Cobalt Wakesurf Boats

Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Cobalt Wakesurf Boats

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Cobalt is now offering the CS3 with the wakesurfing package. This is a $35K discount off the R3 with the same package. If you haven't been it's a blast. I have been going on Sundays with the marina surf club on their R5 WSS Surf and it's a lot of fun. Surprisingly a lot of older folks going that can't really ski or wakeboard anymore due to the impact. Surfing is really low impact, falling is really nothing more than a jump in a pool.

It has definitely changed my mind on my next boat. I will definitely be going with a surf compatible boat.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Cobalt Wakesurf Boats

Post by Big Block Power »

Very cool.pics or it didn't happen :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Only very cool pics please, no just cool or interesting pics. :D
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

" I will definitely be going with a surf compatible boat."

Funny you mention that. We almost purchased a Chaparral 2430 Vortex last year so we could add wake surfing to our repertoire. We did not like it though after the test drive. Feels like we were driving a loud lawnmower with that rotax engine and wet ride. After playing on a Cobalt for 7 years, the dealer knew he had a hard sell.

Settled instead for the Cobalt 263 that has the swim platform and then another "EXTENDED" swim platform on top of that to bury the outdrive deep inside the extended running surface of the boat --well clear of any hazard. Our 262 would put out a nice wake for surfing but I was not comfortable with the outdrive hazard. The 263 should do the trick. Not quite a MasterCraft but should work fine. Will eventually report our findings here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

I wouldn't surf with an aft facing prop. Having done it now it's very easy to accelerate into the back of the boat by mistake. Especially when you're new and trying to figure it out. I have changed course pretty rapidly to the point where I could have walked on to the boat. There's a learning curve to it for sure.

Full disclosure I love the new GS24 from air nautique but the maneuverability and ride of a stern drive over the inboard seals it for me. Even the pro wakeboard guys that work at the marina were impressed.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

You can't get half pregnant.
Trying to make a surf boat out of a R series doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Personally, I wouldn't want to give up 90% of my storage, which includes ski locker and motorbox compartment for ballast tanks.
JMO, I think there are a lot better wake boat options for surfing other than Cobalt.
Our sister company Malibu for instance..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Every boat is a compromise it just depends what you're doing with it which compromises you're willing to accept.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Please don't surf behind the 263. That's got bad written all over it.
Our water on the lake we visit the most is not even close enough to boat it with a forward drive. It would eat them up for lunch.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Thanks BB.

The pic makes it look deceiving but with the outdrive down, we have measured a good 5 feet from the back of the 2nd extended platform to the drive. Honestly, I don't think you could hit it if you tried. It's just buried deep.

With that being said, we will see how she looks in the water and if we don't like ANY aspect under ALL scenarios, we will not even attempt it.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Skiingstrongman wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:25 pm Every boat is a compromise it just depends what you're doing with it which compromises you're willing to accept.
(Devils advocate here)
Let's spice it up with a little friendly debate.

True, but IMO, boat hulls are designed for a certain task. Meraphoically, I wouldn't plow a field with a Cadillac, and I wouldn't take a John Deere on a road trip.
Cobalt is simply trying to capitalize on the latest fad by compromising everything , coming from a company that uses the slogan "compromise nothing".
In defense of Cobalt, they are not alone here.

Please tell me if I am wrong.
Instead of not compromising and doing this right by designing a new layout on an actual surf designed hull, Cobalt compromised by using a designed intended for something totally different, and loaded all of their storage areas with tanks, rendering the original purpose compromised beyond belief on a hull designed for what we all buy Cobalt's for.. IMHO, a huge part of what makes our boats the Cadillac of bowriders is gone. No more ample storage, ski locker gone, no more huge motorbox storage, that's gone.. Everything, and I mean everything must be stored under the seats, and if you have an R3/R5, that ain't much to begin with. Want to tie up? Where do you store the oversized fenders?
There are simply much better hulls to choose from for making a surf boat. A Cobalt surf boat no longer offers the usual Cobalt amenities, and doesn't compare to what makes an actual surf boat a great surf boat.

So, if I were to look into my crystal ball, I see a totally new, Malibu designed Cobalt WSS in the near future that in a surf boat buyers eyes, will compromise nothing.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 pm Please don't surf behind the 263. That's got bad written all over it.
Our water on the lake we visit the most is not even close enough to boat it with a forward drive. It would eat them up for lunch.
Have to agree. If you like your children's feet where they are don't surf behind that boat.

There's any easy option for those who do want to surf... TWO BOATS!

I have clients in their early 60's and they just boaught an Air Nautique. They Surf incessantly. into November last year in wet suits. Low impact, lots of fun. I'm dying to try it as I know I just can't ski anymore with my back/ or tube... But I've long said once the boys get a little bigger I'm getting a BU. I'll keep my 190 for me. Just can't ever see myself selling her.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

First post here and been lurking for a while but thought I would register and chime in here. I am one that the surf model appealed to. My wife and I are middle age (approaching 50) and our kids will be out of the house in 4-5 years. We are all active and I still wakeboard occasionally. I have been looking researching and scouring the internet for the perfect boat for our family for the next 4-5 years. After all considerations we pulled the trigger on a 2018 R7 Surf. It seemed the best overall compromise for everyone. The kids wanted a true wakeboard boat, I wanted large bowrider, and the wife wanted a tri toon so you can see we all had different ideas and I think this was the best compromise.

Yes, we know we lose storage space but we don't ski so we have the head and up front storage for what we need to store on the boat. We also have a lift/dock where we have storage right next to the slip that we can store stuff in so hopefully storage won't be a big issue for us. We ordered 2 weeks ago and were told that we should have our baby by the end of September. Probably will only be able to get out once or twice if we are lucky before the season ends.

It was truly a very difficult decision for us and I looked at all the manufactuers, rode in several boats, and feel we made the right decision for us at this time in our life. So for each it is a personal preference and I got lucky this time as I feel certain if it weren't for the Surf feature and my kids being on my side I would have ended up with a tri toon to please my wife! :D
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

On the forward prop.
Safety wise..That could almost be standard issue, but I wonder how susceptible it is to damage. With its angle, it doesn't look like trimming it full up offers any more clearance when dropped down.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Soonerfan wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 am First post here and been lurking for a while but thought I would register and chime in here. I am one that the surf model appealed to. My wife and I are middle age (approaching 50) and our kids will be out of the house in 4-5 years. We are all active and I still wakeboard occasionally. I have been looking researching and scouring the internet for the perfect boat for our family for the next 4-5 years. After all considerations we pulled the trigger on a 2018 R7 Surf. It seemed the best overall compromise for everyone. The kids wanted a true wakeboard boat, I wanted large bowrider, and the wife wanted a tri toon so you can see we all had different ideas and I think this was the best compromise.

Yes, we know we lose storage space but we don't ski so we have the head and up front storage for what we need to store on the boat. We also have a lift/dock where we have storage right next to the slip that we can store stuff in so hopefully storage won't be a big issue for us. We ordered 2 weeks ago and were told that we should have our baby by the end of September. Probably will only be able to get out once or twice if we are lucky before the season ends.

It was truly a very difficult decision for us and I looked at all the manufactuers, rode in several boats, and feel we made the right decision for us at this time in our life. So for each it is a personal preference and I got lucky this time as I feel certain if it weren't for the Surf feature and my kids being on my side I would have ended up with a tri toon to please my wife! :D
Well, I guess I'm looking at by being too seperatist. Your needs do make sense, thus there is a market place for some compromise.
Dear God, not a tri-toon.. :D
Welcome aboard!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine