Newbie Cobalt Owner - 2006 220S

Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Newbie Cobalt Owner - 2006 220S

Post by Cobaltordie »

Greetings those of excellent taste in boats,

I bought a low hour (139) 2006 Cobalt 220 a couple of months ago. She had a few minor issues but with some concerted effort and lots of elbow grease she looks and runs great. I also rebuilt much of the aluminum trailer. It is a Tidewater. It now has new tandem axles, winch, custom bunks, and new coupler assembly with new Folsom winch and lifting crank wheel assembly. I also replaced the bow roller and added stern boat buckles for tie-downs. Also put one up front which I use to snug down the bow eye. Of course new cast aluminum painted wheels to add to the bling. I removed the garish Tidewater logos, polished the entire trailer and installed all new LED lights and coupler. A pretty boat on an unsafe trailer is a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't want to sound like an advertisement for Starbrite marine cleaning products, but dang those products work and work well. I buffed out the paint with cleaner wax then followed it up with polishing wax. It has PTFE in it and all I can say it is voodoo because even super hard dock rashes rub off with a wet finger in most cases. A damp cotton towel will remove anything stubborn. Amazing stuff. I was so impressed by the waxes I also bought the vinyl cleaner, which worked great too. I used the vinyl protector as well. All of these products have UV protection in them, which is super necessary here in the Valley of the Sun and our high temperatures. Starbrite also makes a great deck cleaner which worked wonders on the textured swim step and the walk over on the engine hatch. I have owned two large ocean going boats in the past, so I am familiar with many marine cleaning products. Not sure why I didn't previously try Starbrite products, but I am a customer for life now.

Seems I am the third or fourth owner of this boat. The first was on the east coast, Virginia I think, where it probably saw some salt water use - hence the aluminum trailer. I bought the boat from a guy in San Diego who also had a larger ocean capable fishing boat. He decided hauling the Cobalt to the bay was more work than just stepping on to your boar moored in a slip. Anyway, I am well impressed with the quality of this boat. I have crawled all over it more than a few times and even in places where most never look, I found good quality connectors, and well finished fiberglass. Even the cleats are back plated and through bolted. Impressive.

My boat has the Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi engine. What a stonking beast that is. Seems like too mush scoot for a 22ft boat, but I'm not complaining. The boat handles very well and the deep V hull makes for a nice dry ride.

I only have one irritating problem - the damn fuel cap is a fidgety thing. I put the two pin key in, turn it counter clockwise until it releases tension and "should" pop up to unscrew it to remove it, but.... it won't release. It rattles a little, I can get it to turn a tiny bit left or right but it just won't pop up. Aggravating. I was headed to the lake this morning but when I got to the gas station to fill up the tow rig and boat, I couldn't get the fuel cap off. I spent 30 mins fidgeting with it. Two guys came over who said they have boats with similar fill caps. They couldn't get it to release. Ugh. I post this in an appropriate thread but thought I'd share a lot of what is great about the boat and a little about what is not :)

My name is Dan. I will create a signature file soon.

See you on the water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My name is Dan
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.... but at least I'm a tool
2006 Cobalt 220S Vulva Pentup 8.1Gi
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Newbie Cobalt Owner - 2006 220S

Post by Bfun220 »

Dan, welcome from Wisconsin.
Not sure what that boat and trailer looked like before, but it sure looks nice now.
2018 r5
2003 220
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Welcome Dan. Great looking boat and the trailer looks brand new!
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Looks pretty sweet, and a perfect size for towing around. Keep us posted on your gas cap issue!

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Really nice rig and welcome to the gang! I can relate to "bringing her back to life". Glad you are now a Cobalt owner and glad you joined us here. Be sure to stick around, there are some good folks here willing to share.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Welcome Dan,

You did a really beautiful job on the boat and trailer. I have the 8.1 Gi in my also and I have to agree. It has a lot more power than I wish to use most of the time. Scary fast even on the 24', must really fly on the 22'.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Welcome from Toronto, Canada and nice rig -- boat and trailer!

Some quick questions on the trailer. What did you use to polish it? Did you add the spare holder or did it come with? I'm looking to make some upgrades to my trailer and top of the list is a spare and spare holder.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from the frozen Tundra :-) you did a great job on her.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cobaltordie »

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. Good to learn Cobalt owners are also friendly and helpful.

ColinC, I'll take some pics on the spare holder. It was originally mounted horizontally on the starboard rail of the trailer. A dumb location. I've also added a home welded ladder to help me get up on the bow when I am launching the boat myself. Just so you know I was in Oakville a couple of weeks ago attending a godson's high school graduation. I saw a couple of Cobalts in the water and on trailers in the marina. What a mess it was/is from all the high water this year. I get to Oakville at least a couple of times a year.

Regarding the cleaning of the trailer. I used Starbrite pontoon and aluminum cleaner. It took about four hours to do the whole thing. I had the boat in the water during that time. The boat was not in terrible condition when I bought it, but it was faded and oxidized and the vinyl and bilge were dirty. I plan on starting a thread as to how I cleaned her up and got her ready for the water again, as well as, the modifications I made to the trailer. I used nothing but various Starbrite products to clean, wax and condition the boat. I recently discovered this manufacturer and all I can say is the stuff works as advertised, and in some cases better. I've owned two ocean going boats over the years. Both were in the water in slips their entire lives. I have used many, many, many, different products over the years and some them have been good. But I must say this Starbrite stuff works as well in some cases and better in most. So a good reason I'll stick with them.

I started a thread in the General section on the fuel cap issue. Looks like it's gotta come out. Getting good advice and info from Big Block. Super helpful.
http://www.cobaltchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=465
My name is Dan
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Dan - Welcome from South AL!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cobaltordie »

Southernboatman wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:11 am Dan - Welcome from South AL!

Thank you southernboatman. I mentioned in another thread, that many years ago I worked for a company based in Huntsville AL, and when in town over the weekend I headed straight for Gulf Shores. Some great beaches and local boating. You are in a paradise for most of the year.
My name is Dan
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Yeah it's tough but someone has to do it! Ever head this way again get in touch!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Cobaltordie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cobaltordie »

Southernboatman wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:53 pm Yeah it's tough but someone has to do it! Ever head this way again get in touch!
Will do! Same for you should your travels ever get you close to AZ. Lot's of great and some magnificent places to boat. Happy to show you around.
My name is Dan
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Welcome Dan! Beautiful boat and Damn nice work on that trailer. Love those cheater tubes btw :D

I have used a TON of Starbrite products over the years. I used the Blueberry soap yesterday as a matter of fact. For years I used the hull cleaner, until I finally figured out what it was and realized it's in several other products.

Definitely would like to see your waxing/polishing thread. I only do what I know works so I'm always curious as to other's process.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I love the 220 model that you have Dan. Mainly because of the center walkthru. Easy and you lose no seating with the filler cushions. Sure wish Cobalt would go back to producing center walk thrus vs side in their production line. I think on some future models it may be an option.

Love big block power too...grunt grunt :-)))

Hope you get that fuel filler fixed. Never heard of that issue. I'm still using the screw on type.

Btw, your signature is AWESOME!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)