Trailer loading a R5

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Trailer loading a R5

Post by Big Block Power »

Bfun220 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:32 pm One of the most frequent mistakes I see is backing the trailer too far in. Bow just touching bunks/rollers and stern still floating. Then they pull up the ramp and notice thier boat isn't straight. So they back in again and again until the boat is straight. Kind of fun to watch for a few minutes.
Been there done that.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Bfun220 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:32 pm One of the most frequent mistakes I see is backing the trailer too far in. Bow just touching bunks/rollers and stern still floating. Then they pull up the ramp and notice thier boat isn't straight. So they back in again and again until the boat is straight. Kind of fun to watch for a few minutes.

You can see the green boat (around 2:20 in the vid) is in that situation as the back of their boat is floating around because the trailer in in too deeeeeeeeeeep.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Very interesting topic, comforting that all have issues. One of our "tests" after we pull up is the distance between the side of the hull and the carpet area of the fenders. The left side is usually about an inch, right side slightly less. Can't seem to ever get it perfect. I agree with Aslan & liquid that it's good to be efficient. That said, if you get flustered or hurried, that's when costly mistakes happen. I do get frustrated with the people Aslan called "u planets". I'm wondering if they're going to wax it before they pull up the ramp.

We also boat during the week, like Tuscany. Don't hate us cause we're retired!

Since the subject of wheel bearings came up, I have a question. Have always struggled with how much to grease bearings, etc. My new Heritage trailer came with the "vault" oil bath bearings that supposedly require no maintenance. Anybody had experience with these? Almost seems too good to be true.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Alaskabound wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am Very interesting topic, comforting that all have issues. One of our "tests" after we pull up is the distance between the side of the hull and the carpet area of the fenders. The left side is usually about an inch, right side slightly less. Can't seem to ever get it perfect. I agree with Aslan & liquid that it's good to be efficient. That said, if you get flustered or hurried, that's when costly mistakes happen. I do get frustrated with the people Aslan called "u planets". I'm wondering if they're going to wax it before they pull up the ramp.

Since the subject of wheel bearings came up, I have a question. Have always struggled with how much to grease bearings, etc. My new Heritage trailer came with the "vault" oil bath bearings that supposedly require no maintenance. Anybody had experience with these? Almost seems too good to be true.

Dub

Wax it on the ramp :lol:

I have not had any experience with those. I'm curious though.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Alaskabound wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am Very interesting topic, comforting that all have issues. One of our "tests" after we pull up is the distance between the side of the hull and the carpet area of the fenders. The left side is usually about an inch, right side slightly less. Can't seem to ever get it perfect. I agree with Aslan & liquid that it's good to be efficient. That said, if you get flustered or hurried, that's when costly mistakes happen. I do get frustrated with the people Aslan called "u planets". I'm wondering if they're going to wax it before they pull up the ramp.

Dub
My just purchased boatmate trailer has the vault also. Interested to hear if people have to do anything.

Boatmate did tell me that every 3 years I need to bleed my break fluid and replace b/c the fluid can get water on it. I believe the fluid in mine is called DOT3
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If there oil bath bearing don't grease them. They are like a semi. Always in oil. The seals can go bad and after time I would change the lube in them.It can break down. I've never had a trailer with them. They made another trailer axle that you can pump grease in them and it guess right into the bearings great set up and the extra is supposed to weep out s hole the back. Nice set up too.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

I had a fifth wheel with hubs like that but still managed to over grease them. I need something idiot proof so maybe this will work. Dealer said the vault bearings are under 3-6 lbs of pressure. It is a grease when cold but as soon as you drive, it liquifies. Sounds like something liquid needs

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

After another load, I'm closer to the perfect spot to stop the trailer in the water. For my trailer, the center target bunks need to be submerged right up to the front where the most forward portion of the boards are peaking out of the water. Power in and I'm there...
The R series or maybe all Cobalt's in general seem to be heavy in the front, which for me at least, requires my trailer to go in deep.

Also, after a slight vertical bunk adjustment to the forward part on the inside rear bunk, it doesn't matter if my boat comes out of the water and loads slightly off center at the rear due to current, it now settles in and perfectly centers itself within the first mile out on the road.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

"For my trailer, the center target bunks need to be submerged right up to the front where the most forward portion of the boards are peaking out of the water. "

Hey T, great to hear we are exactly the same!

That is certainly deeper than most trailers we have owned in the past. Past trailers we have owned were submerged just to the forward tip of the wheel-well. This current trail-rite trailer cradling our 263 needs to be deeper.

I always get a kick visiting my folks at the eastern shore. At their ramps, most folks only back down to the point where their trailer wheel bearings are just above the water so that the salt water won't invade.

I still remember when this vid came out. He is in deep too. Great paint job though!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Welcome from South AL Jeff! However I have no loading/trailering help to add at this time. Well maybe one thing...with another boat, after I learned how to power on well only cranked the last inch or 2 ever again. Even pushed the truck out with the boat at a particularly steep ramp. But now no trailering lately. I'm no help. Oh don't forget to tighten that hitch onto that ball. Sounds like a joke but....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

This is a few minutes from me. Hate to think I might have been on the water when they were.
https://youtu.be/gMh38ck7fVs
2018 r5
2003 220
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

That’s hard to watch
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I'm still trying to figure out how the guy on the dock pulling the boat away from the trailer.. is helping :? ...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

:roll: .
Man, that is painful.
Are they speaking a foreign language?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Bfun220 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm This is a few minutes from me. Hate to think I might have been on the water when they were.
https://youtu.be/gMh38ck7fVs
Wow I'm glad I launch were I do now. Holy cows. What launch is that?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!