Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Cobalt 25 SC

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:44 pm .
Or trips😁
Then why stop there Quads :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Reminds me of the Marker One the way the outboard sets so far back with the swim platform in the middle.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I just wanted to bring this thread back up so we don't hijack the new member thread of Adam from lake George . I know we normally get side tracked but we have this thread to vent or opinions about outboards or we can start a new thread in here.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

Hello to All, This is my first post on this site. Apprx. 2 months ago I purchased a new 2019 25SC Cobalt with the optional 300HP Mercury 8-cylinder white motor, I purchased from The Boat House in Cape Coral Florida. I used it for 6 weeks there, before towing it back to my lake home in NH.
My question is whether others may be experiencing the same issues I am having with this model. Upon looking at the boat prior to purchase there was a sticky sound when stepping around the cockpit deck. Apparently the material they use under the fiberglass floor, ( Nidacore) had delaminated and was making a "sticky" sound when stepped on. The dealer was able to fix this with a resin repair under the floor area. Next was standing moisture in the rear stereo control unit mounted near the walk thru area. This unit was replaced and no issues with that now. Our biggest problem is with the optional bow filler cushions. They cannot be mounted easily and frequently fall to the deck. ( Once when someone was sitting on it). The holes do not line up with the thrubolts latches they used. I said "How does a quality issue like this ever leave the factory without notice ?". The dealer had to have 1/4" thick plastic spacers made and added them to the 3/4" block the factory used. Now the dealer had to install about 6 small plastic blocks around the perimeter of the vertical walls under the bow cushion to support the seat. WHY? Again, this should have been engineered properly at the Cobalt plant.
We are also having a issue with the Sunbrella top. No matter how hard you have pulled on the flaps with Velcro to tighten the top, it still collects rain water and has stretched the large top. We have the $13,700 optional Sport Tower which in my opinion, was designed improperly. Since there is no pitch of the pipes the Sunbrella top sits flat and collects large volumes of water. This then bleeds thru and collects in the pull out sunshade that covers the passengers seated in the rear. This small top collects water in the center. There is no method of fastening this small top to the outer slide in poles, so it just sags. Looks pretty poor. Not the look I thought I'd have for a 25ft boat that list for over $145K!!!!. Cobalt is apparently NOT the same as they use to be. One very disappointed customer. Thanks for listening. Hopefully my comments will help others in making a decision to buy this overpriced boat. BTW, The Boat House in Cape Coral has been GREAT in dealing with these issues, and I would recommend them to others. Bill
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

billchips wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:59 am Hello to All, This is my first post on this site. Apprx. 2 months ago I purchased a new 2019 25SC Cobalt with the optional 300HP Mercury 8-cylinder white motor, I purchased from The Boat House in Cape Coral Florida. I used it for 6 weeks there, before towing it back to my lake home in NH.
My question is whether others may be experiencing the same issues I am having with this model. Upon looking at the boat prior to purchase there was a sticky sound when stepping around the cockpit deck. Apparently the material they use under the fiberglass floor, ( Nidacore) had delaminated and was making a "sticky" sound when stepped on. The dealer was able to fix this with a resin repair under the floor area. Next was standing moisture in the rear stereo control unit mounted near the walk thru area. This unit was replaced and no issues with that now. Our biggest problem is with the optional bow filler cushions. They cannot be mounted easily and frequently fall to the deck. ( Once when someone was sitting on it). The holes do not line up with the thrubolts latches they used. I said "How does a quality issue like this ever leave the factory without notice ?". The dealer had to have 1/4" thick plastic spacers made and added them to the 3/4" block the factory used. Now the dealer had to install about 6 small plastic blocks around the perimeter of the vertical walls under the bow cushion to support the seat. WHY? Again, this should have been engineered properly at the Cobalt plant.
We are also having a issue with the Sunbrella top. No matter how hard you have pulled on the flaps with Velcro to tighten the top, it still collects rain water and has stretched the large top. We have the $13,700 optional Sport Tower which in my opinion, was designed improperly. Since there is no pitch of the pipes the Sunbrella top sits flat and collects large volumes of water. This then bleeds thru and collects in the pull out sunshade that covers the passengers seated in the rear. This small top collects water in the center. There is no method of fastening this small top to the outer slide in poles, so it just sags. Looks pretty poor. Not the look I thought I'd have for a 25ft boat that list for over $145K!!!!. Cobalt is apparently NOT the same as they use to be. One very disappointed customer. Thanks for listening. Hopefully my comments will help others in making a decision to buy this overpriced boat. BTW, The Boat House in Cape Coral has been GREAT in dealing with these issues, and I would recommend them to others. Bill

Hey bill. Welcome to the Cobalt chat forum. So glad you found us!

Very sorry to hear about your experience with your new purchase. Apparently some others are having similar qc issues. Hopefully these are the exceptions rather than the rule...but still frustrating nonetheless. :| The good news is Cobalt is responding promptly.

Any pics? Feel free to start a new thread if you have time.

Again, welcome aboard mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Have you or the dealer reached out to Cobalt directly? While there have been some quality issues popping up on new builds, Cobalt has been going above and beyond to resolve the problems for customers. Sorry to hear you're having these problems, but I don't think you should feel like you're stuck with a lemon, I really believe Cobalt will take care of you if you get them up to speed on the issues.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Iriedon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Iriedon »

Bill, I am having the same issue with the bow filler cushion, did the repair work performed fix it. I agree my older cobalt had a lip to slide the filler cushion and a push lock.
Love the OB for saltwater so much better than an IO in regards to maintenance.
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

7 marine are awesome. Saw a ton of big center councils down in the Keys running them. Some with 4-5 of them hung on the back.

Wonder if Cobalt will come out with a center council? Seems to be the new fad.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

Iriedon wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:06 am Bill, I am having the same issue with the bow filler cushion, did the repair work performed fix it. I agree my older cobalt had a lip to slide the filler cushion and a push lock.
Hi, Just seeing your message today as I'm not on the site too often. Do you have the same new 25SC? Our bow cushion issue as well as the Sunbrella top on the sports tower both have to wait until we get back to Florida as the selling dealer, ( The Boat House of Cape Coral) said they notified Cobalt of the issues, but obviously need the boat there in order to address these issues. We are in Gilford NH on Lake Winnipesaukee for 5 months.
Unsure how they can fix the roof issue. To me, the Sports Tower needs to be redesign to create pitch for the water to run off. Now I just get my pants and shoes soaked when I have to use a broom to push the collected water up and out of the sagging roof areas. Boat that stickers for $145K should not have these issues. I hold Cobalt in high regards but not feeling the love for them at this time.
Bill
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Iriedon wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:06 am Bill, I am having the same issue with the bow filler cushion, did the repair work performed fix it. I agree my older cobalt had a lip to slide the filler cushion and a push lock.
Hey IrD. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. Glad you found us as well.

Any pics of your OB? We don’t have too many on the site. It would be cool to have a few more.

Even a cushion pic or general boat pic of yours would be awesome.

Again, welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

Hi, Here is a photo of my 2019 Cobalt SC 25. Heavily optioned boat. Love it except the issues we are having with the top, as well as the bow cushions falling to the deck as we drive.
Thanks, Bill
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's very sharp Bill. So why did you go with merc over Yamaha? Don't get me wrong I'm a Merc guy. How does it perform?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

We saw the boat as the dealer displayed it at the Bonita Springs Boat Show. The Merc 300Hp , Verado was on the boat. It was the new 8-cyl. model which suppose to get around 20% better Gallon Per Hr. usage. Also they told us it did not need service until 100 hours, where the 300 Yam. needed it's first service at 20 hours. Since it only has about 25 hours, I have not pushed it, but suppose to do around 50mph. We loved the look, and we were looking for a boat to trailer from Florida to the NH lake and then back again in the fall. We had a 2007 SeaRay 270 SLX I/O and wanted to go outboard as it seems to be on every boat in SW Florida.
I will say, Cobalt is not shy on their option prices. This one stickered for $145,5K.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Very cool. How everything gets worked out. It seems like you really enjoy it otherwise. How's it work out for the family. I don't think any manufacturer are light on their prices right now actually.
I guess even in 2003 my Bimini sits pretty level on the tower and it holds water. I guess unless you lean it towards the rear or the frt then the water would always drip on someone if you're caught in the rain. I remember getting under mine after a rain shower and pushing the water off of it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!