2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by Big Block Power »

ajcampen wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:55 am Thanx BR99.....wish I could take credit for that one, but it was all AJCampen. He's a Cobalt findin' machine!
Oops, sorry about that Anslan. AJ, I'll listen to you next time. :)
I’ll keep my eye out for you....and give you my price opinion. It took me a while to find mine.

What’s everyone’s opinion on this boat? No trailer but 300 hp merc

https://www.billsmarineinc.com/default. ... dInventory
I like but I would want a v6 :-) maybe I meant a 496 :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

We shall keep an eye out for a 220 with the 300hp V8 (or more), BR99.
Don’t worry: one will come available. It’s just a matter of time as we are getting into the boating season shortly. 👍😎
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sorry in there description it said 300hp picture I missed last night but saw it today. V6 wawaw.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

I thought I had one via a FB ad this morning but its a 260hp...going in the wrong direction in hp!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Thanks but the listing is wrong for that boat. It is another one with a V6/280, not a V8/300. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:24 am
Sorry in there description it said 300hp picture I missed last night but saw it today. V6 wawaw.
I posted reply before I saw this post. I see these errors quite bit. I usually go by the pictures and then call tend dealer. In this case it was confirmed as a V6/280.
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

From what I've seen in the ads, the 220s coming up for sale are ranging from a low of $51,900 (Arkansas boat - sold) to the 2014 boat in Warsaw, asking $55,000 for a V8/270 HP. Then there are boats that are closer to $57,000 with a V8, but including a folding tower. But I can buy a new lightly equipped 220 with V8/300 for that price. When I pointed that out to the guy in Warsaw, I didn't hear back from him.

There is no question that a V8/300 would be a better performer in the 210 or the 220. And I know that a bigger boat is better. But, in the end, I've decided it comes down to affordability, budget and what I really need. Where we have our cabin, we boat in earnest from July 1 (after the kids get out of school) until the August long weekend. We are at the lake for a total of 10 weekends during that period and boat on one of the largest inland lakes in North America which sees many more rough lake days than calm days. A friend who has boated in the same lake community for years says he averages about 15 hours of engine run time a season. I think the new 210 with the V6/280 is the best pick of what is currently available.

It just seems a bit "out there" to spend $85,000 CAD (tax and trailer in - $69,000USD) on a new 220S V8/300 when a new 210 V6/280 can be had for $63,00 CAD tax and trailer in (~$51,000USD). Aside form the AR boat, most of the asking prices are close to the cost of a new boat, more lightly equipped. There is no question that the 220 with a V8 will be the "better" boat, but in the end, the 210 is a beautiful boat, with a heavy, deep V design which will ride well through the 1' - 2' chop (and bigger) the lake routinely throws up and it rewards with pride of ownership over lesser quality boats with bigger engines. My kids are 8 and 11, so even with 4 adults in the boat, I doubt I'll have any difficulty pulling them up on skis with a V6/280 and if I'm wrong, in 2 years I can sell or trade this boat for $5,000 - $7,000 less than I paid for it and get a larger and more powerful boat.

To be honest, when I think about it, while importing a used boat from the US isn't that big a deal, getting a 4 year old boat with 1 year of warranty left on the engine/outdrive and nothing on the rest of the boat (save for the hull warranty) isn't that appealing to me. My friend (mentioned above) had an older Four Winns last year and threw a rod. He hadn't bought the boat from the local dealer and waited in line for service for the rest of the season. Buying a boat from the local dealer has its advantages. I have 5 years of powertrain warranty and a dealer who will put me in line before boats bought elsewhere to get me back on the water quickly - important in a short boating season.

I'd like to than everyone for their help. Now, I'm buying an inexpensive trailer for this boat - any thoughts on Shorelander? :)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shorelander is a ok trailer. Sea Ray used them and may still use them.
Power is different to all people. On my 2004 Cobalt 200 It pulled the kids all day long no real issues with the 350 mag 300hp. But I hated it compared to my crownline 202 with the same engine. For some reason the engine in the cobalt just seemed like it was weak. It had a b3 drive and was a dog out of the hole loaded up. The crown had a alpha 1 with a rev4 prop and was a rocket. So I know I expect more out of my power plant than most. Heck I wasn't happy with a 8.1gi in my 220. I'm personally boat alot like you and same water I just couldn't imagine the v6 I hope it works for you and prove me wrong.
Also a very valid point on the dealer. I'm lucky my best friend owns one here. Also I've never needed him either on all of my boats.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:41 pm Shorelander is a ok trailer. Sea Ray used them and may still use them.
Power is different to all people. On my 2004 Cobalt 200 It pulled the kids all day long no real issues with the 350 mag 300hp. But I hated it compared to my crownline 202 with the same engine. For some reason the engine in the cobalt just seemed like it was weak. It had a b3 drive and was a dog out of the hole loaded up. The crown had a alpha 1 with a rev4 prop and was a rocket. So I know I expect more out of my power plant than most. Heck I wasn't happy with a 8.1gi in my 220. I'm personally boat alot like you and same water I just couldn't imagine the v6 I hope it works for you and prove me wrong.
Also a very valid point on the dealer. I'm lucky my best friend owns one here. Also I've never needed him either on all of my boats.
I was perusing this forum today and came across a link to an article written by a Cobalt (and other makes) dealer(Hoffmaster) comparing Mercruiser power and Volvo Penta. What was interesting in the article was that the marina owner/boat dealer (Joe Hoffmaster) offers an opinion on suggested power, based on boat weight. For boats in the 210 and 220 weight class he recommended a 5 - 5.7L engine. The article was written quite a few years ago and on a whim, I called the dealer and got Joe on the phone. Joe immediately told me that the article was written well before the current generation of Volvo Penta engines. In his opinion (and exact words) he said, the entire game has changed in the last 5 years with today’s V6/280 outperforming a 5L V8 from 5 years ago. He said the V6 280 easily outperforms the previous V8/270 and approached the performance of the old V8/300. In his exact words: “that V6/280 is a monster compared to earlier engines”. He said the combination of variable valve timing and direct fuel injection has increased torque and made the torque band wider across the power band. So while this engine isn’t as powerful as today’s V8/300, he feels it is more than adequate to carry 6 people while popping an adult skier out of the water.

I asked Joe why I was having difficulty finding new boats (220) with the V8/300, with most being equipped with the V6/280, even in boats costing $81,000USD? His answer was despite initial resistance, that package has been successful since 2016 and they haven’t had complaints.

There is no doubt that more power can never hurt, but that in this case it’s likely not necessary for most. Joe said something else that I found interesting with respect to boat selection for my large lake. He said everyone quotes dead rise for boats (21 degrees for the 210/220, I believe), but he said that the measurement is taken at the stern and no one drives boats backwards into waves. He said a good measure of how a boat will perform on a rougher lake is its forward angle of attack. In my case, he felt unless I needed the extra space in the 220, the 210 was a better boat for my lake. He says it has more freeboard than the 220 and a more aggressive angle of attack.

So, all of this is just one guys opinion and I appreciate there are many boater on this forum who might not agree with Joe’s view. But.. Joe has no angle with expressing his views as he knows I won’t be buying a boat from him. He was just being helpful. With my local dealer trying to sell me a boat, I was concerned he would say anything about the powertrain to get the boat sold. After speaking to Joe today, I feel more confident that the power in this new 210 is not a poor decision. I will, of course be making the sale subject to a sea trial, but for now, I think this boat is the best choice for me when budget is considered.

As I’ve said before though, I appreciate yours and everyone’s input.

PS Joes article: http://www.hoffmasters.com/power.html
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

He said everyone quotes dead rise for boats (21 degrees for the 210/220, I believe), but he said that the measurement is taken at the stern and no one drives boats backwards into waves. He said a good measure of how a boat will perform on a rougher lake is its forward angle of attack. In my case, he felt unless I needed the extra space in the 220, the 210 was a better boat for my lake. He says it has more freeboard than the 220 and a more aggressive angle of attack.

