Trailer

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Trailer

Post by jhnmdahl »

Found a local one for you, Bigblock:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/b ... 18076.html

They say it was last set up to haul a Cobalt boat.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Thanks and see that Eagle Trailer is about 20 years old and still looks brand new and a bargain at that price. Thanks for looking out for me John.lmao
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Finally placed my order with Loadmaster in Ohio.
I did get a little carried away with options. I'll have it for a long time, and the trailer is my slip.
30' length 6" C channel painted navy blue with white pin stripes.
235 X 80 X 16" E rated tires, aluminum wheels on spring equalizing suspension.
6 bunks.
Electric over hydraulic disc brakes.
5' load guides with V bow stop.
All grommet recessed lighting, with 7 lights per side.
Bow ladder on winch post with walk over plate on trailer deck to hook up to the bow ring.

It should be here at the end of the month, and the boat a couple weeks later.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I wish I had bought load guides with our trailer. Loaded during a storm once a couple years ago, and realized why people get them for bigger boats. I don't think you'll ever regret buying a better trailer than what is absolutely necessary.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

My '13 232 came with a matching Heritage trailer. As the boat was delivered in KY, having a painted steel trailer is no issue. However, in VA we use our boats in the salt, and that's why aluminum and galvanized steel are so popular. While my Heritage matches the boat, has alloy wheels, hydraulic disk brakes and tows exceptionally well, if I were to order a new Cobalt, I would order a Myco trailer. They are truly custom made and top of the line. My brother ordered one for his Pursuit as he uses his boat in both fresh and salt.
To preserve the trailer and the engine risers, I've decided to just use my boat in fresh water. My parents have two boats on the Bay, so it's no major sacrifice.
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Myco is a super nice, premium trailer, but they are located in Florida. Perfect choice if you live in that area of the country and are boating in the salt.
Loadmaster in Ohio is the same one off, totally hand built and finished custom built trailer that is only available per order and set up model specific trailer for those of us who live in the north east.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/LoadmasterT ... e_internal

They are steel C channel only, and are the custom trailer of choice in the fresh water north east, but they do offer hot dip galvanizing, and salt options for those who live by the ocean.
I was tossing around the idea of dipping the trailer, but honestly, I don't ever see us towing to the salt. In the end, I'd rather not look at an ugly tin finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:04 pm I wish I had bought load guides with our trailer. Loaded during a storm once a couple years ago, and realized why people get them for bigger boats. I don't think you'll ever regret buying a better trailer than what is absolutely necessary.
I've never had them, and I've never really had a decent trailer.
If there was any wind, it would blow my boat crooked when loading on my old shorlandr trailer. A real pita..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I have a 6 bunk trailer now. Yes it's great for support but I rather have the 4 bunk for loading and unloading every weekend.This 6 is a pain. If your not dead on your loading crooked. My 4 bunk never loaded crooked. For cheater tubes. Nice in the river or windy times.I would like them every now and then but don't know if I would have have them.
Congrats on the trailer though. I bet it will look nice.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, I never knew how poor my old set up was. It was my first boat and trailer, and I bought them used and together. .
My shorlandr was a two bunk set up, that was grossly overloaded. 4600 lb boat sold to me on a 4600 gross weight trailer on 13" rubber.
It just plain sucked to load unless the trailer was at the perfect depth, and god forbid there was a breeze.
But it did the job and somehow never had a tire problem.

Well, I figured the cheaters can't hurt. I think they were a $265.00 option. 5' tall Solid tubes I believe. Hopefully loading shouldn't be a problem with this trailer I have coming. The center target bunk runs long, and should set the boat up perfectly.
I guess we'll see.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I've been boating my entire life. Been driving trailers with boats on them since I got my license (20+ years). Been launching/landing boats well before then. Launched and landed solo (think about it) more times than I care to admit.

Why I can launch a 30-footer through a keyhole in a Noreaster!

Why am I telling you this? My trailer came with cheater tubes - They are just delightful. Never had them before, don't need them at all but they make something that is difficult a little bit easier. I was going to take them off and having used them for a few seasons I never will.

My name is Liquid and my trailer has cheater tubes... feels good to get that off my chest.

With pics!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

That's pretty funny.
Call them what you want, but if they they help me load after a long day on the water, then I'm in!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

No judgement here, cheat away!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I've addedd a LOT of cheat stuff in my trailer.
Loadmaster is great at making my ideas happen.
They're fabbing a bow V stop with a winch mast tilted toward the bow, with a ladder fabbed on the left side of the mast reaching from the bow to the ground. They're also mounting a walk plate to the right so I dont have to straddle anything while hooking the boat. My truck tires shouldn't touch water, and neither will my feet. I should be able to load this thing by myself with ease.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Here's a couple shots of my trailer being built.
It's raw steel coming out of the weld shop. It's tough to see, but note the notched end that Loadmaster uses for the extended hull of a Cobalt to support the entire end of the boat. Now it heads to paint. It should be painted, wired, and have the electric over hydraulic discs installed.
It will be riding on 16" E rated tires with a GVWR of over 12k.

Hopefully, I have completed pictures and pick it up by the weekend.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's cool seeing raw :-) I like your rim choice. I'm looking at upgrading mine someday. Also Goodyear came out with a new trailer tire. So those will go on as well.

So how's does the trailer get under the boat?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!