Buying a New cobalt cs3 any recommendations?

Mxboy2661
Ensign
Ensign

Buying a New cobalt cs3 any recommendations?

Post by Mxboy2661 »

I found a 17 model and the otd price would be $58k including taxes etc, I'm thinking of ordering one so I can pic my options, the main options I want are the upgraded radio, motor, and the nicer bimini, any advice will greatly appreciated.
Fun2Fish
Commander
Commander

Re: Buying a New cobalt cs3 any recommendations?

Post by Fun2Fish »

Mxboy2661 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:02 pm I found a 17 model and the otd price would be $58k including taxes etc, I'm thinking of ordering one so I can pic my options, the main options I want are the upgraded radio, motor, and the nicer bimini, any advice will greatly appreciated.
Is that new, w/trailer? What engine and options does it have? Im in the market for a 220S and found a new 17 that is well equipped for $66,000. Options: 300hp w/EVC, premium sound, arch, flag, dual battery and trailer. Think I'm gonna order new for color and a few other options. Sea grass flooring, fender, clips and transom trim switch.
2018 220S w/VP 300
KC -> Table Rock Lake
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from Wisconsin. What does this boat have that you want to change. Not sure but the radio is the easiest to change after the fact and get what you want. Power plant different story. What's in it now and what do you want? Colors.sounds like a great price.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey mxboy2661. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

Which engine selections are you wavering over? Brand?
How will you be using this CS3? Cruising, water sports. Etc. Sounds like a real deal too.

Again, great to have you here.
Welcome aboard!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Mxboy2661
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mxboy2661 »

Thanks! The motor the 17 comes with is w 4.5i mpi b3 cat 250hp? I have no choices with that model cause its a leftover. My family and I would be 1st time boaters and this will be used mostly for pulling tubes and pleasure. The 17 model the otd price sounds like a great deal but I'm not sure weather I'd like to build my own or not. The boat does have the bimini top, transom switch, the bow covers, the battery switch and fender clips. It's also a dual prop. Is the 250hp good enough? Anything else I should concern myself with?
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

The merc 250 Is a good engine but way too small for a 23 ft boat. I wouldn't want anything under 300 for how your going to use it. Congrats on the choice. Others will chime In with there opinions as well.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Welcome going forward!!

For the price " with trailer" it's a deal..

Ordering new for a engine upgrade would be great as the color choice would then be yours..

The dealer wants to move the current inventory so at a 30% discount ( Cobalt also has year end sales on that model)
Hopefully you can see a great deal ordering.

Don't be weary to travel to get what you want as there may be your boat still out there that a dealer is cutting.

Have fun with your future endeavors!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Mxboy2661
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mxboy2661 »

The boat doesn't come with a trailer. I've been looking for cs3 in a 250miles radius of where I live
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:04 am The merc 250 Is a good engine but way too small for a 23 ft boat. I wouldn't want anything under 300 for how your going to use it. Congrats on the choice. Others will chime In with there opinions as well.
Remember, BBP is the guy that would stuff a 8.2L in a 19ft boat if cobalt would let him. But yeah, 250 in a 23ft boat is a bit small. I know they are getting a ton of horsepower out of the smaller v6's, but I would want to step up to a V8 for the low end power. It's still a heavy bowrider so top end speed isnt a huge deal, but getting up on plane quickly is pretty nice.

I also agree /w BBP I would prioritize things like engine upgrade over premimum sound. Adding speakers and amp's is relitivley easy, but you are stuck /w the engine package you choose. Spend the money up front on things that are difficult to change later.
Last edited by NautiGirl on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome mxboy. So are you a rider? I'm a KTM guy myself.

Sounds like you have found a great deal. The only thing I would add what Matt said. Calling around to see what other dealers may have might get you an even better deal. You may have to fly to buy but it might be worth it. Factor in a trailer and shipping.

Sound is easy to upgrade. Fender clips too for that matter. Things to watch for is what you can't change, add or replace yourself down the road. Motors, swimdeck, towers etc. That motor may be a bit small.

Let us know what you decide and add some pictures!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Most new don't include trailers for reasons of local delivery.. rack marina store blah blah.

