Anchor
Anchor
So where do you guys store your anchor?.
My dealer gave me a #13, and there is no way it fits in the locker up front. And after looking at the front locker, it certainly wasn't designed to hang/store an anchor.
I am thinking of cutting off the hanger mount on the anchor, and then it should fit under the very front bow seat.
Now this was how my Chaparral hung.
The Cobalt doesn't have this hanging set up...
My dealer gave me a #13, and there is no way it fits in the locker up front. And after looking at the front locker, it certainly wasn't designed to hang/store an anchor.
I am thinking of cutting off the hanger mount on the anchor, and then it should fit under the very front bow seat.
Now this was how my Chaparral hung.
The Cobalt doesn't have this hanging set up...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
Re: Anchor
I'm in a similar position to you Tuscany. I bought a 13# Mantus anchor prior to taking delivery of my 212. Only to find out that there is absolutely no way a 13# Mantus will fit in the anchor locker. I could store it in another location, but I'm not a fan of hauling a rough metal object around on my boat as the likelihood it dings the fiberglass or tears the vinyl is non-zero.
The under-sized anchor locker opening is a miss by Cobalt -- at least on my 2007 212. I may have to drop down to an 8#, which *may* have enough holding power, or try one of the folding grapnel hook style anchors that seem to be popular with CC members.
The under-sized anchor locker opening is a miss by Cobalt -- at least on my 2007 212. I may have to drop down to an 8#, which *may* have enough holding power, or try one of the folding grapnel hook style anchors that seem to be popular with CC members.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Re: Anchor
Well, if we cut off the hangers, we could make it work like I described in my post above. I'm not sure if cutting them off will harm the design to grip.
I thought I may be missing something obvious, but I guess not.
First, an absolutely stupid garbage can, now this...
Simple fixes I guess...
I thought I may be missing something obvious, but I guess not.
First, an absolutely stupid garbage can, now this...
Simple fixes I guess...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Anchor
My anchor is perhaps a bit undersized and fits just OK in my 210. I think being able to enclose it rather than winch it up and leave it hanging off the front is a luxury that's hard to integrate into a small boat.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
-
Skiingstrongman
- Captain

- Posts: 314
- Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:41 pm
- Contact:
Re: Anchor
I have a big beast that will barely fit as well. I'm thinking about going to a 12 pound digger. From what I understand they are easier to retrieve and hold pretty good
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Re: Anchor
That one looks pretty good YT. Better than what I have, but my dealer says a smaller one won't hold the boat in the Niagara river. .
I'm going to give this one a go.
Its definitely not worth the risk of smacking the inside of the locker with the blunt end of a heavy steel rod.. One shot, and the outside of the boat will have a big crack, and it could damage the light tubes for the docking lights.
Not happening.
It just barely fits under the front bow seat, so I'll set a car floor mat in there along with some towels to keep it from bouncing around.. should be fine, just a big fail from cobalt. It would probably be fine up there without the docking lights taking up all of the room. A hanger would have been great.
I'm going to give this one a go.
Its definitely not worth the risk of smacking the inside of the locker with the blunt end of a heavy steel rod.. One shot, and the outside of the boat will have a big crack, and it could damage the light tubes for the docking lights.
Not happening.
It just barely fits under the front bow seat, so I'll set a car floor mat in there along with some towels to keep it from bouncing around.. should be fine, just a big fail from cobalt. It would probably be fine up there without the docking lights taking up all of the room. A hanger would have been great.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
Re: Anchor
I use the large anchor similar to what YT has posted the 15# Digger for boats up to 40'. It fits in my anchor locker no problem with room to spare with 175' of 5/8' role and 6' 5/8" Chain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
"DIGGIN' IT"
Re: Anchor
The digger is easy to release. The cam is spring loaded. The problem here in Lake Austin is the bottom is basically lime stone. You usually drift a little until you snag a big rock or a big crack. Either way retrieving the anchor can be a problem. With this anchor you get above it and give it a hard pull. The attachment runs through the shaft. It pulls the bolt up and out of the slot and now you have a straight anchor with no angle at all. The flukes are hanging straight down in line with the shaft. Comes right back to the boat.
The only thing I have to watch is when I deploy the anchor. I get it on bottom and then feed out enough line that I have a good centenary to the anchor. Then the tension doesn't put it in release mode.
So far, so good. Most of my friends run this same anchor here in Austin.
The only thing I have to watch is when I deploy the anchor. I get it on bottom and then feed out enough line that I have a good centenary to the anchor. Then the tension doesn't put it in release mode.
So far, so good. Most of my friends run this same anchor here in Austin.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
"DIGGIN' IT"
Re: Anchor
Yup, run the same type of anchor. Holds in the mud and sand around here. Plus with the flukes hanging straight down mud and crud fall off before I get the anchor to the boat.
2018 r5
2003 220
2003 220
Re: Anchor
That is a sweet design. Hmmmm...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Anchor
I have the same digger anchor as well. It works very well.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: Anchor
I carry two anchors,
I put a small anchor in front storage, also keep docking lines there
My main anchor I keep under seat in bow of boat, storage area is carpeted, fits well there and easy to access
I put a small anchor in front storage, also keep docking lines there
My main anchor I keep under seat in bow of boat, storage area is carpeted, fits well there and easy to access
-
Alaskabound
- Captain

- Posts: 491
- Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am
- Location: KY
- Contact:
Re: Anchor
Tuscany, I had the same comment about my Chaparral anchor storage. That's one area it beats Cobalt. I have two "fortress" style anchors. One fits in front anchor storage & one under seat just in the front of engine. We don't use them very much. Our lake is so deep it's not easy to do. We're usually in 80-120' so we drift then move. If I was upstream from Niagra Falls I'd need a "Nimitz class" anchor. That's scary.
Dub
Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Re: Anchor
Haha, it's something that you get used too. In order to get into trouble there, you have to be seriously looking for it. It's perfectly safe..
My wife used to freak out when anywhere in sight of the falls. Now we have lunch in that spot.
The Niagara river around Grand Island is a somewhat shallow and fast moving run. It's amazing how large of a body of water it is, and how fast it moves.
IMO, It's the best boating in NY.
My wife used to freak out when anywhere in sight of the falls. Now we have lunch in that spot.
The Niagara river around Grand Island is a somewhat shallow and fast moving run. It's amazing how large of a body of water it is, and how fast it moves.
IMO, It's the best boating in NY.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 31 guests
