Optimum No Rinse Car Wash

NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Optimum No Rinse Car Wash

Post by NautiGirl »

Katie thinks I am crazy, but I refuse to take my car / truck through an automatic car wash. Something about brushes and drying towels that have cleaned God knows how many cars before mine banging up against my paint just makes me cringe. Literally. Seems like a great way to get swirls all over my nice black car. Touchless automatics are ok, but they really struggle to get off winter road grime and I worry the soaps they use are not doing my wax any favors.

So I did some digging on autogeek.net and stumbled upon Optimum No Rinse or ONR as the cool kids call it. I just tried it in the garage since it’s about 20 degrees in Kentucky. Took 1 gallon of warm water, some microfiber cloths, a drying towel, and the car is totally clean without flooding the garage floor.

Says it works great on gel coats, but honestly I think that would be more work than its worth. Defiantly worth checking out if you live in a cold climate and cant stand a dirty car. https://optimumcarcare.com/product/opti ... ash-shine1
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Optimum No Rinse Car Wash

Post by AsLan7 »

Thanks for the info, Jeff.

Looks like a product put out by Rain-X..No?

In any event, we may give it a try. Seems like a good product between washes if the car is just lightly dirty.
Of course with the salt and grime caked on our cars during the winter, I'd be hesitant.

I used to avoid the Car Wash brushes like the plague. Now I've just resigned myself to the fact that for our everyday cars, they are plenty fine.
With any new or show cars though...No way!

Zaino Z6 for them. :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Rain-X had something similar, but ONR is made by Optimum Polymer Technologies. The BMW wasn’t too dirty, if it was really full of grime I think I would have taken it to the hand wash bay at the carwash and sprayed it off first. Also finished it up with a coat of Adams H20, thanks BBP.

Zaino Z6 is good stuff. I tried collinite 845 for the first time this fall. Don't think you get as deep a shine as some other options, but the stuff has held up way better this winter. Trade off I guess.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:13 pm Rain-X had something similar, but ONR is made by Optimum Polymer Technologies. The BMW wasn’t too dirty, if it was really full of grime I think I would have taken it to the hand wash bay at the carwash and sprayed it off first. Also finished it up with a coat of Adams H20, thanks BBP.

Zaino Z6 is good stuff. I tried collinite 845 for the first time this fall. Don't think you get as deep a shine as some other options, but the stuff has held up way better this winter. Trade off I guess.
Roger that. Used to use Collinite on our Fountain. Good but not great. Smells good though.

Btw, love the smell and durability of Zaino.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:57 pm Katie thinks I am crazy, but I refuse to take my car / truck through an automatic car wash. Something about brushes and drying towels that have cleaned God knows how many cars before mine banging up against my paint just makes me cringe. Literally. Seems like a great way to get swirls all over my nice black car. Touchless automatics are ok, but they really struggle to get off winter road grime and I worry the soaps they use are not doing my wax any favors.

So I did some digging on autogeek.net and stumbled upon Optimum No Rinse or ONR as the cool kids call it. I just tried it in the garage since it’s about 20 degrees in Kentucky. Took 1 gallon of warm water, some microfiber cloths, a drying towel, and the car is totally clean without flooding the garage floor.

Says it works great on gel coats, but honestly I think that would be more work than its worth. Defiantly worth checking out if you live in a cold climate and cant stand a dirty car. https://optimumcarcare.com/product/opti ... ash-shine1
It sounds interesting. With my black car I used to hose wash the vehicle and then blow dry it with leaf blower. I never touched it with anything. It stayed swirl free for a year then the hell with that. Lol
So how do you think it worked. Without rinsing it I would think you would grind in the gravel and crap from the road.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:47 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:57 pm Katie thinks I am crazy, but I refuse to take my car / truck through an automatic car wash. Something about brushes and drying towels that have cleaned God knows how many cars before mine banging up against my paint just makes me cringe. Literally. Seems like a great way to get swirls all over my nice black car. Touchless automatics are ok, but they really struggle to get off winter road grime and I worry the soaps they use are not doing my wax any favors.

It sounds interesting. With my black car I used to hose wash the vehicle and then blow dry it with leaf blower. I never touched it with anything. It stayed swirl free for a year then the hell with that. Lol
So how do you think it worked. Without rinsing it I would think you would grind in the gravel and crap from the road.
The car is clean, but it really didnt have any snow or grime on it just a little bit of road salt from our sometimes over enthusiastic road crews in KY. They have a budget for a giant stockpile of salt, so we have to turn roads white with salt at even the mention of snow.

It was nice to wash it in the warm garage. I do think I would have sprayed it off first if it was really dirty. Don't think I would use it in the summer, but for the winter I would much rather do this than drive through a car wash. Did a final coat of spray detailer which I think really helped get the shine back.

The guys on autogeek.net swear by it, and those guys are crazy particular on their car care. Good enough for them good enough for me.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes I like autogeeks.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP