Trailer loading a R5

Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Trailer loading a R5

Post by Tuscany »

Well, everyone here has a tip to offer, and I've also picked up on some smart tips to try.
I've only launched and retrieved my boat 4 times, so with a little more experience, I think it will become routine.

Like you, my experience is totally different from my last boat, and there are no similarities to draw on when it comes to loading our Cobalt.
These girls are big, bulky and heavy. Kind of like Cleveland Browns fans. I was going to say Green Bay.. :lol:
Anyway...
The biggest difference is that my old trailer rode on 13" wheels. With small rubber, everything could sit lower. This one sits on 16" rubber, and takes a few more feet in to float it off.
Last edited by Tuscany on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:48 am
Tuscany wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 am I built this trailer long, and I added 3' extra to the tongue of my last trailer.
I like the bow of the boat at least 7' behind the hitch. Anything less makes it a wet proposition to recover the boat. A 7' space usually keeps the rear axle out of the water, and on my truck it does.. but it takes a lot more depth on my boat to float the front of the hull.

I always loved those guide posts, T. Had that with my Fountain and it was so easy to guide on the boat-- even during our brief time river boating where you also have currents to deal with in addition to the winds and other boaters waiting to launch or retrieve.

Btw, with how busy our boat ramps are, it delays quite a few folks when boater's do that "float on" method you are talking about. I don't think this is what you are doing but they will come in...tie up at the ramp...get their tow rig and in the meantime block the ramp as everyone waits on them. We call these folks "Mr. U-planets" as the world revolves around them while they launch or retrieve. Again--not saying this is what you are doing--just what we have observed at the boat ramps thru the many years.

It certainly is easier if there is a courtesy dock as folks just wait in line and move up one by one until their tow rig comes in sight at which time they head toward the ramp.

Hopefully your ramp is not as crowded as some of these can be (like on 4th of July weekend).

It really works like an assembly line at our marina ramp as 4 boats at a time are pulled out of the water like a well oiled machine (with exceptions of course)...one person pulls their boat out...the next trailer waiting to retrieve their boat backs down (usually my wife who I already dropped off while I wait in the water or at the courtesy dock)....while I'm on the boat I just monitor the ramp and as I see it's our turn-- when my wife is next up, I'll start to motor toward the ramp where I then slowly power it onto the trailer that she just backed down...connect...winch....pull her out. Easy as pie and very quick and efficient as no one waits on us.

btw, one of my favorite things to do is to go to a restaurant that is located next to a boat ramp. Sit on the deck, eat, and watch the festivities take place. I'm sure you and I could write a book (on forgotten drain plugs alone).

We try to boat during the week, just to avoid the ramp back up. One ramp we use is so busy, it's always a clusterphu**. Everyone is constantly waiting on the boat owner to park or get their rig to retrieve. It is what it is. We just go in ready to drop, park, run back and get out of Dodge as fast as we can. I think most people around here try to do the same.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:48 am
Tuscany wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 am I built this trailer long, and I added 3' extra to the tongue of my last trailer.
I like the bow of the boat at least 7' behind the hitch. Anything less makes it a wet proposition to recover the boat. A 7' space usually keeps the rear axle out of the water, and on my truck it does.. but it takes a lot more depth on my boat to float the front of the hull.

I always loved those guide posts, T. Had that with my Fountain and it was so easy to guide on the boat-- even during our brief time river boating where you also have currents to deal with in addition to the winds and other boaters waiting to launch or retrieve.

Btw, with how busy our boat ramps are, it delays quite a few folks when boater's do that "float on" method you are talking about. I don't think this is what you are doing but they will come in...tie up at the ramp...get their tow rig and in the meantime block the ramp as everyone waits on them. We call these folks "Mr. U-planets" as the world revolves around them while they launch or retrieve. Again--not saying this is what you are doing--just what we have observed at the boat ramps thru the many years.

It certainly is easier if there is a courtesy dock as folks just wait in line and move up one by one until their tow rig comes in sight at which time they head toward the ramp.

Hopefully your ramp is not as crowded as some of these can be (like on 4th of July weekend).

It really works like an assembly line at our marina ramp as 4 boats at a time are pulled out of the water like a well oiled machine (with exceptions of course)...one person pulls their boat out...the next trailer waiting to retrieve their boat backs down (usually my wife who I already dropped off while I wait in the water or at the courtesy dock)....while I'm on the boat I just monitor the ramp and as I see it's our turn-- when my wife is next up, I'll start to motor toward the ramp where I then slowly power it onto the trailer that she just backed down...connect...winch....pull her out. Easy as pie and very quick and efficient as no one waits on us.

btw, one of my favorite things to do is to go to a restaurant that is located next to a boat ramp. Sit on the deck, eat, and watch the festivities take place. I'm sure you and I could write a book (on forgotten drain plugs alone).
...While your wife backs the trailer into the water? :shock:

You should thank fish everyday for her. :lol:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

jeffmeag wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 am Tuscany-I had the same problem with mine (hence the questions). I applied liquid rollers to my bunks as they were new and very grippy as well. I also had to spike the brakes to launch the boat, but now with the liquid rollers, it slides right off very easy. However, this is part of my loading problem (which the liquid roller didn't help) because now when I load onto the trailer and get the bow eye close to the roller, it tends to slide back down the bunks before I can get the winch attached and tightened down. I'm going to try going in deeper as AsLan7 suggested and will probably also try leaving it in gear to hold it in place. I really don't like having to use full power to get it on (due to erosion that was mentioned) but have found myself having to do so at some points......
The one thing about sticky bunks it the insurance that the boat won't slip off when backing down a steep ramp. THAT..would not be good.
Be careful..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

This is a pretty insightful thread, with good tips. Funny how differently we do the same things with our own measures.

My boat is much smaller/lighter than most of yours but I've launched a million different boats on all manner of ramps including straight off beaches.

My method is pretty straightforward. Back wheels in the water until she moves. Let out 2 ft. Usually won't move unless there's chop. 50-75% depending. Unhook. Power off.

Load the same way. 2 ft. 50-75%. Power on (not where I'm really throttling, just goose her up a bit). Leave at Idle. Hook up & crank tight.

... then I get in and drive away because I do everything all the time. I may be one of the guys that annoys you that does everything by himself, but I am EFFICIENT.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Tuscany wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 pm
Tuscany wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:11 pm

You are on a roll tonight.. :lol:
I know thank fish my wife just got home from a school meeting.lol
Love it when spell check totally changes your sentences.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1998 flat bottom. thing was awesome. Super light. You could throw your weight around on it and it would launch on regular wakes. Awesome.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Take your time, don't rush. I don't mind that at all. The things I get hung up on are being out of lane so that you're not allowing a person to back up next to you, or not being ready when you're up because you didn't load everything in the boat ahead of time. That one grinds my gears. You stood there tapping your foot hemming and hawing and you could have been getting ready to go way ahead of time.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I don't think I could ever trust myself to load or unload.... on second thought, yeah I could if I had to.. :D
Lots of current in the Buffalo area ramps, and if you are not careful, you can get into a heap-a-trouble. Just last time in, I had it sideways right behind my trailer. One of our friends pushed the stern off the dock too hard as we were untying to load. Then the current caught me and I was the star of the comedy show for about 45 seconds..
That was fun.. :mrgreen: I did an almost 360 and drove it right back out, and back in. Geeeezuz... :o
Once I get in within the guide posts, I'm out of potential trouble
Last edited by Tuscany on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

liquid wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:31 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 pm

I know thank fish my wife just got home from a school meeting.lol
1998 flat bottom. thing was awesome. Super light. You could throw your weight around on it and it would launch on regular wakes. Awesome.

I think you're in the wrong thread with this post liquid. You're moving too fast thru these! :lol:
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

It would be nice if the wife could learn to drive a boat or back a trailer, but she usually has a baby in her hands... don't know when that's going to end.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Liquid has probably had a stressful day, considering the markets and the recent unrest...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:39 pm
liquid wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:31 pm

I think you're in the wrong thread with this post liquid. You're moving too fast thru these! :lol:
You caught that fast, I put it in it's proper place :D
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:42 pm Liquid has probably had a stressful day, considering the markets and the recent unrest...
:D remember we buy individual equities - unrest has benefited our portfolio's... Defense!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm I don't think I could ever trust myself to load or unload.... on second thought, yeah I could if I had to.. :D
Lots of current in the Buffalo area ramps, and if you are not careful, you can get into a heap-a-trouble. Just last time in, I had it sideways right behind my trailer. One of our friends pushed the stern off the dock too hard as we were untying to load. Then the current caught me and I was the star of the comedy show for about 45 seconds..
That was fun.. :mrgreen:
Once I get in within the guide posts, I'm out of potential trouble

That would be funny watching that, T. We have all had our moments that's for sure. Hopefully forgiving ones that help us to grow from our mistakes.

With that being said, if it is on a weekday and very slow, I'll take our boat to the ramp and launch and retrieve solo. It's when it's busy that this "lone ranger" launch/retrieve will become an issue. You'll certainly forget something as everyone glares at you because you are now "that guy". Two person if busy. Solo is ok if not busy please.

....Cobalt members are too classy to do this-- or even worse--be the screamer out there yellin' at your wife and kids. Talk about scarin' folks from ever wanting to go into this wonderful boatin' past-time. Seen that more than once over the years.

The best advice I can give is to go out when it's not busy and practice!

With our first boat, after my wife and I took the USCG boating course, we went to an empty parking lot and practiced driving our new trailer carrying a new sweet 16 Donzi. Forward and Reverse. Steering. Wide turns. Learning how to back up, maneuver, etc.

Then we would go to the ramp on SLOW days and practice the checklist (which we came up with) so we did it the same way every time all the time. Everyone is on the same page with how to launch as we brought our kids into the routine. You will GREATLY reduce your chance of making mistakes or heaven forbid, hurt someone else or something else.

The practice pays off--again, so you are not "that guy"....or worse yet..that "drunk guy". (we don't drink). Lots of wisdom on this site. Feel free to add your advice folks so you can launch and retrieve safely even under strenuous weather conditions or worse yet--with hecklers ready to flame you if you make a mistake.: 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

One of the most frequent mistakes I see is backing the trailer too far in. Bow just touching bunks/rollers and stern still floating. Then they pull up the ramp and notice thier boat isn't straight. So they back in again and again until the boat is straight. Kind of fun to watch for a few minutes.
2018 r5
2003 220