Opinions on 2004 240

(190 through 360)
Kjkraft84
Ensign
Ensign

Opinions on 2004 240

Post by Kjkraft84 »

I’m looking at a potential purchase on a 2004 240 with the 6.2 and bravo 3. Wondering if any current or former owners of this style boat could give me any pointers on ownership or potential problems to look for. Boat will be used primarily on local lakes as a family boat. Will be trailered all the time when not in the water. I’ve done a decent bit of research that seems to suggest the bravo 3 is a good outdrive and the 6.2 is basically just a slightly stroked Chevy 350 and also quite reliable. Boat has 400 hours on it and looks to be in good enough shape that I may justify the five hour drive to go see it. Hanks for any information you guys could provide.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Opinions on 2004 240

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey kjkraft84. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!!!

Great Boat you got there my friend. Would love to see a few pictures if you get a chance.

We definitely have some 240 owners who will chime in. With that V8 and a bravo three outdrive, she will get up out of the hole quickly.

Where do you Boat???

Again,welcome aboard!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Kjkraft84
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kjkraft84 »

Aslan, thanks for the reply. Overall I’d say I’m pretty interested if I can work the price right with the dealer. That’s another thing I’d like someone’s opinion on, is what kind of value do these boats hold? Dealer is asking a bit much in my opinion, so I’ll have to see if there’s some room there. We boat in SE Wisconsin, in the summer months of course...

Pictures included on this listing:

https://madison.craigslist.org/bod/d/20 ... 28318.html
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Kjkraft84 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:32 pm Aslan, thanks for the reply. Overall I’d say I’m pretty interested if I can work the price right with the dealer. That’s another thing I’d like someone’s opinion on, is what kind of value do these boats hold? Dealer is asking a bit much in my opinion, so I’ll have to see if there’s some room there. We boat in SE Wisconsin, in the summer months of course...
Fantastic!

....we have a few "cheese-heads" :D on the site. BigBlockPower work's with Gordy's Marine up there. He will chime in shortly.

Cobalt's hold their value extremely well....better than any runabout on the market. With that being said, you probably have some wiggle room to work with the dealer. They want to move boats--especially in the November & December time frame before the boat shows begin next year.

I see you posted a link.

I've seen that boat before. 400 hours is about right for a 2004. Usually heavier use is 50 hours or more a year. She's on the light side of the hours. Vinyl and dash look to be in great shape. Dual batteries is a definite plus.

Price seems too high for not having a wake tower, tabs, CC, upgraded stereo...etc.

There are a few used boats available here as well. Owner's are meticulous with them.
Other's opinions will follow.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

It has the newer style dash, which is nice. I’ve seen that one advertised for a while, though - might be able to get it in the high 20s if you check it out and make an offer? Stereo is an easy upgrade, while wake tower is a bit pricier. Plan to spend a few bucks customizing it for your intended use after purchase, and make sure a good mechanic checks out the boat and trailer.

Good luck!

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

This boat has been around since early October. Looks like an after market swim platform but other than that not a bad looking boat. Should be able to get this in the high 20's like John said. If I was looking I like this one better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 r5
2003 220
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Forgot -
Welcome, Looking forward to another cheesehead.
2018 r5
2003 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from up north. What everyone has said is dead on. That boat has been listed for awhile. I would check into the one bfun sent you. Those prices are dead on for the market. What dealer is it at. I have found out that the dealers have them marked up quite a bit. I would say $2k. right now this is your market. But you wait a month it becomes their market. That engine and drive package is a great package. No worries on the hours it's just getting broken in. Yes a Cobalt is like a Harley or Ski Doo :o when it comes to holding its value.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Hit up YTMSN on here... He's got his awesome 240 for sale... It has an awesome seadek covered swim platform. The boat has been given lots of love, worth checking out!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome Kj and thanks Nautie! Dont let the price of mine scare you off, I'll work with a serious buyer. It's an '03 with a new motor and interior and lots of extras. Ill shoot you a pm
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Kjkraft84
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kjkraft84 »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:06 pm What dealer is it at.
River Valley Power and Sport our of Wayzata, MN. I just happened to find it on a craigslist search.
Kjkraft84
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kjkraft84 »

NautiGirl wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:27 pm Hit up YTMSN on here... He's got his awesome 240 for sale... It has an awesome seadek covered swim platform. The boat has been given lots of love, worth checking out!
Wow, found his build thread on that boat. What a nice setup
Kjkraft84
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kjkraft84 »

Thank you all for the opinions and information. I’m new to looking at Cobalt boats myself but definitely familiar with seeing them on the water. One thing that’s definitely already impressed me is the customer service from one of the dealers local to where that boat is. I sent the local cobalt dealer an email with the hull ID number and asked if they had any info on it. I got a response saying they checked the records and found no recalls or warranty work performed and they also sent me the original build sheet on the boat with the options installed. Pretty quick response too.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Kjkraft84 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 am
Big Block Power wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:06 pm What dealer is it at.
River Valley Power and Sport our of Wayzata, MN. I just happened to find it on a craigslist search.
I thought so. I boat ones of my last boats from them.lol I worked them over.lol I said this is what I'll pay or I'll walk and they sold it. They didn't want to sit on it. I'll go with you.lol ok maybe not they don't like me after that. We agreed on a price before I arrived and I got it another $2000 under that.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I sent the local cobalt dealer an email with the hull ID number and asked if they had any info on it. I got a response saying they checked the records and found no recalls or warranty work performed and they also sent me the original build sheet on the boat with the options installed. Pretty quick response too.

Which boat...Ytmsn's or the one with the link you listed?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)