Cobalts and blistering?

DEKE
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Cobalts and blistering?

Post by DEKE »

lilhackster wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 pm Hey DEKE, I keep my boat in a slip for 6 months no bottom paint, its a 2004 360 when I first put it in all the older owners would say i was crazy need barrier coat then anti fouling paint or I would ruin my bottom, the other people with go fast boats say don't do it, slows the boat down, doesn't look good, resale value will drop, etc. etc. ect. 3rd year now no problems, a lot more work to keep it nice, acid wash on haul out at the end of season, then I buff the bottom and wax, no blisters as of right now. could it happen? maybe, will I bottom paint? no, If this was a cruiser type boat and not a go fast I would probably barrier coat and bottom paint.
Skiingstrongman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:24 pm I have a 2010 230 and it has spent every season in the water. No issues. Acid wash at the end of the season and buff and wax before the season. The more you use it the better in terms of fouling. Sitting is not good for fouling.
jhnmdahl wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:41 pm Cobalt used a barrier coat before 2013, just not the z-thane.

This is great to hear. Thanks for the info sirs.

Still haven’t spoken with Cobalt - naturally I finally had the opportunity to call them....on the weekend.
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Re: Cobalts and blistering?

Post by notstock4long »

I had a slip this past season, but only left the boat in over the weekend. I'd typically put in in Thursday or Friday and pull it Sunday. I didn't get any blistering, but even overnight sure left a heck of a scum line. Even that was pushing what I was comfortable with, but by the time we got the boat the only marina I could find with a slip didn't allow lifts. I assume the z-thane barrier coat stuff is basically a gimmick. I hate the idea of bottom paint on a newer nice looking boat though. I have heard you can get the hull epoxy coated from the water line down...expensive, but wouldn't look like crap like bottom paint, and epoxy is waterproof (or at least much more so), unlike gelcoat.

Will the marina not allow you to pay them to put a lift in, or just plain not allow you to have a lift at all? I mean...could you hire a local boom truck guy and have him drop it in without the marina involved?
2018 Cobalt CS22