I know my trailer just sits 8 months and gets used twice so see if you need one...??

As Ytsmn stated..
Also.. try "Any Distance " in your search.. you'll be amazed what a plane ticket and a shipper can do for you..

If in the end you don't find what you want.. I would order what you want . That way we can spend your money with you!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

*for you
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

You might not buy phender clips right away. I don’t have them and want two for my 220 around where the window opens and fastens, not where they put them by the cleat. I find the boat hits there when docking. I usually put one fender off the window to solve the problem
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Mxboy2661 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:57 am Thanks! The motor the 17 comes with is w 4.5i mpi b3 cat 250hp? I have no choices with that model cause its a leftover. My family and I would be 1st time boaters and this will be used mostly for pulling tubes and pleasure. The 17 model the otd price sounds like a great deal but I'm not sure weather I'd like to build my own or not. The boat does have the bimini top, transom switch, the bow covers, the battery switch and fender clips. It's also a dual prop. Is the 250hp good enough? Anything else I should concern myself with?
Hey, welcome to the 1st time boater's world too! You are starting off with THE best built runabout brands in the industry. Nice job!

The CS3 (which Cobalt has since changed to the CS23 model designation) will be a great starter boat.

As the tangerine dream :D mentioned above, the 250 horse V6 Merc will struggle in a 23'8" (really 24') boat. What does that mean to you? ...She will take a little longer to get on plane (up on top of the water) from a stand still; and top speed will be in the 40's.

The 300 horse V8 that was tested in the CS3 hops up on plane in 2-3 seconds and tops out at 49-50 mph. With a 250HP V6, she will struggle, but not unsafe by any means. The dual prop outdrive is certainly the way to go to help with planing. I'm sure you have seen this but here are the numbers from Boating World:

Bottom line, you'll be wanting more power while playing around on the lake and she will be a little tougher to sell when it's time to unload (that's why this one hasn't sold yet).

Try to take her for a test drive with your family if the weather allows it. If you are ok with the performance and the dealership offers you a deal you can't refuse, go for it! FWIW, our first new boat was a V6 and I longed for the V8 after purchase.

As far as options go, other than 300 horses or greater-- coupled to a dual prop out-drive, the remote transom trim; dual covers; and upgraded stereo that you mentioned are great to have. I can't recall off hand about the CS3 layout, but the CS23 has the option for L seating OR dual rear entry boarding. Depending on your family size and how many you plan to take on the water, the aft filler cushions are another nice option. Certainly provides more seating when needed.
aft.jpg
When choosing options in a boat, we will normally select items which we would not be able to upgrade ourselves in the future without a significant cash outlay. Upgrading to a larger engine or changing outdrives down the road would be such an example. Thus, as a general rule, you purchase the largest engine you can afford at the time of purchase with the proper outdrive package.

Stereo upgrades & fender clips are something you can always do down the road. Not a necessity at purchase time. Make sure your wife likes the color!

A dual battery switch is a must, IMHO, as you have insurance against a dead battery while playing tunes, charging, accidentally leaving accessories on etc. which can run down your main battery but still keep the 2nd battery for use. Great to hear this one has it.

You mentioned bimini top. Nice to keep the wife & kids out of the sun. Does it come with the wakeboard arch bimini or just bimini alone? With the way our family wakeboards, the arch is a great option to have. If it's just tubing and skiing with an occasional wakeboard pull, you can forgo the arch.

The active trim system is a nicety but I would forgo that option and learn to drive a boat using trim. It's not difficult at all.

Try to shoot for a quality trailer from Eagle, Loadmaster, Shorelandr, Venture, Dorsey, etc. Bunk preferred over rollers so as not to "indent" the hull.

Exciting times for ya' mxboy2661. Hopefully this was helpful. All we ask for are pictures in return of you and your beautiful family using your precious Cobalt on the lake. Cheers :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Nice writeup AsLan. Can't compain about a Cobalt as a first boat. The V6 as noted will be a bit down on power, but still will get them out on the water in a great boat. And hey he will be laughing at all of us at the fuel pump. Lord knows I miss our v6 when it comes time to fuel up.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"