Perhaps a Cobaltian

liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Perhaps a Cobaltian

Post by liquid »

Ytmsn wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 pm Nicad this is my understanding... As a general rule of thumb.. a big wake usually means an inefficient hull design or the wrong prop. A smaller wake means the boat is at peak performance gliding across the water, and it has a superior hull design.

When a boat is coming out of the hole it pushes a big "hill" of water in front before it planes. The right prop pared with the right power will pull you out, give you decent midrange fairly quickly, and put you up on plane where you can throttle back before it settles in. If you're pulling a skier and it never quite comes onto plane until 35 mph it may need a bigger prop for more power, but your top speed will suffer.

I just sold a 23' Cuddy that would run about 45 with just me. It would holeshot quickly and come right up on plane. But even at plane it would put out a HUGE wake. Put 5 or 6 people in while trying to pull a tube and it never would plane out. I put a SS 16/16 power prop on and it would come right out of the hole and come up on plane, then I'd back out of it down to about 20 or so all while pulling the weight of a freight train. But it would only run about 30 at top speed. The wake on that thing was almost as big as what a wakeboard boat throws. It had a horrible hull design but I didn't know how bad it was until I bought my Cobalt. I thought something was wrong because the wake is so small!

Just a thought
Dead on. I've skied behind that whaler that I e meticulously restored when it had its 35 evinrude on it. Granted I was 60 lbs soaking wet but the the theory holds.

Nicad- beautiful boat. Very clean.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Nicad - you would've loved my century. 85 riviera. 0 wake. Perfect ski boat. Everyone that skied loved it.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Here she is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

That looks like a very smooth running boat Liquid....Nice. I bet she had a sweet soundtrack too. What type of power plant?
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

liquid wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 pm Nicad - you would've loved my century. 85 riviera. 0 wake. Perfect ski boat. Everyone that skied loved it.

Another reason I had mentioned the Sea Doo, Nicad.

My brother and dad were big time slalom skiiers and loved the GTX models for their nonexistent wakes.
...and with two riders riding, the side to side pulling of the hull was minimal believe it or not.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Not much, but she went. Boat only weighed 1000 lbs so you could pull it around but you could whip right through the wake on a slalom ski like mashed potatoes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

Love straight six motors. I've got a couple in some old cars . Most of my cars through the years have had straight six power.
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 am
liquid wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 pm Nicad - you would've loved my century. 85 riviera. 0 wake. Perfect ski boat. Everyone that skied loved it.

Another reason I had mentioned the Sea Doo, Nicad.

My brother and dad were big time slalom skiiers and loved the GTX models for their nonexistent wakes.
...and with two riders riding, the side to side pulling of the hull was minimal believe it or not.
I don't think I have the strength to pull a boat much off course. I love the excellent engineering that has gone into Jet Skis. Only driven one once, but it seemed like the perfect vehicle.