Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!

AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!

Post by AsLan7 »

vans wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:23 am IMG_3153.JPG
It's 47 degrees this morning in mid- Michigan
Sitting by campfire waiting for warmup, supposed to be 75 today🤞

Camping & Cobalts make a great combination!
Beautiful pic.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

Same as here:-) Are you camping on Higgins? Set up looks Sharp.

We are at our cabin in Newaygo Mi, boating Hardy pond which is a impoundment of the Muskegon River. I have very limited phone reception here, which is kind of nice.

Thanks for the compliments
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Headed to the lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Nice looking rig.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 am Headed to the lake.

Nice shot.

Hey,I thought you had a Cobalt license plate hangin' from the rear starboard side of that trailer, no?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 am

Nice shot.

Hey,I thought you had a Cobalt license plate hangin' from the rear starboard side of that trailer, no?

Thanks it's there. The drive is in the way. Started good then the flat tire.lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:42 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 am

Nice shot.

Thanks it's there. The drive is in the way. Started good then the flat tire.lol

Ahhh thx.
I liked yours so much, Big block, that I did the same with my trailer. Forgot to take the pic though...doh!

You know what they say...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :D 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I've been kicking around getting a new truck for a while. My little Lexus has 195K on it. Almost time. Already decided I'm getting a Suburban for the wife that'll be the main family truckster and Towing vehicle. Mine is different. I want something that can tow but doesn't have to fit all the kids. I've been kicking around a Range Rover sport (as I've always wanted one) and the Porsche Macan. So I just went over to the Range dealership as the have the F-Type trucks as well. Welp, you never know when you're going to fall in love. Holy sh@t is the new Velar a sexy little minx. All touch screen interior. tows 5000, which is more than I need.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

liquid wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:49 pm I've been kicking around getting a new truck for a while. My little Lexus has 195K on it. Almost time. Already decided I'm getting a Suburban for the wife that'll be the main family truckster and Towing vehicle. Mine is different. I want something that can tow but doesn't have to fit all the kids. I've been kicking around a Range Rover sport (as I've always wanted one) and the Porsche Macan. So I just went over to the Range dealership as the have the F-Type trucks as well. Welp, you never know when you're going to fall in love. Holy sh@t is the new Velar a sexy little minx. All touch screen interior. tows 5000, which is more than I need.
I can certainly see you in that liquid! Write the check. 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

I've been the owner a diesel Porsche Cayenne for a number of years. Love the vehicle. Gets 30 mpg at 80 mph. I drive a lot of miles, so it's nice to be able to drive 700 miles on a tank of gas.

Has a towing capacity of 7716 lbs. I'm sure that the engine and transmission will pull it the load. It is equipped with the towing package which includes the transmission cooler, wiring, and hitch. The turbo charge V6 generates about 405 ft lbs of torque.

What I am concerned about it being able to control the boat in the event of a blowout on the trailer or the need to perform a quick maneuver. Seems that towing a boat that weighs ~ 5000 lbs with a SUV that weights ~ 4700 lbs might not be a good idea.

I think with the right brakes on the trailer I would be able to stop it. Don't currently own a trailer, so I could get one equipped as needed.

I've been thinking about changing it out for a diesel truck, but due to Volkswagen's cheating on emissions they have extended my bumper-to-bumper warranty to 2021 with unlimited miles or 100,000 miles depending on how you read the paperwork. Either way it will be a while.

What are your thoughts?
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Driller wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 pm I've been the owner a diesel Porsche Cayenne for a number of years. Love the vehicle. Gets 30 mpg at 80 mph. I drive a lot of miles, so it's nice to be able to drive 700 miles on a tank of gas.

Has a towing capacity of 7716 lbs. I'm sure that the engine and transmission will pull it the load. It is equipped with the towing package which includes the transmission cooler, wiring, and hitch. The turbo charge V6 generates about 405 ft lbs of torque.

What I am concerned about it being able to control the boat in the event of a blowout on the trailer or the need to perform a quick maneuver. Seems that towing a boat that weighs ~ 5000 lbs with a SUV that weights ~ 4700 lbs might not be a good idea.

I think with the right brakes on the trailer I would be able to stop it. Don't currently own a trailer, so I could get one equipped as needed.

I've been thinking about changing it out for a diesel truck, but due to Volkswagen's cheating on emissions they have extended my bumper-to-bumper warranty to 2021 with unlimited miles or 100,000 miles depending on how you read the paperwork. Either way it will be a while.

What are your thoughts?
I think it's more than adequate to tow your boat... depending on how far & how often. Would definitely have brakes on trailer as well.

I love that truck. Let's see a pic!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

"I've been thinking about changing it out for a diesel truck, but due to Volkswagen's cheating on emissions they have extended my bumper-to-bumper warranty to 2021 with unlimited miles or 100,000 miles depending on how you read the paperwork. Either way it will be a while."

What are your thoughts?"

KEEP IT!

...of course I'm a porsche fan too :D ;)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

nice whip! More pics!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
SBA1988
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SBA1988 »

cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Driller wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 pm I've been the owner a diesel Porsche Cayenne for a number of years. Love the vehicle. Gets 30 mpg at 80 mph. I drive a lot of miles, so it's nice to be able to drive 700 miles on a tank of gas.

What are your thoughts?
All good points.. One thing to remember is that tow ratings are for flat land GVW capacity in towing. A simple 4% grade will double the weight and exceed that capacity quickly.
Ever tow uphill full throttle and only maintain 50mph?
If you do limited flat land driving your marginal but it would be fine. And since you don't tow every day of the week I'm with you on getting A nice ride that will still tow.
Plus it will be under warranty :lol:
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON