R5 WSS Surf Sea Trial

EndoTiger
Commander
Commander

R5 WSS Surf Sea Trial

Post by EndoTiger »

I did a sea trial on a 2017 R5 surf today. It's actually the first Cobalt I've ever driven. The boat was fantastic, but I did have a question regarding handling. The boat was perfect in a straight line, but it did seem a little sloppy when turned hard under decent power. It just didn't seem to really hook up like I expected from everything I had read about cobalt handling in general. My question is whether this is a known characteristic of the forward drive in the Surf models, and whether I should expect the steering to feel sharper in a standard drive model. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
2016 R3 WSS
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: R5 WSS Surf Sea Trial

Post by Tuscany »

My boat digs right in a corner and holds it. It makes sense that the forward drive changes the handling characteristics because the drive angle in relationship to the hull is different.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey endotiger. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us my friend!

I have yet to drive the forward facing drives so I cannot comment on their handling characteristics.
...rear drives...well they have fantastic handling characteristics.

Hope you stay awhile. Did you take any pics during your sea trial?

Again, welcome aboard!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
EndoTiger
Commander
Commander

Post by EndoTiger »

Thanks guys. That makes sense for sure. AsLan7, I did take a couple pics! I'll see if I can figure out how to post them here. Although my question sounded a little negative I guess, rest assured the boat was amazing. By FAR the most impressive boat I've ever been on. I can't stop thinking about it actually!
2016 R3 WSS
EndoTiger
Commander
Commander

Post by EndoTiger »

Here are a couple pics from the sea trial:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 R3 WSS
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I can't help you as far as the forward drive. But I can tell you that's one good looking boat.
2018 r5
2003 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

EndoTiger wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:37 pm Thanks guys. That makes sense for sure. AsLan7, I did take a couple pics! I'll see if I can figure out how to post them here. Although my question sounded a little negative I guess, rest assured the boat was amazing. By FAR the most impressive boat I've ever been on. I can't stop thinking about it actually!
Very cool. How close are you too buying it? Any details on it?
I don't think any of us took anything as a negative :-) I as well agree with what Tuscany says. The forward drive has to change handling a bit. They're just isn't enough of them out there for us to hear about them. Where do you boat?
What boat are you coming off of?
It is very Sharp.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

That is one sweet looking ride. How are your negotiations going?
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
EndoTiger
Commander
Commander

Post by EndoTiger »

This R5 Surf is the last 2017 at the dealer I'm working with. I called them with interest in an R5 (not a surf model), and they wanted me to come out and look at this one. They need to sell it, so they're offering it at a decent discount (at least I think it's a decent discount). So my original intent was not to get a Surf model, but I'm definitely intrigued. I've never done the surf thing, but everything I hear is that it's a total blast. Where we're at now: I've given them my specs for how I'd order an ideal R5, and they said they'd get back to me this week and let me know what they can do on that. I'll compare that with what they're offering on the Surf model and go from there.

I'm not in a rush. It's the end of a season and my goal is to be ready to boat next season. Y'all might think I'm nuts, but this will be my first boat. I've done quite a bit of boating in my life, but it's never been mine! The boat will mostly be used on Clarks Hill Lake (also called Lake Thurmond) on the border between Georgia and South Carolina.
2016 R3 WSS
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

"Y'all might think I'm nuts, but this will be my first boat. I've done quite a bit of boating in my life, but it's never been mine"

Nope. You're right where you should be endoT. You will NOT regret your Cobalt purchase. Do you have friends or family who will want to wake surf with ya'?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
EndoTiger
Commander
Commander

Post by EndoTiger »

Thanks for the encouragement! It's pretty obvious to me that there is no other bow rider or runabout that compares as far as overall quality or fit and finish. To answer your question AsLan7, yeah if I went with the Surf model I would imagine I wouldn't have too much trouble finding folks to join in the fun. I'm torn though because I also like boating just for boating (not always doing water sports), and I think the standard drive model might be a little better performer overall.
2016 R3 WSS
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I think the surf model does both things well. Are you in deep water all the time? That would be my draw back to the boat. Lakes here are to shallow and it would eat the drive up. Are you going to trailer the boat? It would be nice to hear how it all functions.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

In my unsolicited opinion, unless..unless.. you are a hard core surfer who is looking for a surf specific boat, I'd pass on the surf model and order a standard drive.
The reverse drive, and the different angle the propeller sits when trimming would make me very paranoid in shallow areas. Looking at the trim angles spells trouble for a rookie boater. IMO, Definitely not an everyday type of drive, and I wouldn't want one for my needs.
You are also giving up all of your storage for ballast tanks, not to mention the excessive cost of the surf option.

Take your time and study the different options. Don't let the dealer push a large purchase like this on you unless it is exactly what you want.
I ordered my boat, and was in no hurry. Trust me, the dealer wants to sell you a boat more than you want to buy one. Take your time..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

All good points Tuscany has made and it also seems to me that lift options might be limited with a forward drive as well. No big deal if you trailer every time, but resell might take a hit.

Welcome to the club endo, and rest assured nobody can spend your money as well as we can! And what about that handle? Are you prone to going over the bars sometimes?😊
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Ytmsn wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:45 am All good points Tuscany has made and it also seems to me that lift options might be limited with a forward drive as well. No big deal if you trailer every time, but resell might take a hit.

Welcome to the club endo, and rest assured nobody can spend your money as well as we can! And what about that handle? Are you prone to going over the bars sometimes?😊
Love the boat.
IMHO.... but that forward drive just says " please bring extra props for the week end"

We all understand the saftey involved to hide the prop forward like any ski boat. But really??
At least ski boats have down guards and skegs to deflect common debris.
And I'll agree turning forward of the transom is going to feel strange..ski boats have the rudder at the back..
There's a reason they want to deal.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON