New Member & My CM23

(190 through 360)
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Re: New Member & My CM23

Post by nolaboater99 »

Apparently I can only load 3 pics per post. Sorry....

The instrument panel and the that lower switch panel are both 1/8" aluminum plate that was originally anodized black. Over the years it had faded and the lower portion of the upper panel had many holes in it. Rather than try and fabricate something new I painted the aluminum a black hammer finish and covered the Swiss cheese part with 3/32" ABS plastic with a wrinkle finish. I then added the stripes and the logo. I was going to go with a set of gauges that were identical to the original but I stumbled upon a set of NOS Faria gauges including a matching depth gauge. Lastly, I like clean, uncluttered panels and so I flush-mounted a 5" SIMRAD GO5 GPS/Chartplotter. This thing is pretty cool. It has full touch screen technology, Wi-Fi capability for downloading charts, built-in GPS antenna, accepts C-Map, Navionics and other formats and the installation was a breeze....just 3 wires.
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG
So at this point I have ordered vinyl for the new interior, will be installing carpet this weekend and continuing to refinish teak....there is lots of teak in these old babies. My birthday is April 14th and I plan to be on the water that day.

That brings you up to date and I will post more as I progress.

Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1985 Cobalt CM23
383 Stroker GM Small Block
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Welcome from Texas NOLA. Great photos of a great boat and restoration.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice work NB99 --and nice choice of materials for that professional look.
And that edge striping really sets it apart too.

The SIMRAD is a great addition. It's really like a Cobalt resto-mod....making it better than the original!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Can't wait to see you finish putting her back together :) Am I remembering correctly that you're going with a more modern design with the new vinyl?

I felt like I was cheating too when I first came over here, you guys were awesome about talking me through the purchase process. Nothing wrong with being on multiple forums though, so don't sweat it.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I felt like I was cheating too when I first came over here, you guys were awesome about talking me through the purchase process. Nothing wrong with being on multiple forums though, so don't sweat it.

Dual hatted, T550.... I like it! :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

A resto-mod is exactly what I think it is.

Thunder that is what is planned. I ordered my vinyl from Sailrite and one color was back-ordered. It will all ship next Tuesday. I have a Sailrite sewing machine and my wife and I did a lot of the new upholstery in our last boat. It was a 52' Cockpit Motor Yacht, but we wanted a pro to do the seats for the Cobalt. We will be doing the Cuddy cabin cushions and the carpet. The seamstress is just making the skins and I will put them back over the foam.

I've been working on this so long that I'm not sure I'll know what to do with myself when it's done. Oh....my wife just reminded I have a new kitchen and 3 bathrooms to do this year, plus paint the pool house, paint the guest room, new tile in the entry....
1985 Cobalt CM23
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I'm diggin your project. I have a boat restoration project of my own going on so I can relate every time I see something like this. I wonder why the CM model never took off with Cobalt?

And I'm glad you came over here with all the "cool kids!"
There's some good folks here
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Wonderful write up Shawn. That is a special Boat with a wonderful lay out for social sitting at anchor. It has a 343 layout in the back.. See Cobalt kept some theme!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

nolaboater99 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:04 pm I've been working on this so long that I'm not sure I'll know what to do with myself when it's done. Oh....my wife just reminded I have a new kitchen and 3 bathrooms to do this year, plus paint the pool house, paint the guest room, new tile in the entry....
Oh, that's all? :lol: :lol:
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

Since my last post I have been working on tidying up little things as I move forward. Tuesday I am taking the boat to a local shop to have the upper deck wet sanded, polished and waxed. when it comes back I can begin installing all the new LED running lights, the teak walk-arounds and the deck hardware. I found another picture of it taken 3 years ago from a different angle.
IMAG0055.jpg
I mentioned that I rewired the boat using some of the original harness but I made a mistake using some of the old connectors so I have been going back and cutting them out and installing all new using either heat-shrink connectors or heat-shrink tubing. I should have done it right the first time but I was reminded of my favorite saying...."Never time, and money, to do it right but always time, and money, to do it over."

I'm getting to the point where I am getting ready to put the fuel tank back in. The tank sits here across the stern
DSC_0094.JPG
That picture was taken 2 years ago when I was taking stuff out. When I took the tank out I discovered a bit of corrosion in several places on the bottom. I had some repair work done and then had the aluminum tank partially coated in a baked-on material kind of like truck bed liner which is supposed to eliminate future corrosion issues. Once the tank is in, the access to the rear drive shaft u-joints, lower transom plate, Exhaust connections and the aft-most bilge pump and switch are inaccessible so I am really taking extra time and caution here so everything is ready. During all of this I discovered the aft bilge pump float switch died. I don't like float switches and tomorrow I will be installing a Water Witch pump switch.
101series.jpg
These switches work using the conductivity of water between two contacts. I installed 4 of these in my last boat, a 52' Cockpit Motor Yacht. That type of switch technology has been around for many years and I never had an issue with one in my boats. And since I will have restricted access to the switch once the fuel tank is in this is the best route to go.

Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1985 Cobalt CM23
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

cmattj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:04 am Wonderful write up Shawn. That is a special Boat with a wonderful lay out for social sitting at anchor. It has a 343 layout in the back.. See Cobalt kept some theme!
Thanks Matt. I always loved the layout of this boat. People ask what type of boat it is and my answer has been the same for 30 years.... It's a Cocktail Cruiser. It's made for going to lunch or dinner or just out cruising looking at the sights. It has a built-in wet bar that will be going back in shortly. When the boat was in Long Beach it made the 26 mile trip to Catalina easily some 400 times.

I wanted to mention that my wife and I moved here to the New Orleans area 18 months ago. Prior to that we were 10 years in Elk Grove, CA. We owned 3 different boats while there, not counting the Cobalt. We had a 26' 4Winns, a 1989 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer and a Taiwanese 52' Cockpit Motor Yacht (CPMY). We did most of our boating in the Delta with at least one trip a year to SF Bay. The last 12 months we were there I was a manager for a commercial uniform rental company down near the Stockton airport and my wife was the GM of a company in Stockton. We kept our boats at Oxbow Marina in Isleton and for a while we were members of Stockton Yacht Club as well as Marina West Yacht Club when it was in Tower Park. My son still lives in Roseville and is a 19-year veteran of the Sac County Sheriff's Dept.

Lots of great memories cruising around the Delta and coming down to the annual Asperagus Festival by boat. Seems like we should have run into each other....
Shawn
1985 Cobalt CM23
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

nolaboater99 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:54 pm
cmattj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:04 am Wonderful write up Shawn. That is a special Boat with a wonderful lay out for social sitting at anchor. It has a 343 layout in the back.. See Cobalt kept some theme!
Thanks Matt. I always loved the layout of this boat. People ask what type of boat it is and my answer has been the same for 30 years.... It's a Cocktail Cruiser. It's made for going to lunch or dinner or just out cruising looking at the sights. It has a built-in wet bar that will be going back in shortly. When the boat was in Long Beach it made the 26 mile trip to Catalina easily some 400 times.

I wanted to mention that my wife and I moved here to the New Orleans area 18 months ago. Prior to that we were 10 years in Elk Grove, CA.

Lots of great memories cruising around the Delta and coming down to the annual Asperagus Festival by boat. Seems like we should have run into each other....
Shawn
Small world Shawn...and nice to hear your families history and new ventures.

As I'm sure we have shared a dock at the downtown waterfront.. or Garlic Brothers.

I remember years ago going to tower park with our 230 sea ray and it was a Huuuuughe Sea ray Yacht run.... remember Rosas inside parking current??
10 people ran out to tie our little boat off and invite us in.. fun people.. they party well!! That's was you probably!!😎

My career will keep my here awhile longer and my eastern roots may put me in Georgia or Texas someday!. On one of their Great Lakes with the Delta amenities of course!!

I envy your uprooting ability and look forward to hearing more about your journey and the progress on your Cobalt.

I'll give you Delta reports.. the good ... the bad and the unusual!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

People ask what type of boat it is and my answer has been the same for 30 years.... It's a Cocktail Cruiser.
Love it! 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

Excellent work,Shawn. Restoring classic's is a lot of work but well worth the effort when they are done and they always turn heads when they are out and about.
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

I have been disappointed with my progress the past couple of weeks. I have out-of-state guests coming this week and the winter weather beat the crap out of my yard so I had to take some time and get it back in shape.

However, while I was doing the dreaded yard work I took the boat to a local detailer to have the beige top deck refinished. I had planned to do this myself but just ran out of time. The detailer specializes in boats and gelcoat finishes. The finish was pretty badly oxidized and he told me he was going to have to wet sand it to remove the oxidation. I got it back last Thursday and just today had some time to re-install 2 of the teak walk-around pieces I refinished and get a couple of pictures. I am very pleased with the results.
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG
The work really came out nice. The color has come back with a lot of depth. The detailer even admitted he was blown away at how nice it came out.

This past weekend I attended the New Orleans Boat Show and in the Cobalt display I had the opportunity to meet Clark Boone, the Central Region Sales Manager for Cobalt. Really a nice guy. He has been with Cobalt for 30 years and when I told him the boat I had he became very interested and asked me to send him pictures. When I mentioned how good the gelcoat came back he was not surprised as he said Cobalt has always applied a thick gelcoat in their molds even going back to the early '80s.

I can now continue adding the rest of the deck teak and the deck hardware. The new upholstery is coming along and I will start getting pieces next week. More pictures to come.
Shawn
1985 Cobalt CM23