Prospective Owner

MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Prospective Owner

Post by MAP53 »

I am in the process of buying my first Cobalt. I have in the past owned 3 different new Bryants since 2010. I loved the Bryant until the company was sold, everything went downhill from there. I swore as long as Mr. Dorton is involved with Bryant I would not be.

I am looking at a one owner 2007 Cobalt 212 as my next boat. The original owner is the seller. The boat is powered by a Volvo 5.7 with the Dual prop drive. I have never had any experience with the Volvo but aside from less places to get it serviced I don't anticipate any problems.
The 212 has about 350 hrs on it and has been very well cared for. It seems to be built well and is obviously a high quality unit.

The only issue I can find on the boat are some cracks in the gelcoat in the rear of the boat where the walk through step is. There is no evideence of any damage that would cause these cracks. They are on the rt. rear corner about where your rt. foot would be as you stepped from the swin platform going forward.

The owners were told by a tech. at the local Cobalt dealer to not worry about the cracks that they were a cosmetic issue only. I am wondering if anyone has any advice about this.

Thanks
Mark Potter
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by Big Block Power »

Well good luck Mark. Welcome I hope to the Cobalt club. Yes more than likely just cosmetic. Maybe it just flexes a bit there. Where are you from? The Volvo is great. Advantages and disadvantages with Volvo depending on where you get service. But really they are pretty bullet proof. I wouldn't run from them. I've had about 5 of them. I own one well two now in Merc. Country.
I also know of a great 2007 222 for sale. Same power plant. It's really a 1 owner boat as well. Pictures?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Welcome to the site! Where are you located?
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I have nearly the same boat (2014 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo and duo prop) and expect I'll have it for a very long time. I'd jump on it if it's otherwise sound. Cracks in the gelcoat are not horribly uncommon, despite the unusually thick/robust construction of the boat. I'd look closely at the same spot from the underside (in the engine compartment) to be sure, but not sweat it.

Good luck negotiating and closing the deal!

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Welcome from California..
Yes.. we are your future support system so don't be afraid!!
But.... we are always in need of prospective purchase photos so trust me when I say. Pics.. links.. ect so we can guide you..
Your on the right track with your selection so have fun!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome from Ooooak lahoma! You have found a great group of folks that are willing to jump in with you.

I sold a 28 year old boat last summer that I owned and used every summer, every weekend for 10 years, and it had stress cracks on the swimdeck too. They were there when I bought it and I watched them closely, but after many hours of use they looked the same over all that time.

I have a 5.7 GXI in a 240 (for sale) and it's a great motor. Which 5.7 is this one? The letters at the end will tell you what horse power it is. I'm sure you already know but it's just a 350 GM motor with a Volvo marine package on the outside. One of the main issues with that motor is the high speed fuel pump whining. (It has a double pump). If the system has ever had ethanol it can clog the fuel screen and cause the high speed pump to cavitate and get hot, eventually failing. Those pumps are pricey but easy to get. I ordered my OEM unit from Ebay and saved a little. But most never have a problem.

Ask the owners if they have ever filled with Ethanol, or if they did, have they used an ethanol treatment? If you do a water trail, listen for a whine from the front of the motor at idle and when throttled up.

Also ask about the service intervals and how often the impeller has been changed? It should have been swapped at least 3 times for that year and those hours.

Volvos seem to shift a bit smoother too. And the Volvo outdrive doesn't seem to run as hot as a Merc outdrive, although it'll get hot too with extended long runs.

Good luck with your purchase and be sure to let us know! If you get'er bought come back and spend some time here, and send PICTURES!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Welcome from a fellow KY cobalt owner! Where do you boat?

What size were the Bryants you owned? Didn't know if this 212 was similar to what you have had in the past. My brother had a 2000 214 and it was awesome, but you are right they aren't the same boats anymore.

BigBlock's 222 he has for sale would be a good one and YTMSN has a awesome 240...you know we are all OCD about our boats here so you know they are both well loved and in tiptop shape.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Ytsmn makes a lot of good points. If the impeller's never been changed it's not a disaster (assuming it's still in one piece), just time to do it before using the boat again.

