Cobalt 302 Swim Platform Retrofit

Roaster Boy
Ensign
Ensign

Cobalt 302 Swim Platform Retrofit

Post by Roaster Boy »

Hi! This is my first post, so please go easy on me. I am thinking about purchasing a 2008 Cobalt 302 with twin 496 engines. I like the swim platform on the boat, but it does not have the newer "flip up step" feature on it. It did not come available until 2012. Does anyone on here know if I purchased a swim platform with the "flip up step" for a 2012 boat, will it use the same mounting bolts as the 2008. The local dealer says Cobalt won't guarantee anything. The swim platform looks extremely similar, but I cannot be sure. If anyone out there knows, I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Cobalt 302 Swim Platform Retrofit

Post by Big Block Power »

I plead the 5th. Good luck. Depends on your relationship with your dealer. Swimplatform.com might be your best bet but no swim step. Also we like pictures! :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Cobalt has a patent covering their particular swim step (they are suing Sea Ray over copying it), so I don't think you'll find the flip-down step from an OEM at this point. Some places like Garelick make a bunch of ladder options, or you could try to find someone willing to give up their step. Cobalt is unfortunately not eager to sell you upgrade parts for a boat that is already purchased, and particularly not for boats more than seven years old.

If it's important enough to order the new platform with the swim step from a 2012, it might be worth hunting down a newer 302 and taking some photos/measurement before buying to make sure it will work. I can't imagine the part is going to be cheap...
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Roaster Boy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Roaster Boy »

Thanks guys, your responses are much appreciated! I am a little miffed about the Cobalt 7 year rule!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Don't let it scare you off. It's because all of their boats are custom and specs change year to year so they try to reserve the custom parts for those who have bought it most recently. Their customer service will help as much as they possibly can to help you get the part whether that be tell you the manufacturer or reasonable replacement for it they just won't sell you the part.
I bought a 2010 and the 2012 model of my boat has it. I'll tell you what I never even notice it. My swim platform sits on the water and I can climb on and off easily without the ladder. The garelick ladder is a nice upgrade from the old 200ish ladder they used to use. It's nice to have on the newer boats but definitely not a must have. The 302 is a great boat. Good luck!
FYI there's a BRAND New 302 at my marina with every single option on it depending on your price range. http://www.candlewoodeast.com/m/showcas ... 2&status=2
Has the swim platform. Guy moved and has it on consignment. They'll ship for free. The boat is prestige I have seen it. Marina is top notch to deal with. It's been there since May so I wouldn't be surprised if they took a good amount less just to get rid of it. Especially being winter right. Now.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I don't have the fold down either. Yes mine sits just about at water level. I very seldom use a ladder.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!