Travel/Mooring cover

ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Travel/Mooring cover

Post by ajcampen »

I would always try and find who the oem was made by if the original covers were from cobalt. My sea ray (and many other boat companies) used Great Lakes boat top. Since they created the pattern it will be the cheapest place to get replacements. They also have a couple sales a year with the best 20-25% off in Jan
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

I have a local guy who's made me covers for 30 years, all made of Aqualon, works for me,
The best trailering covers he's made for me had snaps with draw string, my 220 has ratchet strap with loops to tie off on trailer frame-I don't like this setup and have discussed altering cover and putting snaps in. Just hate drilling those holes
It could be just the hull design but cover has came loose going down highway, plus I'm concerned the tie off straps will rub on gelcoat, previous covers with snaps were never an issue.
MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MAP53 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:46 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:32 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Yep they can do that all day long. Just ask your local vocal
Cobalt dealer and see who they use.
We don't have a local dealer anymore!

Map53... Bluegrass Canvas and Upholstery got good Google reviews!
How do the old ones fit? You can send them up here I'll bring them to the best here in Wisconsin. There has to be a bunch by you with the big lakes by you.
I'm sure I can get it done locally, just havn't done any research yet, another winter project. I'ii get on that soon.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I have a buddy with a 26ft formula and he has the full cover but the snaps are on there under side of the rub rail. I think it's brilliant. Can't see them. Not sure how much room you have there for that.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

My mooring cover has ratchet straps built into the cover. One on both Port and Starboard on the bow. They really pull the mooring cover tight and when tight, there is no way the cover is coming off.

In later years Cobalt moved them from the bow to the stern. It makes them a little easier to get to, and they will pull directly at the straps when they turn the corner at the transom which is the area where the straps don't want to pull evenly.

You can see the pockets on each side just at the apex of the bow, and in the other photos just to the left of the post with the mooring line attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:20 pm My boat only came with a mooring cover. What a pain in the arss to install if the boat is in the water. I hated it. I love my bow and cockpit covers. I had them added this last summer. If I kept my boat outside or on a lift yes then a mooring cover is the way to go. I trailered without a cover plenty of times. One summer it just wanted to rain everytime I went to the lake or came home. God had something on me for some reason.
I would agree. Putting the mooring cover on with the boat in the water from the inside would be a pain. In my case I do it with it on the lift where I have access to all sides and it is easy. If I didn't have the lift / slip, I would opt for something different.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:20 pm My boat only came with a mooring cover. What a pain in the arss to install if the boat is in the water. I hated it. I love my bow and cockpit covers. I had them added this last summer. If I kept my boat outside or on a lift yes then a mooring cover is the way to go. I trailered without a cover plenty of times. One summer it just wanted to rain everytime I went to the lake or came home. God had something on me for some reason.
I would agree. Putting the mooring cover on with the boat in the water from the inside would be a pain. In my case I do it with it on the lift where I have access to all sides and it is easy. If I didn't have the lift / slip, I would opt for something different.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Here's a vid of the installation of the mooring cover with the ratchets on the stern.

It looks like they were manufactured by Commercial Sewings. At least in 2014. Mine looks identical to the one in the vid down to the support poles, except the ratchets are mounted on the bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z4WREdbajg
"DIGGIN' IT"
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Yup, Cobalt switched from Westland to Commercial Sewing and the placement of the ratchet pockets and the use of a band of web strap vs. a thin rope was a big improvement. There is a good video on YouTube of a Cobalt with the Comercial Sewing cover being hauled down an interstate at 65+ MPH.

It would be great to get the Commercial Sewing cover, but they didn’t make it when the 2007 212 was put out. That said, the 2008+ 222 hull is identical. So, if Commercial Sewing has a cover that fits an ‘08+ 222 that might be a real option. Id give them a shout.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Here is the YouTube video of a Cobalt being towed with the Commercial Sewing cover. Commercial Sewing refers to their product as 'Outer Armor' which incorporates their proprietary 'Vacu-Hold' technology.

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjTHYjhz45o][/url]

The boat sure looks like a 212 too. Has the same platform as the 212.
Toronto, Canada
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Mark, there used to be a shop in Jeffersonville, Indiana just across the river. I took my Searay cover up there for repairs. Sorry I can't recall the name. Maybe a google search in Jeffersonville could find them. Also, you may be able to pull up vendors from this years boat show.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Here's a quick pic of my 212 with the Westland mooring cover on it. Fabric is Sunbrella.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toronto, Canada
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

There is a shop on the property with Arnold Boats on river Rd. I’m kind of looking around myself.
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

ColinC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 pm Here's a quick pic of my 212 with the Westland mooring cover on it. Fabric is Sunbrella.
Damn that boat looks good.....dreaming of mid April when I can launch my boat again
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Thanks AJ. I’m with you — can’t wait for Spring! Our season is a bit shorter. My boat won’t go in until mid-May.
Toronto, Canada