Trailer

Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Trailer

Post by Tuscany »

Ok, I know this is a boring question, but it's a boring winter..

I'm placing an order for a new custom C channel steel trailer from Loadmaster Trailers of Ohio.
My boat will be a solid navy blue hull with a white boot stripe, so I'm looking to order a nice matching trailer with a boarding ladder welded on for easy bow entry, extra LED grommet lights, electric over hydraulic discs, and custom wheels.
Since it will be fresh water only usage, should I order it to be sharp, or should I kiss good bye to the custom look, and opt for life long preserving galvanized?
Price difference is $400.00

The other question is suspension. Springs or torsion. All of my current trailers are torsion, and although torsion does ride better, my 26' trailer wears out tires at a fast rate due to a lack of equalization and alignment problems with torsion.
My former boat trailer was spring, and although it squeaked like hell, I never had a single tire issue in 14 years.
Thanks.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Trailer

Post by jhnmdahl »

I like springs because they are a little simpler mechanically, but even my old Acura Integra had a torsion bar suspension that worked just fine. As for galvanized, I think one of the tiebreakers for me would be whether I left it outside exposed to the elements, or whether it was an inside boat/trailer.

My EZ Loader is powder coated, but I don't think it's galvanized - that appears to only be an option on unpainted trailers from them at least.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, I store the boat and trailer inside over the winter. The boat stays on the trailer at my house during the summer outside, under a large tarp that covers everything.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Myself I love painted trailers.United I was in salt water then I would go galvanized. I'm a torsion bar fan they tow better to me. Most people don't rotate there trailer tires. I did and it extra the life allot. The rear tires always chopped and more wear on the front tires on my trailers.I hate a squeaky trailer. Drives me nuts. We trailer all the time.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Tough call on suspension. I'm still not sure.
I hate the squeaks as much as anyone, but my 26' enclosed with rubber ride eats left rear tires. No way to fix it except toss the axle and weld on a new one. I bought the trailer new with 5200lb Dexters. Probably just a bad axle when it was new.
Running perfectly level is also a must with torsion since there is no equalization.
My old shorelandr ran on springs, squeaked constantly, drove me crazy, but never had a tire issue in 16 years.

I do think I'm going to opt for matching paint. The garbage can look just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather re-paint in a few years if necessary.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

As the saying goes go with your gut then.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Haha, all that said, I'll probably go with torsion.
I'll let Loadmaster surprise me.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Lmao. I have had pretty much every brand of trailer. Right now under my yellow boat is a Eagle. It by far pulls the best I've ever pulled with. Not sure if it's the trailer or the speed I pulled it At but I got 3-4mpg better. Also it is built way better than any trailer I've had. I just wish it wasn't yellow or I would put my black boat on it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Every time I towed with my shorelandr, one eye was always in the mirror waiting for the trailer to split in two.
It came with the boat, and wasn't meant for a boat as heavy as it carried. Somehow, it held up.

Eagle builds a solid trailer. I looked into that company also. Top notch merch.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yea the frame is heavier built, they use more supports. Just more solid. Well worth the money.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Big block, have you ever tried EZ Loader? It's what my local Cobalt dealer orders, and it reminds me of Eagle in many ways.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes I had them on my celebrity and my stingray boat. Easy loader reminds me of the old roller trailer. Every manufacture used them. I kind of put them with Shorelander. Not a huge fan of them. I would go to Prestige or Heritage after a Eagle in the used world. But I'm not a fan of my 6 bunk Prestige yet.I have not been able to get my boat loaded on it straight very easy. I'm hoping that was because the water level was low. I can't think what I had under my Donzi that trailer was very good. I couldn't load crooked no matter what I did. It was a Heritage trailer. I knew it was built in Illinois. Also had the same trailer on the last 220 I had. My 200 had a Dorsey trailer and that was equal to the Heritage.
Honestly if I was buying a new Cobalt I would spend the extra money and put a Eagle under it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Heritage and Eagle were the two others I looked at, but I didn't have a good reason not to go with my dealer at the time. If I were buying a boat that was much bigger than 21', I probably would have done some additional research...
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

My dealer sells Venture and Eagle.
Obviously I'm not going to buy a Venture, and my dealer never got back to me on an Eagle.
I found Loadmaster trailer co. http://www.loadmasterboattrailer.com/?P ... 20Trailers which came with great reviews. They're a small, single location custom trailer builder, and their plant is in Port Clinton, OH. A four hour drive. A few dollars more, especially when you start adding the must have options, but their design looks like it can haul a tank across the country
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes my buddy that owns a dealership here uses load master. They have good customer service. I've talked to them a few times. If your dealer uses Eagle to me is a no brainer.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!