Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!

AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Let's see your Tow rigs with your boat!

Post by AsLan7 »

That’s very cool Matt. How do you “bleed” them off?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 am .
That’s very cool Matt. How do you “bleed” them off?

Old school valve stems ( a left and right at my fuel door..) plain old Tire gauge or the old school pen.. HAHA.. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

How long does that take?

I would think filling them happens fast but deflating?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

30 Seconds..

remember they are small bags tucked inside a coil spring with floppy plastic air lines routed the the fuel door..

Its like the good old Gabriel Hijacker days .. Quick bump from a air nozzle to a small 30 psi and your ready. I actually use my finger to let the air out until nothing.. It only raises the Truck an inch it makes it not collapse down..

Inexpensive and easy. My middle name!! hahah
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

👍🏻
Nice
👍🏻
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

We use those on the rams also.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

If I am seeing correctly those will only work with vehicle that have rear coil springs and not with the Ford's that have leaf springs?
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

You can run airbags /w rear leaf's, lots of Ford Guys do it. I am looking at this: http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/ which is just a modified larger bump stop that grabs some of the weight when you have a load in the bed or on the hitch. Pretty popular and fairly cheap so I figured why not.

Seems the 2015 - Current F150's used lighter rear leafs, presumbly to improve their ability to get groceries and run to the mall. Makes the ride sweet but they do sag a bit when you throw some weight back there.

Mr. Nauti here by the way, the wife just wants to make sure the boat gets to the water as quickly as possible :)
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Soonerfan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:05 pm If I am seeing correctly those will only work with vehicle that have rear coil springs and not with the Ford's that have leaf springs?
Correct!

But you would order a inboard frame to axel kit with the same result..

There common with your local hitch or truck accories outfitters.. a simple 2k kit is all you'll need for level stability..

And when your done towing.. let the air out😎
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

IMO.
Stay FAR away from Timbrens folks..
I ran those things in my 2012 1500 Chevy. I had to take them out.

Yeah, they’ll hold weight, but they do it by resting the weight onto a solid piece of rubber that solidly sits on the top of the axle. Bone jarring to say the least. You are basically coupling your axle directly to the frame, leaving the rubber to act as your suspension.
When unloaded, they clear about an inch of space, which makes travel on nice roads feel like stock. Add a few ripples in the pavement where the suspension flexes more than that inch clearance..bang, bang, bang.. Let’s just say you will need a mouth guard. Its a far better option to deal with the sag than to destroy your half ton truck’s plush ride.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

think I found my next tow rig.
https://youtu.be/yYRJcwZjicI

2018 r5
2003 220
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Bfun220 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:40 pm think I found my next tow rig.
https://youtu.be/yYRJcwZjicI
That would be fun as a tow vehicle...right up until my wife gets it stuck in the supermarket parking lot trying to do a three point turn while backing out of the parking space. :D

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:18 pm IMO.
Stay FAR away from Timbrens folks..
I ran those things in my 2012 1500 Chevy. I had to take them out.

Yeah, they’ll hold weight, but they do it by resting the weight onto a solid piece of rubber that solidly sits on the top of the axle. Bone jarring to say the least. You are basically coupling your axle directly to the frame, leaving the rubber to act as your suspension.
When unloaded, they clear about an inch of space, which makes travel on nice roads feel like stock. Add a few ripples in the pavement where the suspension flexes more than that inch clearance..bang, bang, bang.. Let’s just say you will need a mouth guard. Its a far better option to deal with the sag than to destroy your half ton truck’s plush ride.
Thanks for the feedback on the timbrens. I had heard that over larger bumps they could cause a problem, which is to be expected. I found a pretty good deal on a set, install looks simple, its easy to take them off if they suck, so figure it was worth a shot to see how they worked out.

I see you edited your post, but as far as the 250/150 argument, sure I would love to have an F250 to pull the boat, but 90/10 rule wins. Honeslty, a lot of people here are pulling boats that put their veichles over one of their tow limits, be it tounge weight, GCVW, GVWR, Payload...etc etc. If we were pulling the boat more than 5 miles to the ramp I would look into something in a 3/4 ton, but we use our truck for 90% daily driving 5% towing and 5% getting stuff like mulch at lowes. With that usage in mind I will prioritize the better ride quality, better interior featuers, and lower matienence costs of the 1/2 Ton.
Last edited by NautiGirl on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

That’s why I edited it out Katie.
I tend to get wordy, and this was about your truck, and not mine. I definitely agree with the 90-10 rule. Apply that to the Timbrens because you’ll be riding with them 100% of the time,

I bought a half ton Chevy back in 2012 for the store. Plowing, towing our trailers, and as a winter truck as I always put my Super Duty up for the winter. I installed a set of Timbrens in the rear for the same reasons that you are experiencing. Any load would make it ridiculously sag. When you load them and ride on the Timbrens, you might as well have no rear suspension at all. You couldn’t carry on a conversation without your voice bumping with the truck..
JMHO.

Interior quality? I have to beg to differ.
Check out a 2018 Super Duty Lariat Limited

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mP9SVf2qM

2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:54 pm That’s why I edited it out Katie.
I tend to get wordy, and this was about your truck, and not mine. I definitely agree with the 90-10 rule. Apply that to the Timbrens because you’ll be riding with them 100% of the time,

I bought a half ton Chevy back in 2012 for the store. Plowing, towing our trailers, and as a winter truck as I always put my Super Duty up for the winter. I installed a set of Timbrens in the rear for the same reasons that you are experiencing. Any load would make it ridiculously sag. When you load them and ride on the Timbrens, you might as well have no rear suspension at all. You couldn’t carry on a conversation without your voice bumping with the truck..
JMHO.

Interior quality? I have to beg to differ.
Check out a 2018 Super Duty Lariat Limited

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mP9SVf2qM
All good points. We will see how they do. Honestly we are not that far over rated tounge and its not sagging that bad, the F150 just comes raked /w the rear sitting up so it looks weird when it sits level imho. If the Timbrens suck stock bump stocks go back on and we deal /w the sag or hell look into airbags.

F250 Also wouldnt fit in the garage and I am not parking a 60k+ truck outside, that would make me cry.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY