummed in and bolted down..

The guy that was running the pump said it won't ever get everything out. So do I just dump antifreeze in there and call it good?

A buddy at the dock has a Chaparral with a pump out head and he actually has a porcelain toilet and a black waste tank that gets pumped, but his plumbing is all PVC pipe. Mine is flex tube. It just seems like the flex tube and vacuum pump wouldn't work well together. And I've never seen flex tube that eventually didn't need to be replaced from cracks. It just seems like a really poor design...
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pump out head

Post by AsLan7 »

Ytmsn wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:53 am I have a winterize question. I have a pump out head on my 262. I've never had a pump out before, and as near as I can tell the waste tank is at the bottom of the plastic toilet. I had it pumped this weekend but there still an inch or two of chemical in the bottom of the tank. Is this normal?

The pump they used had a rubber seal that went over the pump port, and it just caused the chemical in the toilet to gurgle. It didn't really pump anything out.. I thought there would be something that would go down in there like a long line or hose? Is it supposed to just work off of a vacuum?

In the past I could disconnect the waste tank and take it out to dump, but this thing is all plummed in and bolted down..

The guy that was running the pump said it won't ever get everything out. So do I just dump antifreeze in there and call it good?

A buddy at the dock has a Chaparral with a pump out head and he actually has a porcelain toilet and a black waste tank that gets pumped, but his plumbing is all PVC pipe. Mine is flex tube. It just seems like the flex tube and vacuum pump wouldn't work well together. And I've never seen flex tube that eventually didn't need to be replaced from cracks. It just seems like a really poor design...

I'm glad you asked this Ytmsn as I am wonderin' the same thing. I have never had a pump out head either. Curious to see the answers here.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Is yours plumbed with flex pipe?
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Ytmsn wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 am Is yours plumbed with flex pipe?
yes
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I would just stick your head in there and see exactly how much is left. If you have some just take a sponge and suck it up with that. After a few times it should get dry.:-)
Glad I could help.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm I would just stick your head in there and see exactly how much is left. If you have some just take a sponge and suck it up with that. After a few times it should get dry.:-)
Glad I could help.

I would but I don't want my toupee to fall in their and suck it up. Plus it turned permanently blue from the last time I did that and people began to comment on my bob barker look.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:45 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm I would just stick your head in there and see exactly how much is left. If you have some just take a sponge and suck it up with that. After a few times it should get dry.:-)
Glad I could help.

I would but I don't want my toupee to fall in their and suck it up. Plus it turned permanently blue from the last time I did that and people began to comment on my bob barker look.
Bob has game A7..

I have my water lever open for my pump out.. lights show empty on panel.
I've told everyone it's unplugged as I'm unsure how to keep it clean as it's a fixed porcelain type.
My other boat the pump out was removable.

I'm ready to hear from the pump out pros as well..
Or the west marine vacuum pump could be the ugly answer
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:45 pm
Glad I could help.

That's awesome Bob 7 :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

You are right. The holding tank in the plastic portipotty pump outs are in the bottom of the unit 2.5 gallons. I would expect to still see something at the bottom after pumping.

I did mine last week. They hooked up, sucked out the tank in about 20 seconds, and that was it. My tank is somewhere under the bow area, but I'm sure there is probably a little left. I tossed in a little pink antifreeze and flushed it.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine