So where would you go boating on vacation if you get the chance. Fresh water :-)

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

So where would you go boating on vacation if you get the chance. Fresh water :-)

Post by Big Block Power »

1 Table Rock Lake
2 Lake Powell
3 Higgins Lake Mi
4 Lake Cumberland
5 Lake Lanier
6 Lake Norris
7 Lake Michigan/Green Bay
8 Torch Lake Mi.

I have no idea where to go this coming year that with in 10 hours of me. I have to have a dock or slip at the cottage I rent.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Re: So where would you go boating on vacation if you get the chance. Fresh water :-)

Post by Skiingstrongman »

We used to go to winnepesaukee in NH. It was a hell of a lot of fun. The hotel had docks there, they had cabins as an option as well as efficiencies and hotel rooms. They had a nice beach bar with a beach. Tons of activities for the kids too.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: So where would you go boating on vacation if you get the chance. Fresh water :-)

Post by jhnmdahl »

Winnipesaukee does look like fun, but a long drive from Minnesota. The closest we have is the Gull Lake area, but I've become partial to the smaller norther MN and WI lakes most of the time.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

If you like Winni, why not consider the Muskoka Lakes in Ontario, Canada? Take advantage of the exchange rate! From a boating standpoint, you have three very large connected lakes (with one set of locks):

- Lake Muskoka
- Lake Rosseau
- Lake Joseph

Lots of nice towns to boat into with gorgeous scenery and a variety of activities for families. You'll also see a ton of Cobalts -- on the water, pulled up at town docks, or moored in multi-million $$$ boat houses.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

What's the deal towing a boat across the line? Any special procedure to prevent issues with that? We have a Canada office I can get work to foot the travel bill :D
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

No special procedures for crossing the border, though you will want to have proof of ownership / registration and insurance.

Once you're on the water, you will need to comply with Canadian standards for marine safety (i.e. # of life jackets, anchor, etc.). Will post the link to what's required.

There's also the Trent-Severn canal and lake system, as well as the Rideau canal and lake system to look into if boating in Ontario has caught your eye. Amazing boating!
Toronto, Canada
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I will always suggest Buffalo NY.
Boating eastern Lake Erie, with its Canadian ports like Crystal Beach is a great spot.
Downtown Buffalo at Canal Side is very boat friendly, a quick tour up the winding Buffalo river is also very interesting trip back in time, given the old grain silos that are still there.

Re-enter the Niagara river and encounter very CLEAN and clear water which surrounds Grand Island. Pick a side, both are great and meet at the top in Niagara Falls.
There is the old Erie Canal in North Tonawanda has several boat friendly restaurants to choose from. Go back to the Niagara river and head up to Niagara Falls, which you can get within a half mile.
Clean water, some fast currents in areas and a lot of open boating space.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Any pictures guys? Sounds like great boating and sites.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

OK, here is some eye candy from the Muskoka Lakes....
Map of Muskoka Lakes.PNG
Lake Joe.jpg
Lake Rosseau.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toronto, Canada
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

And some more...
Port Sandfield Boathouse.jpg
Boathouse.jpg
Steamship through lock at Port Carling.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toronto, Canada
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Two more photos from the dock on East Bay, Lake Muskoka:
East Bay on Lake Muskoka.jpg
Bouvier on the dock.jpg
Toronto, Canada
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's alot of water to explore.Looks awesome.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Tuscany wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:43 pm I will always suggest Buffalo NY.
Boating eastern Lake Erie, with its Canadian ports like Crystal Beach is a great spot.
Downtown Buffalo at Canal Side is very boat friendly, a quick tour up the winding Buffalo river is also very interesting trip back in time, given the old grain silos that are still there.

Re-enter the Niagara river and encounter very CLEAN and clear water which surrounds Grand Island. Pick a side, both are great and meet at the top in Niagara Falls.
There is the old Erie Canal in North Tonawanda has several boat friendly restaurants to choose from. Go back to the Niagara river and head up to Niagara Falls, which you can get within a half mile.
Clean water, some fast currents in areas and a lot of open boating space.
Might need to check with you before I head up that way for route guidance...

Likewise I will always reccomend Western NY, specifically the Finger lakes. There's 5 really quality lakes here depending on what you want to do. I personally like Canandaigua & Keuka.

I've had my eye on Flathead lake in Montana - I'll never get my boat out that far but I'd love to check it out.

Here's a pic of the water clarity:
flathead.jpg
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Holy crap. At first I thought that was a aerial picture.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Wow. That is amazing.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!