(non-boating; no politics!)
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: School shooting.

Post by Table Rockin »

Table Rockin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Glad your family is safe Aslan.
Crap, sorry Tuscany, just realized I had the wrong person here. Again, glad everyone is safe.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

Driller wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 pm I find it hard to wrap my mind around these shootings. Have no idea what has changed between the time I was a teenager and now.

- Social Media / peer pressure
- Violent video games
- Violent movies
- Violent TV shows

I just know that I grew up around guns my entire life and when I was kid the thought never even once entered my mind to take one of them a shoot someone.

I can't understand the killing of innocent persons to make some kind of statement.
+1
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Table Rockin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 am
Table Rockin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Glad your family is safe Aslan.
Crap, sorry Tuscany, just realized I had the wrong person here. Again, glad everyone is safe.
Well, I’ve never met the kids, and just met the mother last year. Third marriage..
I just can’t imagine the pain those affected are going through.

+2 Driller!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I maybe alone in my thinking but I believe the media plays a big part. After these shootings they talk none stop about the shooter. I think a lot of these disturbed shooters are thinking they will be famous. How many shooters can you name ? How many victims can you name. I wish we could focus on the victims and give the shooter zero coverage. Sorry I'm done now.
2018 r5
2003 220
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

JMHO..

I’m not a negative person, just one who is pragmatic. This will never change, and I expect it to get worse as time marches forward.
Our favorite place to point the finger?..Guns..millions were sold, and they are never coming back.
Mentally sickened? It’s been an affliction since the beginning of time. The combination of both? No.

What has changed where we now face this issue?
THAT is the question that needs to be asked before attempting to solve this problem.

IMO, the thread that ties it all together to produce this scourge is right in front of our noses..
The easy unfiltered information of a search engine and the connections of social media.
Someone who has an affliction can now easily seek out others with the same issues..

Want to hate? Google your favorite hate group and learn how to hate with passion and organization.

Want to kill with a gun? Just google it, and not only can you buy a gun, but you can be instantly be put in touch with groups who will provide the support along with giving the emotional support needed to carry out the deed..

Want to carry out the will of a terrorist?
Now, you can easily find a reason to hate someone’s religious beliefs, and find those willing to train you on how to make a bomb by sending you the schematics, and help you build it.

Want to bully?
Just join Facebook, and cyber bully an easy victim in your school, which makes a person hate, which makes a person google a way to “get them ALL back”..
I see no light at the end of the tunnel on this scourge in our society, and the world in general.

As a parent, my kids never had cell phones at a young age. Never a TV in their room until mid teens, and never a computer in their rooms.
The internet, and all of its wonders are also the undoing of society. Facebook, which brought the world together, in the end, it has also ripped us apart.
I hope my kids raise their children with love, attention, affection and respect for others, instead of being raised “online” ..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Bingo. Tuscany hit the head of the nail.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I would add, there was a time when kids were brought up with morals centered around God, Church, and Family.

Now an individual’s moral authority is centered around Hollywood, social media, their gaming world reality, and/or the latest trend. There is no truth. No right and wrong. If it feels good for you then it’s permissible.

No one can tell me what I can and cannot do...what’s right and wrong”

Feel free to delete.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:48 pm I would add, there was a time when kids were brought up with morals centered around God, Church and Family.

Now an individual’s moral authority is centered around Hollywood, social media, their gaming world reality, and/or the latest trend. There is no truth. No right and wrong. If it feels good for you then it’s permissible.

No one can tell me what I can and cannot do...what’s right and wrong”

Feel free to delete.

+1
2018 r5
2003 220
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Everybody knows the type I’m talking about here...

So yesterday, my wife and I decided to go to the beach. It’s crazy busy down here because of the holiday weekend and it is season for the snowbirds.
So we know parking will be a problem, so we left around 9 am. It’s a two minute drive there, and arriving, we can see the lot is full. You just have to keep circling until someone leaves. After about 20 minutes, we get our break. A guy taps on my window and says they are leaving and we can have his spot ahead. We pull up and wait, and the guy pulls out..
Then this lady who had a cigarette hanging in her mouth, and resembling a roughed up, dirty wet mop runs over and stands in front of our car and blocking us from pulling in.
My wife asks her “what are you doing?” With smoke coming out of her mouth, ears, nose etc, she said she was saving the spot for her husband behind me. What?.. We said the guy tapped on our window Yadayada...the guy actually rolled down his window to tell the screaming woman that he did tell us to take his spot, and he leaves. She said to my wife with her NY accent “you’ll have to effin run me ova”..
🤔Well, you know, I sometimes go where I shouldn’t, got little poed, and pulled right up to her tippy toes, ready to push her 6” at a time backwards because if truth be known, I could just squash down on the gas pedal and do the world a favor.
My wife smacks me and tells me the obvious, that it’s not worth it, and let’s just leave and go up. To Ft. Myers Beach.

So, I am sure these people have brothers, sisters, children, and are raising their children with the same disrespect.
And just how are we suppose to change our social values if this is what’s infecting our world?
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Tusc your post 2 back was extremely well said. I agree 100%.

Sad about the the parking lot lady, there are SO many people out there who are like that. Most of us live in a bubble where we associate with other relatively normal people, but the older I get the more I realize that "normal" is the minority.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
no_rulz25
Captain
Captain

Post by no_rulz25 »

It seems I'm the minority here but I'll jump on my soapbox for this one.

You all are blaming the internet, social media, violent games, movies, etc for what has happened to our kids nowadays. I totally disagree. It's how you RAISE your kids which determines their future. My kids have cell phones, have TV's in their rooms, etc. my son who is 17 plays sports as well as watches "violent" movies and plays "violent" games on his Xbox as well as my 14 yr old daughter. They are both straight "A" students and great kids that respect their elders and other parents. You know why? Because they were raised like most of us were probably raised. If you smarted off, if you did something wrong you got your ass beat. They were raised to say sir or ma'am to grown ups. There was no such thing as a "time-out" corner.

If you look at about when school shootings started to became an issue, it was about 28 yrs ago. Guns have been readily accessible to us for over 200 yrs since this country was founded, but until recently mass shootings weren't an issue. Wonder why that is?

Until they start to protect our kids and Teachers in our schools with metal detectors, armed guards and/or arming the Teachers that want to carry, this problem will not go away. I ask you this, why are there armed security at banks, jewelry stores, airports, court houses, etc? Because we want to protect what's "valuable" to us. ARE OUR KIDS NOT VALUABLE ENOUGH TO PROTECT? No criminal/murderer is going to pay attention to a "gun-free zone" sign. On that subject, where have ALL the mass shootings and school shootings happened? IN GUN-FREE ZONES!! Wonder why that is?

Sorry for the rant, I'm just a legal gun owner/carrier and this is JMHO.
2013 24SD
Volvo Penta 300
"Nautical Nonsense"
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Not that I disagree with anything anybody has posted, but we're pushing into political territory here and it's been several days since the event so I'm locking this thread.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)