You might consider buying the boat contingent on an inspection/survey, or ask to take the boat to be looked at before closing the deal if there isn't a reputable shop that's looked at it recently and will vouch for its condition.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MAP53 »

thunder550 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:28 pm Welcome to the site! Where are you located?
I'm in KY, about 20 miles south of Louisville.
MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MAP53 »

Ytmsn wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:54 am Welcome from Ooooak lahoma! You have found a great group of folks that are willing to jump in with you.

I sold a 28 year old boat last summer that I owned and used every summer, every weekend for 10 years, and it had stress cracks on the swimdeck too. They were there when I bought it and I watched them closely, but after many hours of use they looked the same over all that time.

I have a 5.7 GXI in a 240 (for sale) and it's a great motor. Which 5.7 is this one? The letters at the end will tell you what horse power it is. I'm sure you already know but it's just a 350 GM motor with a Volvo marine package on the outside. One of the main issues with that motor is the high speed fuel pump whining. (It has a double pump). If the system has ever had ethanol it can clog the fuel screen and cause the high speed pump to cavitate and get hot, eventually failing. Those pumps are pricey but easy to get. I ordered my OEM unit from Ebay and saved a little. But most never have a problem.

Ask the owners if they have ever filled with Ethanol, or if they did, have they used an ethanol treatment? If you do a water trail, listen for a whine from the front of the motor at idle and when throttled up.

Also ask about the service intervals and how often the impeller has been changed? It should have been swapped at least 3 times for that year and those hours.

Volvos seem to shift a bit smoother too. And the Volvo outdrive doesn't seem to run as hot as a Merc outdrive, although it'll get hot too with extended long runs.

Good luck with your purchase and be sure to let us know! If you get'er bought come back and spend some time here, and send PICTURES!
It's a GXI. I talked to the mechanic who has done the service for about the last 5 years. He couldn't recall specifics but said the people who own the boat always get the service done as recommended. I probably will have everything gone through and if I can't verify something I will have it done and start from now. I used to be a aircraft mechanic by trade and we are very big on records. If you can't verify then do it again.
MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MAP53 »

NautiGirl wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 am Welcome from a fellow KY cobalt owner! Where do you boat?

What size were the Bryants you owned? Didn't know if this 212 was similar to what you have had in the past. My brother had a 2000 214 and it was awesome, but you are right they aren't the same boats anymore.

BigBlock's 222 he has for sale would be a good one and YTMSN has a awesome 240...you know we are all OCD about our boats here so you know they are both well loved and in tiptop shape.
My first Bryant was a new 20010 246, 350 MAG Bravo III, it was a bit large to get in and out of my space at home, we ordered a new 210W in 2013, it was ok except it had a 4.3MPI with a Alpha drive. I was spoiled and hated the Alpha, the last one was a 2014 233X, 350 MAG, Bravo III. It was just right, only problem is I owed on it and didn't want a payment when I retired so I sold it.

So I have always heard about Cobalt build quality, so here we are.
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Big blocks 222 would be perfect and he will deliver!

But yes, you can't beat a Cobalt! The boat sounds like a good one if it's in good condition and the price is right for you. You will love the ride!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MAP53 »

20171227_103335.jpg
20171227_103348.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yea you won't find boats with records like a automobile or airplanes. I've had two one owner boats and neither of them had the records. Lots of the time you can tell if the dealership/marina did the winterize that the oil and filter and sometimes the impeller gets changed yearly by them. The Volvo impeller is a half hour job super easy to perform. Plus you can tell if it's been changed sometimes when the housing is a different color. The 5.7 gi or gxi are great engines. I've had the gxi and gi in a 220 and they are within a mph of each other in that boat. I need to bring a case of spotted cow to Nauti so yes I'll ship my boat if you want to jump up too a 222. That 212 looks nice though. You and bfun will get along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Man that's a pretty boat Map! I have never had a yellow boat but always admired them.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!