Well....Yes and no.

He’s correct in the fact that deadrise is measured at the transom.

Our first boat had a TRUE deep vee hull—-24 degree deadrise from bow to stern. It’s what made the Donzi and Cigarette boats so fast in rough water. ...& how they won so many races in adverse conditions. The boat rocked from side to side more (not as stable) yet cut through the water more effectively. At the time, 24 degrees was found to be the optimum combination of speed and stability. This hull was developed by Ray Hunt in the fifties & sixties.

http://www.huntdesigns.com/deepv.php

Then the variable (aka modified) deadrise hull came to be. Sacrifice some ride for more stability (so folks would not rock around as much) by varying the deadrise toward the bow. This is the most common hull for family boating...particularly in runabouts. Ie Cobalt.

Today, a deep vee is considered 20 degrees or more at the transom which then varies toward the bow up to 25 degrees with reverse chines to help with spray and stability.

The less deadrise, the more stability but the more pounding you’ll take. (Ski boats are a perfect example as they want the flat competition Ski wakes).

Yes, no one drives fast backwards.
What he fails to mention (really just a salesman tactic), is that when you’re up on plane moving along, the back third of the boat is in the water. Yes, deadrise back there matters if you don’t want the crap beat out of you.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 pm
He said everyone quotes dead rise for boats (21 degrees for the 210/220, I believe), but he said that the measurement is taken at the stern and no one drives boats backwards into waves. He said a good measure of how a boat will perform on a rougher lake is its forward angle of attack. In my case, he felt unless I needed the extra space in the 220, the 210 was a better boat for my lake. He says it has more freeboard than the 220 and a more aggressive angle of attack.

Well....Yes and no.

He’s correct in the fact that deadrise is measured at the transom.

Our first boat had a TRUE deep vee hull—-24 degree deadrise from bow to stern. It’s what made the Donzi and Cigarette boats so fast in rough water. ...& how they won so many races in adverse conditions. The boat rocked from side to side more (not as stable) yet cut through the water more effectively. At the time, 24 degrees was found to be the optimum combination of speed and stability. This hull was developed by Ray Hunt in the fifties & sixties.

http://www.huntdesigns.com/deepv.php

Then the variable (aka modified) deadrise hull came to be. Sacrifice some ride for more stability (so folks would not rock around as much) by varying the deadrise toward the bow. This is the most common hull for family boating...particularly in runabouts. Ie Cobalt.

Today, a deep vee is considered 20 degrees or more at the transom which then varies toward the bow up to 25 degrees with reverse chines to help with spray and stability.

The less deadrise, the more stability but the more pounding you’ll take. (Ski boats are a perfect example as they want the flat competition Ski wakes).

Yes, no one drives fast backwards.
What he fails to mention (really just a salesman tactic), is that when you’re up on plane moving along, the back third of the boat is in the water. Yes, deadrise back there matters if you don’t want the crap beat out of you.

Great additional info. Thanks. B
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Did they accept your offer? Are you the proud new owner?
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

ajcampen wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 am Did they accept your offer? Are you the proud new owner?
I have a deal in place on the 210, but still waffling. I found two new 2017 220S WSS in another province which would avoid me having to pay the provincial tax (about $4,000USD), but at first dealer didn’t want to sell out of territory. I have a business address in that province though so they said they can deal with me. As far as I know, the dealers have 30% margin plus whatever other incentives there are at this time of year. I offered msrp less 30%, but they had some ridiculous freight and prep charges amounting to 14% of the boats msrp which I said we could deal with later. He is taking the offer to management so I’m waiting. It’s got a Merc 300 DP for power. Not my first choice but there it is. I’m meeting with my local dealer tomorrow to sit on both the 210 and 220 they have. I’ve built a basic 220 with V8/300 Volvo and asked them to price it. I guess I’ll see what they say and hopefully will have an answer from the out of town dealer tomorrow as well. This whole process is giving me a headache. :)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'll cross my fingers for you. I love the wss series :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!