Cobalt 282 with twin 8.1 L Volvos

Markus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Cobalt 282 with twin 8.1 L Volvos

Post by Markus »

Hi, Brand new to Cobalt Chat as just put offer in on 2005 Cobalt 282 BR with twin 8.1 Volvo engines. Anyone have this setup on 282 and anything to know about its performance and handling? Lot of power for this boat but it will be used on great lakes solely. Secondly, has anyone put the Samson Blade tower on their 282? Cobalt tech service sent me the technical drawings for the location of their OEM tower and this should go in same place according to factory. TIA for any insights.
Markus
Cobalt 282 Twin 8.1 Volvos
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Cobalt 282 with twin 8.1 L Volvos

Post by Ytmsn »

Matt to the nearest White paging telephone!

Welcome to the gang! But you're not officially a member until you show us some pictures of your new boat!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Markus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Markus »

Thanks. I respectfully refuse to post until it can be pictured actually in the water:)) Snow and boats just don't mix!
Markus
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from Wisconsin. I can't help you with the twins mine has trips. :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey Markus. Love the 282 model with its walk through transom.

You will see Matt posting here shortly about his.

So glad you found us my friend!

Welcome aboard mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Markus our resident 282 owner is Matt out in Stockton California. If you get yours bought he will be glad to know there's someone else on here with a boat like his. He's pretty knowledgeable about his boat and hasshared a lot of tips and tricks with us so I'm sure he'll be a good resource for you.
"Black Boats Matter"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Hey Markus it is nice to hear a future 282 Cobalt owner is coming.. hopefully your deal goes without a hitch!

Yes I am absolutely in love with mine.!!!!. as you know they are a rare special order in the 282 with twin big blocks, but even more of a unicorn with twin Volvo big blocks!! So fingers crossed..

Handling

At a 9.0 foot beam it's very stable in cross wakes and at higher speeds it's fearless of any incoming wakeboard boats wake as well. Haha.
All the weight in the back had me curious on turning but like it's 262 siblings it digs and holds like a sports car.

The high freeboard will be a plus in the big water where you are!

Interior.

As stated by our brothers here it's spacious and easy to enter with the walk through ,and the seating will have 6 people in back never touching knees..
The windshield is tall and conversation at speed is easy as a result.

Tower..

Just the Bimini as I do like the tower look I also love the 2 min instant shade the ol Bimini gives me. Plus when it's go time I can pop it back and cover it quick.

Those towers you mention look awesome so make sure you start a thread going forward when the time comes!!

Only concern is blade Bimini doesn't go forward far like the oem Cobalt one.. not sure if a Bimini is important to you but it may look off??

Performance!! 😎

If you got the F9 prop option ( sea level) she will fly pretty good!!

I cruise 3300 rpm at 50mph all day long or 4000 rpm is 60.
I have spooled her up to a best of 67 mph but I'm feeling with some trimming above the porpoise feeling she may go faster.

And in closing twins engines when parking!! You will love it.. put it anywhere you want while never touching the steering.

Weeeew that does it for me guys... I wore out my thumb ... just typing about her makes me happy to have the season around the corner!!

Good luck Markus
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Markus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Markus »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Great information Matt and this makes me more comfortable with my purchase decision - much appreciated. Wanted twin engines and 65-70 MPH which from all reports I should get. (did not know you could do "trips" as posted earlier) ;) I assume you meant BB Volvo's are a rare package and not something that has been problematic for owners.

I will post a picture once tower installed. Little nervous as I don't want to make a $4K mistake but also like the looks and something to grab when coming aboard. The additional speakers have nothing to do with it I have told my wife.

Thanks again all.
Markus
gdane
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by gdane »

Markus wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm Hi, Brand new to Cobalt Chat as just put offer in on 2005 Cobalt 282 BR with twin 8.1 Volvo engines. Anyone have this setup on 282 and anything to know about its performance and handling? Lot of power for this boat but it will be used on great lakes solely. Secondly, has anyone put the Samson Blade tower on their 282? Cobalt tech service sent me the technical drawings for the location of their OEM tower and this should go in same place according to factory. TIA for any insights.
Markus, Welcome ! I had a 2002 246 Cobalt and had the Samson Blade tower added. On the 246 the holes for the tower didn't quite match up but just left the original hardware and with the tower nobody noticed but me of course. We loved the quality of the Samson Tower.
2016 R7
Volvo 380
" ONE MORE DAY II"
"Liquid Lounge" on
Table Rock Lake
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:15 pm Hey Markus it is nice to hear a future 282 Cobalt owner is coming.. hopefully your deal goes without a hitch!

Yes I am absolutely in love with mine.!!!!. as you know they are a rare special order in the 282 with twin big blocks, but even more of a unicorn with twin Volvo big blocks!! So fingers crossed..

Handling

At a 9.0 foot beam it's very stable in cross wakes and at higher speeds it's fearless of any incoming wakeboard boats wake as well. Haha.
All the weight in the back had me curious on turning but like it's 262 siblings it digs and holds like a sports car.

Interior.

As stated by our brothers here it's spacious and easy to enter with the walk through ,and the seating will have 6 people in back never touching knees..

Tower..

Just the Bimini as I do like the tower look I also love the 2 min instant shade the ol Bimini gives me. Plus when it's go time I can pop it back and cover it quick.

Those towers you mention look awesome so make sure you start a thread going forward when the time comes!!

Only concern is blade Bimini doesn't go forward far like the oem Cobalt one.. not sure if a Bimini is important to you but it may look off??

Performance!! 😎

I have spooled her up to a best of 67 mph but I'm feeling with some trimming above the porpoise feeling she may go faster.

And in closing twins engines when parking!! You will love it.. put it anywhere you want while never touching the steering.

Weeeew that does it for me guys... I wore out my thumb ... just typing about her makes me happy to have the season around the corner!!

Good luck Markus

Great write up Matt. Now I want one. :mrgreen:
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Welcome from Texas Markus.

Just a note. Although the group seems very helpful and stayed mainly to your topic of conversation, that is usually not the case.

Other then John the admin. I am really the only sane member of this forum.

What a special boat you have coming. It will be great.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:31 pm
cmattj wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:15 pm Hey Markus it is nice to hear a future 282 Cobalt owner is coming.. hopefully your deal goes without a hitch!

Handling

Interior.

Tower..

Performance!! 😎

Good luck Markus

Great write up Matt. Now I want one. :mrgreen:
Alright Matt are you done now :-)

did not know you could do "trips" as posted earlier) ;) I assume you meant BB Volvo's are a rare package and not something that has been problematic for owners

Yes BB is a rare option :-)

Issues with Volvo. None on my boats. Love them.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Welcome! Glad to have you here, can't wait to see pics of that big boat and big blocks Don't mind BBP, the only trips he has are to his local Walmart. He's our resident autocorrect king, Pot the Jus!!
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Ha! No, he's our resident autoINcorrect king! Jeesh, two pages in and nobody has derailed this thread yet? Whatsa deal?
"Black Boats Matter"
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Twin big blocks on a 28 footer.....holy shit! Sign me up. Dont let it fall through!
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)