A25 Owners -

(A25, A28, A36, A40)
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

A25 Owners -

Post by Ballvice »

Wondering if there are any A25 owners out there that can comment -

Did you look at the R7's before buying and what do you think of the A25?

I think it's tool small for my taste -but - it's the sexiest beast out there.
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: A25 Owners -

Post by liquid »

Ever since i read this I've been kicking it around. I never even considered owning an A series... now I'm seriously considering it. That A25 might be just what the doctor ordered once the boys start getting big.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: A25 Owners

Post by AsLan7 »

Bump....any A25 Owner's out there or lurking??

Since this model was discontinued, maybe an A28 owner wants to chime in? ....anyone....anyone. Bueller??
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

We've got an A25 owner here... Just can't remember who! And I think he's from our area... I remember that much!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:08 pm We've got an A25 owner here... Just can't remember who! And I think he's from our area... I remember that much!
Ridgeback :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Yes that's him! Haven't heard from him in a while
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:35 pm Yes that's him! Haven't heard from him in a while
He's around. Pops in and out.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

In-n-out. This site just stokes my intolerance for not being able to get out on the water :x . But, what are you going to do?

To directly answer the question, we did look at the R5 and the R7. The leading contender was the 242. Originally my wife wanted a head compartment. After searching, searching, and more searching and not being able to find what we wanted, big block (merc) with head compartment and her wanting something to haul everyone we know + everyone they know around the lake, we broadened the search.
Ultimately, after talking to others, and realizing that we boat on a 4500 acre lake 95% of the time, she gave up on the head compartment. That, coupled with some research and good timing put us on the A25. There really wasn't any reason not to buy the R7 based on the merits of the boat. We probably could have saved some money and it would have been more fitting for our middle age infancy :D, the speed was there and they are good looking boats.

The A25, I have zero regrets. It is more boat than I thought I would ever own, and more than I need. It is a bit inconvenient with the 20' slip length limit on our lake. However, I have a boat that I can take to any body of water that I have ever thought about boating on. There is soft upholstery everywhere to keep my little ones from bouncing off of anything hard. Looking at comparable Sea Rays at the boat show, the first thing my wife noticed was how much deeper the bow seating was (important for Mom's with little ones on board). We have storage on top of storage, almost too much. Sure, you can pull the potty out and use that space, but I like under the seat. The boat is laid out very well for our use. On Labor Day, we had 15 people on board. 6 adults. 3 teens, and 6 smaller than teens. Pulling water toys was not a problem. Rubbing sweaty body parts on each other was not a problem.

We are on a smallish lake and the marinas really aren't configured for bigger boats. This is my first boat, but I've been boating my entire life. I wouldn't want to navigate to the pumps in anything bigger. When underway, I feel a bit guilty for the wake this thing puts out. Again, I'm on a smaller lake and 20' boats and pontoons are the norm. Towing isn't an issue either. It is big and you know it is there behind and Expedition and F250 with a 7.3. Navigating strip malls and fast food joints isn't an issue with a boat this size. Again, not a problem, but I wouldn't want any bigger.

On the water, I would NOT give up my big block. Having said that, the swim platform is the only thing I like better. I really, really, thought it was gimmicky at first and was embarrassed to let it down in front of our boating friends. I'm pretty modest and not flashy. This just wasn't by style. However, when the water temps got comfy, it was without a doubt my favorite place on the boat. The kids can spend endless amounts of time playing back there without having to swim or float as the water comes up much higher on them. Back to the motor. The economy is very reasonable. We made a 90 mile round trip at an average of about 36mph in October. I'm thinking it was around 40 gallons of fuel or a little more. 15 up and 25 back. Reasonable enough. Pulling any water toy to this point has been a non issue with any passenger load. Ride is fantastic with water conditions within reason. My daughter slept for almost an hour in 18-24" wind driven chop on the Ohio River on that October trip (white caps) while running in the low 40's to get back to the trailer.

That's more than you asked and maybe more than you wanted to know. Hopefully it made sense. In short, I love the boat I have. I think the R7 is a great boat. For someone else. If I were buying an R series, it would be the R5 and is probably a more fair comparison.
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice write up 2RB.
Thank you!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
chrisjrockwell
Commander
Commander

Re: A25 Owners

Post by chrisjrockwell »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 pm Bump....any A25 Owner's out there or lurking??

Since this model was discontinued, maybe an A28 owner wants to chime in? ....anyone....anyone. Bueller??
A little late to this thread but we own a 2011 A25 with the Volvo 8.1 Gi. We love it. I was very close to buying the R7 from a dealer in KY but then found the A25 Pre-owned with low hours. I initially thought the As were a little TOO nice. I have 4 kids and didn't want them tearing up such a nice boat. But I have to say, I really like the A25. Beautifully designed, roomy, comfortable, durable, good storage, rides well... and I really like the hydraulic swim platform for lounging and getting in and out of the boat (though I really have to find a way to disconnect that safety tone that makes sound like I'm backing an excavator)

My brother has a 2011 262 and I like that as well. A little lighter and faster than my A. Faster hole shot. I really liked the R7 too..especially the tower and the windlass. I didn't think we needed the head and appreciate the extra room on our A25.

Hope all that helps.
"Nessie"
2011 Cobalt A25
Lake Cumberland, KY
Columbus, Ohio
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Thanks for the write-up CJR!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Jmein1
Ensign
Ensign

Re: A25 Owners - HELP

Post by Jmein1 »

Looking for help. Just bought a 2011 A25. I have no working gauges. Someone has been under the dash and pulled the wires from the harness that connected to the gauges. Cobalt sent me a wire diagram but it is not legible and they say that is the best they have. Hoping someone could snap a pic of theirs so I can get this thing on the water. I'm willing to pay for the trouble. I have the boat at a local dealer and they are saying the same thing they are shooting in the dark without a legible diagram. Or if anyone else out there has any ideas??
thanks
Jeff
mtwbldr
Commander
Commander

Re: A25 Owners - HELP

Post by mtwbldr »

Jmein1 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:06 pm Looking for help. Just bought a 2011 A25. I have no working gauges. Someone has been under the dash and pulled the wires from the harness that connected to the gauges. Cobalt sent me a wire diagram but it is not legible and they say that is the best they have. Hoping someone could snap a pic of theirs so I can get this thing on the water. I'm willing to pay for the trouble. I have the boat at a local dealer and they are saying the same thing they are shooting in the dark without a legible diagram. Or if anyone else out there has any ideas??
thanks
Jeff
Hi Jeff
Congrats on your purchase. We love our A25 as you will yours. Sorry someone would pull wires and treat her that way. Anyway, I’m heading up to my boat tomorrow and happy to send you photos of the wiring under my dash. We also have a 2011 so hopefully everything should match up and get you on the water!
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

Good deal!
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Jmein1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jmein1 »

That would be great. The wires come out of all the gauges and run to a white plug under the dash. I’m pretty sure that is where my problem is. The wires on both sides of the plug aren’t the same color so unfortunately it’s not dummy proof. I’m pretty excited to get it on the water. From everything I have read it’s a great boat. Thanks again!
Jeff