Crappy ending to a great day on the water.

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm Good to hear BBP. Hopefully your deductible was not too high.
Nope $250
Working with some Wisconsin companies to get it fixed.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm Good to hear BBP. Hopefully your deductible was not too high.
Nope $250
Great to hear my friend. :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:43 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 pm
Nope $250
Great to hear my friend. :D
Yes I'll get it fixed during the off season. It's off the boat already.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

You work fast, BBp! Great to hear the Cobalt will be out of surgery soon... :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Instead of a crappy end of the day it was a crappy start of the day. Never heard it never felt it. I think it went down getting off the hwy. Less then a mile to my brothers. So pulled up to my brothers to change it. Of coarse the new truck and the wife took out my emergency box so I had nothing to change it. Brother to the rescue.lol it could have been much worse. Then we were going to go to dinner with family and brother and sister and went to get in the truck and guess what? Wife locked the keys and my wallet and her phone in it.lol ago thank goodness I had my phone and down loaded onatar app and unlocked the truck.lol. oh made it home and in the garage with no issues.lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Dang BB sorry to hear about your trouble. Tomorrow starts a new day so this one will become just a memory. It's all good in the long run!!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Wow

That's a pretty bad tread separation. Fortunately there was no damage to the wheel well.

You and your bro now have a memory that will last a lifetime. Started out rough--ended with laughter...nobody got hurt. :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

Nice save on that one. I might be towing a boat up from Montreal or Florida this week so am paranoid about tire or bearing failure. Planning on re adjusting the new fleet. Drop Edgewater155, get Mastercraft Barefoot 200.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, I think you lucked out! THAT could have really mangled the fender. Now you know the other three tires are ready to blow as well.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

How old are your trailer tires , BbP?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

BB sorry to hear about the tire. We experienced that with a long haul when my father sold the checkmate. Went through 3 tires on that trip.

This is a good teaching point for people. Don't ever throw that tire in the boat after replacing it. There was a guy on the other board that had a blowout. He changed it and drove down the highway. A couple miles down the road he looks and sees smoke in the mirror. The tire apparently had internal embers that were not visible. The air coming over the boat stoked the flames and the tire ignited. It was a brand new boat. I won't mention the brand but it was a mid tier center console and the dealer stepped up and did the repairs at cost with the insurance company and the boat looks brand new. I felt awful for the guy though it was his first real trip with the boat so he fished it as is with burns in the deck and gunwales and got it repaired when he got home.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Skiingstrongman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:37 am BB sorry to hear about the tire. We experienced that with a long haul when my father sold the checkmate. Went through 3 tires on that trip.

This is a good teaching point for people. Don't ever throw that tire in the boat after replacing it. There was a guy on the other board that had a blowout. He changed it and drove down the highway. A couple miles down the road he looks and sees smoke in the mirror. The tire apparently had internal embers that were not visible. The air coming over the boat stoked the flames and the tire ignited. It was a brand new boat. I won't mention the brand but it was a mid tier center console and the dealer stepped up and did the repairs at cost with the insurance company and the boat looks brand new. I felt awful for the guy though it was his first real trip with the boat so he fished it as is with burns in the deck and gunwales and got it repaired when he got home.

Wow,
Never knew about that skstmn. Great info. Thank you.
When the tire blew on the highway while hauling our Fountain, I changed it and put the old tire in our SUV. Glad I did!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water

Post by Tuscany »

I think we all fall in the trap of looking at tread wear.
On a trailer, tires never seem to show the same rate of tread wear because they never see the amount of service our cars and trucks show.
They sit for months on end in storage or baking in the sun for months when the boat is docked at a marina.

I read that 5 is the number. If they are looking brand new, but are 5 years old, toss them..or you are simply asking for trouble, and it's always the collateral damage that's the expensive part.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water

Post by AsLan7 »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:03 am I think we all fall in the trap of looking at tread wear.
On a trailer, tires never seem to show the same rate of tread wear because they never see the amount of service our cars and trucks show.
They sit for months on end in storage or baking in the sun for months when the boat is docked at a marina.

I read that 5 is the number. If they are looking brand new, but are 5 years old, toss them..or you are simply asking for trouble, and it's always the collateral damage that's the expensive part.

I agree, T. Cracks can so easily form on those sidewalls. Another thing to be mindful about are acetone based sprays when dressing those tires up. these can eventually eat thru the rubber.

We also use tire "skirts" to keep those harmful UV rays off the rubber if the trailer is stored outside for any length of time. One advantage of a smaller Cobalt---you can get it in your garage. Us bigger guys...well not so much...unless you are building your garage castle like Tuscany. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I got "smartened" up while deciding on tires for the new boat trailer. Man, did I learn about trailer tires. :shock:
On my old boat trailer, the tire tread looked brand new, even though they were originals....from 2003.
I never thought twice to change them because they looked good. Yeah, they were definitely weather checked on the sidewalls.
Still, I never thought it was imperative. They were 13" tires, and the trailer was never speced to hold a 4,200 lb boat.
Wow, did I dodge a bullet there.

I think the reason they never blew was pure luck. Maybe because my trip to the ramp was under 25 minutes and not long enough to build heat. Probably because they were Good Year Marathons built in Canada, and not China..
One shot of extended interstate speed in the heat...they would have all blown out together. :o
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine