Merry December and Happy Christmas Pics!

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Merry December and Happy Christmas Pics!

Post by Big Block Power »

Tuscany wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 pm No takers?
This is nuthin’🤣
I love summer here. They are the best days anywhere, but i’ve GOT to wonder what my grandparents were thinking when they settled here. 🙈

When the lake effect machine starts up, and that warm lake has ice cold polar air flowing over, it just picks up the steam/moisture, carries it onto land and sprays it out like a fire hose. It can be sunny outside of an 8 mile wide band, and those who are in the path get smashed..
We’ve got about 8” with another foot possible when the band hits us again. That’s not even winter, that’s just the appetizer.
In 2014, those who got stuck in the path of the fire hose got 6’-8’ in one night..
No thanks. Been in enough of that crap sledding in Grand Marais Mi.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

It gets old...fast..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes it does. Like this morning and it was only a dusting.lol
Every night getting into bed I keep saying one of these days :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

My sister spent 5 years in Niagara... She couldn't take winters anymore and changed jobs. She said it's just brutal and she never really got used to it! Her first winter up there they got several inches of snow one morning and she asked of schools were closing and people got a good laugh at her expense. Around here we close schools at the mention of snow...
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, unlike southern states, we are well equipped to plow and salt. Without proper salt, it's mega dangerous, so I understand how schools close with a trace of snow down south. That can turn to road ice instantly, and people die.
Unless we have a lot of snow overnight that we can't plow, schools rarely close. We are normally cleaned up before school starts.

Winter is fine this time of year. Makes things cozy. Once we get past the 1st, you better have a winter hobby, or you will go stir crazy. By the time February rolls around, we are looking to get the hell out of it. March? Things get suicidal, and we get out and stay out as long as we can, April snow? Just a soul crusher.
I can do snow, but I can't do cold. My wife went to school in Minneapolis. She says I don't know what cold is...

I don't think any of us get used to it, we just have to deal with it...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Good find. I saw that one awhile ago.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Tuscany wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 pm Winter is fine this time of year. Makes things cozy. Once we get past the 1st, you better have a winter hobby, or you will go stir crazy. By the time February rolls around, we are looking to get the hell out of it. March? Things get suicidal, and we get out and stay out as long as we can, April snow? Just a soul crusher.
I can do snow, but I can't do cold. My wife went to school in Minneapolis. She says I don't know what cold is...
Our first year in Colorado I couldn't wait for snow. We moved there in March and they were having a warm winter so we didn't see much of anything before spring and summer hit. Summer was beautiful in the mountains...afternoon showers almost every day, everything was so green. First snow was in October, I was so excited. By end of November I was ready to tear my hair out. Got old quick, should have known that was the beginning of the end for us. A year and a half later and we moved back to Phoenix. Already said it multiple times but I don't know how you guys do it. I'll happily sweat my butt off in 115 degrees all any day over living in the snow again. Week long ski trip is about as much as I can handle at one time :lol:

View from our patio was hard to beat though...miss this sometimes
FB_IMG_1512742817396.jpg
Did this drive to work way too many times. I70 near Eisenhower tunnel
FB_IMG_1512742775000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

How do we do it? It hasn't been easy.
Basically no choice for me. Our business is here, and I am basically rooted deep, AKA marooned. The positive is that we have the perfect summers and clean waters to boat in. When it gets old, and winter gets old FAST, we call Southwest Airlines and get the hell out of here for a week or two at a time. The store lets us pile up air miles..It's the only thing that keeps us sane. Thank God my son can run the store. He takes his turns as well.

If you look at it objectively, there really isn't a one perfect place to live where we enjoy the outside 365, unless you live in S/Cal, S/Florida or Hawaii. I couldn't stand to live in 100+ temperatures. My body can't take the intense heat. It just saps everything out of me.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Snowed in Austin last night!!!! Really just a dusting of snow with some areas getting 2-4". They shut the schools down. No joke. Just can't get there from here. I'm out driving the roads at 6am, they are dry. Still some snow on the grass at 32 deg, but nothing at all on the roads. What are they thinking?

We rarely get any snow at all here. I guess some of the decision makers have never seen it before. Ha!
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I was living in San Antonio one year when it dusted. Everybody freaked out! They shut EVERYTHING down!

And I'm with you once again Tusc. Scares me how much we think alike sometimes.

I used to think summer was bombdiggity. But as I get older the heat gets to me and kicks my ass. I end up acclimating but it's still hard.

When I'm outside (and I'm outside a lot) it seems like I can get warm by working harder, putting on more clothes or using heated gear. But when it's hot I can only strip down to nekkid and that's not something anyone wants to see. And then whatever I pick up is so freaking hot...

I used to tell my wife fall and winter is my favorite season and in reality it probably still is. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a I have a lake house and boat to go to now I'd live farther north, but not by much. Here we can get in the water up to our earlobes and float like... well, floaters.

If I had to live where your at I'd go nuts. I can handle a few weeks of snow. But months at a time? Fahgetaboutit.

And where Thunder lives? That woulds suck just as bad. When I'm there in January my nose and throat dry up like a fried porkskin.

So ya see y'all, Oklahoma is really God's country! Warm summers with bouts of hot 100° days and mild winters with bouts of single digits or teen weather. But neither last for long. But you need to hangout on the Eastern side of the state. The western side is flat, treeless, and featureless, a lot like BB's head. 😁

Of course we have ticks here as big as armadillos, and the other day i saw two mosquitos holding down a crow. One bad the crow by the neck and the other was having his way..
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm The western side is flat, treeless, and featureless, a lot like BB's head. 😁
I just laughed out loud at work, thanks :lol: :lol:
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Hahaha..YT! That’s a good one are our good friends expense.. 🙈
BTW, Your lake house is the absolute bomb!

Well, like we say around here, “summer” is the best “day” of the year..🤣🤣🤣
Really, summer is very special in these parts. Tons of motorcycles, boats, antique cars, RV campsites, lots of summer things to do. Everything is packed into three months. I guess we celebrate every single day. Nothing is better than loading up the cooler with drinks and snacks and going out on the Lake. Maybe a BBQ on the deck or a night time swim in the pool afterwards...It just never becomes ho-humm because of the shorter season.
This area gets four totally different seasons for sure.. trust me when I say that NO ONE can mentally handle 3-4 months of winter around here. We all get sick of it pretty fast.
We ski or snowmobile to make the best of it.. I do have to say that snowmobiling is damn near as fun as anything I’ve ever done. Friends, horsepower, speed, bars.. the star lit, late night beauty of a cold and still winter night when you are in the middle of nowhere enjoying a break on the side of a trail. It definitely makes it more tolerable.
Last edited by Tuscany on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thunder550 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:42 pm
Ytmsn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm The western side is flat, treeless, and featureless, a lot like BB's head. 😁
Wth did I do to deserve that TY . I will get even you hillbilly porkskined redneck.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:38 pm
thunder550 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:42 pm
Wth did I do to deserve that TY . I will get even you hillbilly porkskined redneck.
OUCH!🤕
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine