Makassar wood dash on 17'

Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Makassar wood dash on 17'

Post by Tuscany »

So looking at the changes on the 17' R5 that I'm ready to order, it seems the analog gauges are now replaced by a set of Garmin screens and a black glass back panel.
Which begs the question, since the wood dash backer is no longer there, and the side wood doesn't extend past the dash anymore, how is the lower panel and a small door panel next to the head worth $1,200?
Am I missing something?
Thanks.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Makassar wood dash on 17'

Post by Tuscany »

Well, I got my answer to the question above, so now my question is this..
For 17', cobalt is using wood on the lower dash and glove door, along with all of the cup holder coves, and the long cove along the left side of the passenger area. A weird area to upgrade with wood at a major cost increase, but I am a sucker for the look on the dash.

Since it is wood, and I am a compulsively clean, I like to wash everything down with soap and water throughout the summer. So, how well does the wood hold up to moisture?
I'd hate to spend the money only to have water sit on the flat wood area in the cove areas causing a crack.
Has the wood areas on your cobalt held up over time?
Opinions and experiences?
Thanks.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I think the wood will hold up very well. I keep mine waxed up. My wood is 13 years old and looks new. The sun is the killer in my opinion. It's the boats that don't get covered that they don't last very long. Also some people's acid in there skin oils that eats away at the finish. You take care of it, it will take care of you. I just wish they would make the opening larger by the cup holders. I can't get a tall glass in there. It's a pain.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

My wood has held up to moisture fine so far, but it's only a couple years old. It's typically not a big chunk of wood anymore, but a thin layer of wood (like a thick veneer) on a stable backing, which makes cracking and other problems less likely.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)