New in LA (lower AL). R5 newbie

AL Boater
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: New in LA (lower AL). R5 newbie

Post by AL Boater »

Did not get trim tabs. Learned after the fact the auto trim assist works well.
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Ok thanks. Me either. Knew I could add if needed.
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AL Boater wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 11:10 am Hello fellow AL boat owner. Interestingly, I took delivery of the same boat about 3 weeks ago. R5 with the 300. We've had it out three times, latest with 8 adults/kids on board. I thought the VP engine torque/hp curves were telling, and helped me better understand the trades between hp/torque/top speed/price/fuel economy. I have no regrets with the 300 for my purposes. It runs 46-48 with 4-8 people aboard. Pulls 3 tubers and is very responsive accelerating through a tight turn. Gets on plane quickly.
That's all good to hear. Prices on fuel I can't complain gas is pretty cheap up here. Should be able to get ethanol free gas for around $2.50 /gal. I really think my bb is very efficient. I think it's as good as my 350 engines. It gets on plane quicker and just cruises At a lower rpm. As long as I don't hold her wot it's all good. These new DI engines are going to be even more efficient and more powerful. It's a good thing for this industry. Again the way we all boat is different and what we all think is good is all different. I wasn't overly happy with the 8.1 375hp the 420 hp is totally different. It's amazing what gear ratio, propping and only 45more hp can make.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I owned a 233 Chaparral deck boat for years with a 5.0L 240 hp Alpha. In all truthfulness, I never had a complaint, eventhough is was a small engine. We had a ton of fun with that boat, and towed my kids for hundreds of miles with no problem.
That was my first boat. My opinion may change the day I crack the throttle on our new boat...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Maybe you can update more in here Southern :-) how is the 380? How is the boat. likes dislikes.
Congrats on her :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Well with a few hours on the water now and not much to compare to I can say I am very pleased with the vp380. About 35 gal used ($3.65/gal for mid-grade non ethanol gas at my marina) for 10 hours on the meter. Mix of cruising at mostly around 3000rpm/20 knots, 1.5 hours of stop and go tubing, no wake zone putting around and very little wot at 50-52.5 mph trimmed out (not best weather weekend with 20 knot winds and chop this weekend). I do appreciate the extra hp but I'm interested in riding in the R5 with the 300hp to do an actual comparison since I had originally purchased a 2017 with this before this nice option came up at the very last minute from the dealer. It is a 2014 but sold in late 2015 and had 38 hours on it and 1.5 years on the Volvo warranty plus I'll extend it. So not experienced enough to help much yet but I'll try if asked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volvo Penta 380hp
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Very interesting. I missed that it was a used low hour boat. Heck I thought it was brand new. Man it looked new. I take it that it had all the options you wanted anyways. Yea it will be interesting to here the diff if you get a chance to drive the 300. I'm sure your going to be glad you have the 380.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Didn't have a scratch on it and hopefully I won't put one. Yes made the change as it had a lot more options on it than I could go with the 2017 and likenew so...was a no brainer for me anyway.
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, I'm happy that you got the extra power.
Ofcourse, no one likes spending this amount of money on a toy, but being regretful would suck.
More is always better.
She's a beauty, that's for sure!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Thanks T! I'm sure I would have been happy with the 300...but I'm probably happier with the 380 with what we plan to do with it. Still having one at home with her friends coming along tubing and our friends drinking etc. And yes it is always good to have a little more and really pleased with performance. I expect the 300 would be almost same perf with lower top end by 5-6 kts with very good economy. Anyway we are super happy as the thing is still like new and the other options put it over the top. Can't wait to see yours!!!
Volvo Penta 380hp
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What options did it come with that you would not have ordered?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Well I would have ordered them all, right after cashing in that winning lotto ticket I didn't have. But for instance, Even though I would like to have the 380hp, may have stayed with 300 if the diff was the sticker price of $11K. Sink and counter in head, mooring cover (since stored inside prob would have gotten lower cost cover for dust mainly), wasn't going with docking lights even though very nice look they're expensive but first time use at night in port recommend them (and there's the look). Other had a porta potty but was adding head with holding tank for big added cost but this one already had, so saved again there. Main ones and there are a couple more like epremium sound that I was adding but this already had so again, saved some there from a new add cost to already have cost. Overall about $17-20k in list price adds. You just have to come down and see for yourself to get the full picture!
Volvo Penta 380hp
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I love your invitations. Hopefully soon and in the winter time.lol
Plus the used price over a new price is a good savings. Although some may disagree.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Southernboatman wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:44 pm Well I would have ordered them all, right after cashing in that winning lotto ticket I didn't have. But for instance, Even though I would like to have the 380hp, may have stayed with 300 if the diff was the sticker price of $11K. Sink and counter in head, mooring cover (since stored inside prob would have gotten lower cost cover for dust mainly), wasn't going with docking lights even though very nice look they're expensive but first time use at night in port recommend them (and there's the look). Other had a porta potty but was adding head with holding tank for big added cost but this one already had, so saved again there. Main ones and there are a couple more like epremium sound that I was adding but this already had so again, saved some there from a new add cost to already have cost. Overall about $17-20k in list price adds. You just have to come down and see for yourself to get the full picture!
The electric toilet/holding tank is a hefty expense, but now you can feel comfortable if someone has to relieve themselves, especially knowing how many days in the lifetime of your boat that you will spend on the water. Our last boat had one of those useless portipotty thingies that we never used.
You know how drinks tends to go in one end, and out another, so we had to dock from time to time.
That was number one on my list of must have options. That, and a wash sink.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's what the bucket is for...
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL