Hellooooo Cobalt peeps....anyone with a 262 or 263?

AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hellooooo Cobalt peeps....anyone with a 262 or 263?

Post by AsLan7 »

Just wanted to introduce our Cobalt family. On our 4th boat now. 1st was a 1995 Donzi sweet 16...2nd was a '94 Fountain 24CS...3rd was a Cobalt 262....and now 4th is a 2005 Cobalt 263. Cobalt by far is our family's fave.

So glad we found you all!

We love boating in Presque Isle bay on Lake Erie as well as Canada 26 miles across.

Here is a pic of the 263 we just purchased in Vegas. Marina is adding a few items (Captain's call, Trim tabs, underwater light, and flag pole) and then we are shipping to PA. If anyone knows of a good shipping company, plz let us know.

We are also wanting to purchase the AFT filler cushions to complete the seating in the cockpit. If anyone has these two items for sale, please contact our family.

Great Site!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Hellooooo Cobalt peeps....anyone with a 262 or 263?

Post by ajcampen »

Great looking boat and welcome. You'll get a lot of use out of that beauty. Funny how u have to go far to find what u want. I had to drive 10hrs to VA
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

ajcampen wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:58 am Great looking boat and welcome. You'll get a lot of use out of that beauty. Funny how u have to go far to find what u want. I had to drive 10hrs to VA
...aint that the truth Aj--and thank you my Cobalt friend. Sounds like you have the same passion. Hauled my 262 up from Arkansas when we purchased her in 2010.

Been looking for 3 years after we sold our 262 in 2014. Took 4 boats to know exactly what we want. Looking forward to getting out on this 263 a few times before the season is over. Next year will be our boating summer.

A pic of her waiting for us in Vegas:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome to the gang and nice looking boat!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Good looking boat. Welcome
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I've shipped many boats from Colorado, Texas, Kansas and this one came from Wichita. I use u ship and had great luck with him. I gave Colin a good tip from a guy in Texas but I don't think he's by Vegas.
Love the boat. I had a Donzi Z20. Loved that one. One of my favs. Next big jump will be a Z28 or ZXO28.
Oh did you get the factory flag? We got there contact on here somewhere or I have it too. May save you some money? I like mine mounted to the tower. Works great. I bought the base just in case I need it for my next boat. Again welcome from Wisconsin :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:16 pm I've shipped many boats from Colorado, Texas, Kansas and this one came from Wichita. I use u ship and had great luck with him. I gave Colin a good tip from a guy in Texas but I don't think he's by Vegas.
Love the boat. I had a Donzi Z20. Loved that one. One of my favs. Next big jump will be a Z28 or ZXO28.
Oh did you get the factory flag? We got there contact on here somewhere or I have it too. May save you some money? I like mine mounted to the tower. Works great. I bought the base just in case I need it for my next boat. Again welcome from Wisconsin :-)
Man big block. You're a man after my own heart. We almost purchased the 28ZXO with twin scorpion engines. Another great boat. Big Don Aronow fans as that's what I grew up on with my dad (Donzi). Our 24 CS Fountain had a 502 merc EFI and would hit 80 on GPS with our chopper prop. I would think your 22 would be in the high 60's to low 70's with that 8.1.

Yes--dealer is working on obtaining factory flag, pole, and mount. Also read the post here regarding possibility to purchase. If my Cobalt dealer (Gerry's Marine) has an issue, I'll try the option here on the forum.

U SHIP is also what we are thinking of using. Glad to hear of your good experience.

Again, love reading all your posts. Great to see such an active Cobalt site.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

No cobalt 220 is not a fast hull. I was hoping for mid 60's. She hits a wall at 57. But it gets there real quick. I might throw on a Set of f7 props to see what those will do. I don't think the hole shot will go down much. This engine has plenty of grunt to get her going. I think I'll get her to 60 with the props I have now. Only a few 220's get going much over that. This hull just doesn't like speed. It just rides super nice. The 5.7 will run 54 all day long. My last 8.1 was tough to get over 55. If I find a zxo I might jump ship.

Did you take the family to Vegas for a boat trip?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 pm No cobalt 220 is not a fast hull. I was hoping for mid 60's. She hits a wall at 57. But it gets there real quick. I might throw on a Set of f7 props to see what those will do. I don't think the hole shot will go down much. This engine has plenty of grunt to get her going. I think I'll get her to 60 with the props I have now. Only a few 220's get going much over that. This hull just doesn't like speed. It just rides super nice. The 5.7 will run 54 all day long. My last 8.1 was tough to get over 55. If I find a zxo I might jump ship.

Did you take the family to Vegas for a boat trip?

That's interesting as our 262 ran mid 50's with the 8.1 GI. It had the extended running surface and hole shot was amazing with the dual counter rotating prop set up. A great workhorse on the water.

I'm surprised you would jump to the 28 ZXO. Again it is a great boat but the reason we held off was because of the water sports. The 28ZXO is almost too big to manage--both on a trailer or in the water with all the water sport activities. Don't get me wrong, I'm a speed freak and love that aspect of it...and love Donzi's. But after a few times racing folks, I found so much more enjoyment with the towing possibilities. The 262/263's are perfect because you have all the space to store EVERYTHING--8 different tubes; 2 wakeboards; knee boards; water skis; ropes and anything else on which we want to play that day. The deep Vee handles the water of the lakes you and I run. The hole shot is fantastic with the duo prop outdrive.
And since it is yacht certified, we will put 15 persons on it! No joke.

I may have gone for a newer model Cobalt but we LOVE the center walk thru which means (like you) we lose NO seating with the filler cushions. Unfortunately, I just have to find those again. (or offer the guy I sold my 262 to on Lake Erie enough money to purchase his). I'm not a fan of the aft side entry Cobalt's. Sure wish they would not have changed from the center walk thru.

Anyhow, keep your pics comin'. Gets my adrenaline goin.
....and yes, we all flew to Vegas to see the Cobalt. Then we did the Clark Griswold Grand Canyon tour followed by the Rocky Mountains. Yeee haw!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Very cool. Yes water sports is one of the reasons we have the 220. The zxo is a future boat. Yea you would think it would run faster but nope. Yep the bigger cobalt run the same speed. A bit disappointing. Oh well. They won't beat me out of the hole though she's a rocket.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:19 am Very cool. Yes water sports is one of the reasons we have the 220. The zxo is a future boat. Yea you would think it would run faster but nope. Yep the bigger cobalt run the same speed. A bit disappointing. Oh well. They won't beat me out of the hole though she's a rocket.
Still, mid 50's is fast on the water big block. You have nothing to sneeze at. Plus, sounds like your props are all about hole shot vs top end with your rpm statement.

Im about 4 seconds out of the hole which is fast enough for most boats--let alone a 26 footer (28' with extended platform). I would think you are at 3 seconds! Yee haw!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Awesome boat, pics and family.

Funny thing about finding boats when you know exactly what you want. I searched all over the country for the boat I wanted. Checked boat trader daily for years etc... Asked my local cobalt dealer on my lake to keep an eye out for a clean one for me and he had taken in my boat the day before. Absolutely stupid luck.

Welcome.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

liquid wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 am Awesome boat, pics and family.

Funny thing about finding boats when you know exactly what you want. I searched all over the country for the boat I wanted. Checked boat trader daily for years etc... Asked my local cobalt dealer on my lake to keep an eye out for a clean one for me and he had taken in my boat the day before. Absolutely stupid luck.

Welcome.
Thanks Liquid.

...and you and I were on the same journey, Liquid. I even had 2 boat reps looking for me for 3 years. My only request--a loaded 263 with arch; 425Merc or 420Volvo;..again loaded. The one in Vegas was 90% there. Thus, dealer adding the Captain's call, trim tabs, and flag pole. I'll work on the filler cushions quest.

What really attracted me to this particular one is it has the rare Cockpit heat options which can really come in handy in May and October Lake Erie boating!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's awesome. I always wonder what it would be like to have a heater on those October/May trips when I can't convince anyone to go with me.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

liquid wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:59 am That's awesome. I always wonder what it would be like to have a heater on those October/May trips when I can't convince anyone to go with me.
Yes...and who would have thought the Las Vegas original owner who purchased originally at Gerry's marine in Las Vegas (the dealer who knows the boat history and doing our add on's) would have that rare cockpit heat option.

In fact they can't sell Cuddys in Nevada because they are like ovens in the summer time!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)