Perhaps a Cobaltian

Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Re: Perhaps a Cobaltian

Post by Traveller14 »

Nicad wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:31 am Traveler 14, Are from the US? I was at my local Marina (Allpoint Marina) and saw them busy storing boats. Gord the owner said these were mostly US residents closing down the cottages. I'm hoping to keep mine in the water till October. Maybe I'll put a 100 watt light bulb in the engine hatch just in case we get some freak weather.
Dropped by Walker's Point a couple of times over the summer. Quite an operation, with so many beautiful boats. Both the Cobalts and the Rossiters caught my eye.
I'm Canadian but work/live in Shanghai 9 months of the year. I store my boat and Seadoo at Allport and dropped both off Monday morning and talked to Gord for a while about.... boats. It was truly a sad day but I need to get back to work so I can afford a new boat(s). I've got 3 slips and only 2 boats so it's a problem. I don't like the Rossiter boats. My friend told me Cobalts were for old men. If that's the case, Rossiters are for their parents.
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Welcome Traveller14! I'm also Canadian and on Lake Muskoka in the East Bay area, close to The Kettles.

Rossiters seem well suited to a down east / Maine kinda setting. Remind me a bit of Limestone 24s from back in the late 80s / early 90s when I was a kid. Not my thing, but I can appreciate the quality.

If you don't mind me asking, what takes you to Shanghai? Have a couple of friends that have relocated there recently. Seems like there is a tonne of opportunity for westerners.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Post by Traveller14 »

ColinC wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:33 pm Welcome Traveller14! I'm also Canadian and on Lake Muskoka in the East Bay area, close to The Kettles.

Rossiters seem well suited to a down east / Maine kinda setting. Remind me a bit of Limestone 24s from back in the late 80s / early 90s when I was a kid. Not my thing, but I can appreciate the quality.

If you don't mind me asking, what takes you to Shanghai? Have a couple of friends that have relocated there recently. Seems like there is a tonne of opportunity for westerners.
The rossiters look retro to me, and slow. Form follows function imo so a fast great riding boat is the most beautiful. Definitely high quality though.

Long story but I've been coming to Asia since 1985 and China regularly since 1997. Eventually I had to move here ten years ago to make the business work well. Basically we export to Europe. Shanghai can wear you down so the summer at the lake is my recharging station now. I would say expats here have mixed results. The corporate guys always do well. Most expat entrepreneurs fail although some great successes in the food and beverage industry.
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

Well, I just picked up the exact opposite to a Rossiter yesterday. A 1992 Mastercraft Barefoot 200 in Teal and White with the interior being Teal, Grey and Pink. It really looks like 80's ski clothes. What a Hot Rod it will be. Amazing soundtrack from the Yamaha two stroke V6. Sounds angry.
Traveler 14,
A best friend spent three years in Shanghai as a school teacher and has since moved on to Japan. He loved Shanghai. HE also returns to the lake every summer (Island on Trout Lake in North Bay) for a recharge. Seems like an interesting mix of contrasts you both live.
Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Post by Traveller14 »

How's the waterskiing in the icy weather?
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Need pics of the MasterCraft - You know the rules.

Traveler - you ever go to a Sharks game?
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

[/quote]

Or a Dolphin game.it's a little more tame :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Post by Traveller14 »

If you mean Shanghai Sharks they are long gone. There is a KHL team in town now. I am boycotting them because they they stole the ice time from my beer league. I do have a Sharks jersey though
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Traveller14 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm If you mean Shanghai Sharks they are long gone. There is a KHL team in town now. I am boycotting them because they they stole the ice time from my beer league. I do have a Sharks jersey though
I am referring to the Shanghai Sharks. I think you've been misinformed. They just signed Jimmer Fredette again and played the Houston Rockets in preseason yesterday.

C'mon traveler, I can't be our only reliable source of Shanghai Sharks news & events on this site.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Post by Traveller14 »

Ahhhh that team. Owned by Yao Ming I believe so I guess that's the Rockets connection. Sorry I'm Canadian and think hockey first. The San Jose Sharks tried to get a farm team going here at one point but it didn't work out but they did play for a season. It's pretty obscure so I wondered why anyone would mention them on a Cobalt Chat. Mind you the basketball team is pretty obscure too but at least they still exist.
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Traveller14 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 pm Ahhhh that team. Owned by Yao Ming I believe so I guess that's the Rockets connection. Sorry I'm Canadian and think hockey first. The San Jose Sharks tried to get a farm team going here at one point but it didn't work out but they did play for a season. It's pretty obscure so I wondered why anyone would mention them on a Cobalt Chat. Mind you the basketball team is pretty obscure too but at least they still exist.
Well I'm a warehouse of useless news and information. I also rant a lot, spoon with other boat lovers and apparently live in a garbage can...

Welcome to the forum!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well I'm a warehouse of useless news and information. I also rant a lot, spoon with other boat lovers and apparently live in a garbage can...

Welcome to the forum!
[/quote]

I don't think we could have described you any better. :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

liquid wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 am Need pics of the MasterCraft - You know the rules.

Well last weekend we planned on waterskiing. I found two wetsuits in the closet that fit me like a stuffed seal in a glove. Went to start the new 92 Barefoot 200 and it was dead. I had left the battery master on and there is a small draw somewhere. So one more round behind the Cobalt. It is not a great ski boat with all that turbulence and mogul sized wake. In the afternoon after sitting on charge the Yamaha outboard fired up. It is a 150 rather than a 200. Carbureted V6. It really sings and I have hit 52 MPH with it with a 180 pound passenger aboard. I am loving this boat for two reasons. It is a sports car, much like a 99' Miata I have in the garage and it is in amazing shape for an old boat. the view ovger the short bow is fantastic. Build quality seems great. My daughter skied behind it in the afternoon, got up on one for the first time and is chomping at the bit for more this weekend. This boat will be in the water till freezeup, which probably gives me two extra months of boating. The interior is just like tacky 80's ski clothes. I kinda like it.
This boat with a trailer cost a whopping $7200 USD. That I love.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

Here's a shot of the main beauty to bring the conversation back to the boats we love. Went swimming in the middle of the lake two days ago. The lake is abandoned mid week. Dead calm. Water getting a touch on the cold side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Man that thing is clean. Nice find.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!