New Job

(non-boating; no politics!)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

New Job

Post by Big Block Power »

Ok after enough hints Katie guessed it as you gear heads whizzed right past my subliminal message in my me car post. So here's the story. T550 & Yt knew what was going on because I got a call from a dealer owner after I left a little hint with a consultant that visited both store's. I saw their add on Indeed. I wasn't really looking too hard just a little. I like to see what's out there.
So he called the Saturday before I went to Az. I went and talked with him. He wanted me before I got there. He is a Chrysler/ Ram/ Jeep/ Dodge dealer. So I'm a perfect fit for him. His current manager is getting a opportunity closer to his house to open a brand new dealership, so that left this opening. Anyways I've been at my current dealer for 33 years so this isn't a easy move. Multiple issues causing me to jump. Our dealer owns about 30 diff franchises. The new dealer only has just this one and has a very strong used car dept. They out sell us every month me and used. They are paying me more and giving me full range of the service dept. Where now I have to ask 4 diff managers to get anything approved or denied. So this is a huge deal for me. Also I get to help pick out software they will need. They are a little bit behind us in some technology. So big bonus again. It's only 15 minutes further than what I'm driving but that does make a diff on a bunch of things. It's in a totally diff direction I'm driving now. It's actually across the street from Mercury Marine :-) so I can catch lunch with my brother! Insurance and other benefits are diff. So I took the week in. AZ to decide and talked it over with two of my brothers in Az and my nephew and T550. It's amazing it was like T550 and I knew each other for years and we just met. Yt and I talked on the phone. The wife she just supported what ever I chose. So I got back to work Monday and work took away my $1000 bonus I got for hitting my budget. I just got a new GM 2 weeks earlier. So when they did that it was the nail going in the coffin. So my decision was confirmed what I was making was the correct one. So that's my little story and the end my career on Wed and start my new one on Fri. P.s. I just had the best January also for that store. I grew that store so much it just hurts to get a slap I the face. Thanks for listening and support. BB :-) Pot the Jus :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New Job

Post by Driller »

Change is always unsettling. My last experience was similar. I retired after 34 yrs with the same company to start my own business. After 3+ years I couldn’t be happier.

It’s always good to challenge yourself and work with new folks. Cream always rises to the top. You’ll be fine. Have confidence in your knowledge. There’s not a lot of guys with your experience.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

That's very exciting news pal. I'm sure your going through a strange transition as it is hard to make changes in careers when you've topped their fixed operations in achievement and didn't get the recognition.

Add on a new car with all the sites and sounds of a new people and it's a strange week I'm sure. Glad your bro is right there.

It passes and this dealer is tickled to have someone who has honed his craft to take his dealership to the next level.

Your both luckey!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big change for sure, but taking away a bonus would be the clincher for me also. Maybe that morale busting move was a positive thing for you.
A catalyst for change.
I can tell by your post that the move feels right.
It’s a vicious and selfish world out there. Only you can control you. Always do your very best my friend, and feel confident that the rest will take care of itself👍.
Best of luck BB.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys. I'm used to change as I was the one that went to the dealership that wasn't doing good and turned it around so I've been to a few of our dealerships in the last ten years. I've raised our sales by a bunch but our expenses just keep climbing that is out of my control has just been a pain. So lots of things have been going on. The new dealership will be different, they have a diff computer operating system so that's the biggest challenge. But they are looking to upgrade that in a few months also. I'm looking forward to this change and growth in the next couple of years. It was nice getting the feeling of being wanted not just a number. Which I found out that's all I was. My parts manager just hit his goal this month so the gm said that's his last one also so the parts manager said you better fix my pay plan out I'm leaving too. The sales manager also isn't far behind. The owner better fix it quick. Thanks guys. I actually smiled this week going to work.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Best of luck BB....I have no doubt you will be a hit at the new job! I'm assuming accurate typing isn't a job requirement!

POT the Jus! 😆
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:24 pm Best of luck BB....I have no doubt you will be a hit at the new job! I'm assuming accurate typing isn't a job requirement!

POT the Jus! 😆
🤣🤣🤣
Pot the Jus!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:24 pm Best of luck BB....I have no doubt you will be a hit at the new job! I'm assuming accurate typing isn't a job requirement!

POT the Jus! 😆
Nope.
Pots the Jus :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Congrats again on the new job :) There are a few details.in this post that are new to me, definitely sounds like you made the right choice. Change can be difficult, but if you embrace the opportunity it brings it can be a very good thing too. I think the latter is going to happen for you. Time to bring your experience and expertise to someone who actually appreciates it.

BBP gonna Nick areas an take make! For egg she! Pot the jus! 8-)
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Honestly BB, the change will do you a world of good mentally.
Change may be hard, and 33 years in one place is something that you should be very proud of.. Yet, be even MORE proud of your courage to change.
Pot the Jus!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thunder550 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:24 pm Congrats again on the new job :) There are a few details.in this post that are new to me, definitely sounds like you made the right choice. Change can be difficult, but if you embrace the opportunity it brings it can be a very good thing too. I think the latter is going to happen for you. Time to bring your experience and expertise to someone who actually appreciates it.

BBP gonna Nick areas an take make! For egg she! Pot the jus! 8-)
Yes I wasn't sure how much we talked when I got back. Monday after our morning manager huddle the gm asked me to stick around and told me that was the last check I was getting with a big smirk on his face and I just smiled back and said thank you :-) I had been following up with my new dealership throughout the week in Az and I had a final meeting set up with him on Tuesday to make sure we were all on the same page. Which we were. So Wednesday I went in and asked my new gm a few questions about my bonus and I got more smiles and I gave him my notice and he just said thank you with a smile and I left. It just floored me no Why or where you going. He had only known me for 2 wks. He Never looked at the numbers since I've been there the last three years. We also got a new Vp a few months ago which the owner says he had been coaching the new gm. The vp came in Wednesday morning and congratulated more on my new Job nothing else. I had a 2 hour talk with the owner on Thursday. 1 hour on the phone and 1 hour in person. Both good talks. So I hope it brings some change in the future for other employees. I thought they were going to offer me a new position at one of our Gm stores but that didn't happen and I got the dear John letter saying good luck. So I knew that was the end of this journey and on to my next one. I'm just glad I felt like I made the correct decision and I was in the right frame of mind. All good :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Couple of possibilities.

My guess BB, is that they are trimming payroll, and no better person to do it than a GM who has no emotional ties to the employees.
After 33 years of service and pay raises, I would bet that you were at the top of the cut list. Its VERY possible that they thought you were making too much money, and therefore they gave you reasons to look elsewhere, making you quit instead of paying higher unemployment tax if they fired you..
Its just the way it is in todays world.
FORGET loyalty in most businessmen. They expect it, but rarely give it when the almighty dollar gets in the way...
If long time employees making a decent wage are getting in the way of the wife's manicure budget, or the new vacation home upgrade, its bye-bye.

It's also possible that they are setting up the store for sale, and want to trim operating costs to make the balance sheet look more attractive.
That does backfire, but if they sell, they couldn't care less.

Either way, there is a downside of getting older and making more money than a 22 year old kid who makes half the wage. :(
Just know that every dog has his day. Somewhere down the line, a smirking superior will be telling your new/old smirking GM the same exact thing...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Tuscany wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:20 am Couple of possibilities.

My guess BB, is that they are trimming payroll, and no better person to do it than a GM who has no emotional ties to the employees.
After 33 years of service and pay raises, I would bet that you were at the top of the cut list. Its VERY possible that they thought you were making too much money, and therefore they gave you reasons to look elsewhere, making you quit instead of paying higher unemployment tax if they fired you..
Its just the way it is in todays world.
FORGET loyalty in most businessmen. They expect it, but rarely give it when the almighty dollar gets in the way...
If long time employees making a decent wage are getting in the way of the wife's manicure budget, or the new vacation home upgrade, its bye-bye.

It's also possible that they are setting up the store for sale, and want to trim operating costs to make the balance sheet look more attractive.
That does backfire, but if they sell, they couldn't care less.

Either way, there is a downside of getting older and making more money than a 22 year old kid who makes half the wage. :(
Just know that every dog has his day. Somewhere down the line, a smirking superior will be telling your new/old smirking GM the same exact thing...
All very true. My old gm and some of us have been saying this for the last year that we think they are getting ready to sell. But we've also been known for the one buying. The owner told me they were trying to buy 2 dealerships and they didn't go through. But either way loyalty is more of the employee rather than the employer. I'm setting myself up for retirement so money matters. Also I haven't been happy for a few years so a change is good and ready for it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

BB, congrats on your new job. This sounds like a good move for you. You sound excited about it so it must be right. Good luck.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Congratulations on your new position BB! It sure sounds like a good decision and its pretty awesome you can make a move on YOUR terms instead of getting blindsided.

It is most definitely their loss, and a move up for you. Who wouldn't want a money making service manager and parts sourcing hounddawg like BB? 😊
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!