Cobalt vs Sea Ray

cobalter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Cobalt vs Sea Ray

Post by cobalter »

Interesting comparison I've not seen before and second article is about Cobalt suing Sea Ray. I know I'm paying a little more for the Cobalt reputation but would like to see someone refute the Sea Ray construction claims item for item. A little concerning in some respects as I think I'm owning a better boat in most respects.

http://dare2compare.ca/sea_ray_compared ... ts_p1.html

Patent suit:

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/features/ ... lawsuit-2/
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Cobalt vs Sea Ray

Post by jhnmdahl »

Yeah, I've seen that list pop up a few places recently, such as http://dare2compare.info/ I've also noticed that all the websites displaying such data have disclaimers saying the information regarding Cobalt may not be valid or accurate, which smells a little fishy. I sort of wonder if they dug up an old hacked up or prototype A25 or some such thing.

I know a lot of things on my boat don't much resemble the photos in these pages, and I'm not too concerned after having looked at both a Searay and Cobalt in person. I wonder if part of the goal of having 50+ items is to deflect scrutiny from any particular one of these items?

There's also a thread on the patent suit, but really just waiting for a resolution at this point:

http://www.cobaltchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=42
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
cobalter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by cobalter »

Took delivery and orientation on my 210 Saturday but weather has prevented getting it out to begin break-in and enjoy the boat. I have to say there are many nice details to the Cobalt. It is labeled a 2016 and dealer said one of first 210s off the line. The gauges are slightly different but not sure any significant differences over the 2015 or earlier. Am told the 210 compared to my 226 will be a smoother ride albeit a few mph slower due to hull changes. Will have to see as the 226 was a little longer. In any case I look forward to getting it wet. Only took a brief ride during orientation but it was very complete. While the SeaRay comparison was the bigger boat I'll have to take a closer look. Have not compared a SeaRay up close or on the water.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I have a 210 that was built February-March, so will be good for comparison. My single biggest complaint so far is that there's no good place left to mount a chartplotter on or above the dash, due the window design and plethora of gauges and buttons. First world problems at their finest...
cobalter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by cobalter »

That is for sure. I have a Ram mount that I intend to use off windscreen or other smooth surface to hold my Garmin Montana with Garmin LakeVu. Haven't looked for a location yet but think it will work out. Not as good as chart plotter but will serve my purposes.
'SotaBota
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 'SotaBota »

After having looked at literally HUNDREDS of used Cobalts and Sea Rays in person, model years 1999 - 2014 I honestly feel bad putting them in the same sentence. I only considered 19 - 24 footers, and perhaps Sea Ray is equal to Cobalt in their much larger models, but in the small bowrider category 10+ year old Cobalts simply blew away nearly new Sea Rays time after time. Honestly, Sea Ray was one of first brands to fall off my "list" once search/research commenced. They're certainly good boats, but IMHO, a clear class below in smaller boats. Without question. This is coming from a guy who was extremely reluctant to sign-on with Cobalt as initially feared I would be paying more for the "brand name" vs the true quality of the boat....But seeing hundreds in person and doing months and months of research, talking to dealers, etc. the evidence was irrefutable and I was literally left with no choice.

Honestly, I would put the new Regal bowlders as next man up for the 19 - 24 footers.

SB
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

SB, I think my research mirrors yours. There are other brands (like Bryant) that I'd say are closer to Cobalt in quality than Searay, which seem a little more like Toyotas than BMWs of the boating world. Thanks for sharing your findings,

John
'SotaBota
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 'SotaBota »

John, Agree about the new Bryants. VERY nice interiors and overall quality but they're styling just doesn't do it for me. But agree they're amongst the best few brands for 19 - 25 feet bowlders.

SB

BTW, great site, hopefully this takes off!
bobF7774
Ensign
Ensign

Post by bobF7774 »

Newbe here, Ok just finished a few months long search for what may be a final boat (55 yr old and hoping to hold this boat for 15-20 years) I have a 40' Cruisers, but love my runabouts (trading a Stingray Speed Boat) and selling a Glastron 255 in Florida to consolidate my runabouts. Sea Ray 250 SLX was $25,000 more (best price I could get) them the deal I struck on an R5 (nicely equipped) .. I know they like to compare it to the A25, sorry the R5 is a better comparison, plus the A-25 can also be bought for less then 250 SLX, so the "paying more for a Cobalt" to me isn't even accurate. I shopped the Chaparral 257SX, the Regal 26, Formula 24 (nicely discounted, not a bad dea,l but didn't like the boats layout) and the Sea Ray 250 SLX. Truth be told only the Regal came in a touch lower (negligible) the Chaparral dealer has walked me out on numerous occasions with minimal discounts (guess he thought I wasn't serious, haha 9 boats and 4 jet skis since 1997..... 25',28',30',40' Cruiser types, 2 Yamaha Jet Boats, Baja speed, Sting Ray speed, Glastron BR (actually both this back after trading realizing I would not tow a boat back and forth for NJ to FL after first trip). Bottom line here was I always thought "a Cobalt is too expensive" that's crazy money for the size of the boat relatively speaking, just not true. Shop hard and you will find Cobalt best boat and value per class in the industry, it just isn't even close from my research. On a side note to boating industry putting crazy List Prices and depending on the dealer to discount will eventually seriously hurt the industry, like I said the Chaparral walked me out of their dealer ship on numerous occasions with me just shaking my head on the price of a 25 foot bowrider!!! Happy shopping folks, just buy the Cobalt and negotiate your deal.

BT
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Bob,

I share your thoughts regarding MSRP or minimum advertised pricing. Advertising that a boat that can be bought for $50k is $70k isn't really helping bring people into dealerships, and I think too often sends them looking at the other brands you mentioned (which tend to have realistic pricing at most boat shows, etc.). Add to this that Cobalt themselves will say on their own website that a $72k boat is on "special" for $62k, and people start to wonder. Hopefully this forum serves as a resource to get more people who would otherwise think they weren't in their budget in Cobalts.

John
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Well said Bob. By nature I'm a researcher. I research and then I research some more. When I'm all done and have made my decision I do a little more research... just ask my wife about our last refrigerator purchase.

At any rate I had been looking for a boat for the past decade. I owned (still own) a very cool Century ('86 5 meter Riviera) that is very sleek with a low profile that was great for the lake we have a place on and perfectly suitable for the wife and I. Add two little boys and a growing number of nieces and nephews and we needed space and an open bow.

I have always scoured boattrader and local marinas/dealers for exactly the right boat/price. I narrowed it down to Sea Rays, Chaps, Formulas, Bryants and Cobalts - believing the Cobalt was always going to be just too pricey for the name.

After ridiculous research an early 2000's Cobalt was so superior to even the newer model Sea Rays. I narrowed my search to either stealing a newer Glastron/Ray/Chap from someone who had to sell or finding a clean Cobalt. I can honestly say the 2002 190 I found pristine I'd put up against any newer (2010 +) model of the above.

Every day I look at boats still. 0 regrets about my purchase and there is zero doubt in my mind the next boat will be another Cobalt... May add a Master Craft or Malibu depending on how inclined to watersports the boys get.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

2.69 million is pocket change for Brunswick. I would have expected a larger number.
What would have been a kick in the nuts with a pointy boot would have been a cease and desist, which did not happen.
Well worth the price if I were Sea-Ray. They will appeal it for a few more years and eventually pay up, but meanwhile they will sell a lot more boats with the step.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yea I thought the same thing. Chump change. But now Cobalt will go after all the ones that were sold. It didn't say they have to stop but I bet it does somewhere. John where are you on this?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's absurd. John - chime in!