Finger Lakes

(CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Finger Lakes

Post by liquid »

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 pm .
Like something out of "On Golden Pond", liquid. Great walk down memory lane. Thanks for posting!
Thank you. It's my favorite place in the world.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Bfun220 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:57 pm Love the old pictures. I can trace my family back a long ways but nothing like living were 6 generations before you have.
Me too. I'll get around to posting some more soon. It's weird watching my kids navigate around because the house is a death trap for toddlers. I literally have fallen in the same places they have.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Tuscany wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 pm All I can say is WOW!
Man, how fortunate you are to be able to raise a family with that awesome summer getaway..
BTW, your kids are just the cutest...
I agree and thank you for the compliment... clearly they take after my wife. :lol:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:48 pm I absolutely want to hear some history! So in the top picture I see a fireplace on the left. I can place the living room with the fireplace and windows but I can't place the dining room?

How many bedrooms are there? Over the years how do you guys handle rite of passage? Like I'm sure your Dad is the head duck now, but how does that pass to you, and then your sons? What about brothers? How do you decide who is the head duck? How do y'all handle overhead? In 7 generations of siblings who gets choice over rooms?

On my wifes side her Grandfather got a 99 year lease on a handbuilt log cabin in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Its just outside of Cluster South Dakota and sets in the Black Hills National Forest and right on the edge of the Cluster Wildlife refuge. Its another one of those family affairs where we have to deal with lots of family if we want to go stay a week. So I'm really curious how you handle things.

Also, what is the house next door? Was that built later?

Man, that place is COOL!
So YT - sorry it took me so long to post this. I have plenty to update but wanted to answer your questions first. If you look at the pic of the living room with the sailfish the dining room is straight through the door on the left, you can see the dining room chairs.

The Big house has 8 bedrooms. The Little house has 2 bedrooms.

Rite of passage is an interesting question. Generally it's been passed down to the children of who owned it prior, then one sibling eventually does better than the other or others and buys the other out. It's certainly created some issues over the course of the last century.

My grandfather bought it from his brother and sister. It is now owned by my father, aunt & uncle. None of them are head duck. It's not the easiest task if you can imagine owning anything with a sibling. I currently act as de facto Property Manager 1) because I love the place & 2) I have an easier time communicating with them than they seem to. Lot of water under the bridge there.

Basically time is decided on a rotating schedule. They each choose 3 prime weeks in the summer and then a month in each of the off seasons. It sort of works. I and my brother in law maker sure the house is closed properly and winterized then do the opening in the summer. The little house is 4 seasons and their a ski mountain 5 minutes up the road called Bristol Mountain. Great hill to learn on and the house provides out of towners the opportunity to teach their kids the slopes on the same hill they learned. I live close enough now that there's no reason for me to stay down in the winter.

ROom choice is tricky. Growing up we all had our own rooms that we naturally gravitated to. Those have changed. My wife has been pregnant for eternity so we've now consistently gotten an upstairs front room with a view and a bathroom. Pregnancy trumps all and attached bathroom is optimal.

So I have a brother and a sister and we'll get our half of the house divided equally in thirds. My aunt has no children. My uncle has two sons who will split his share in 1/2. Then we'll have the issue. Luckily we all get along very well. As to who can afford what and when who knows. Being who I am and doing what I do I've proposed setting up a Family Limited Partnership but it's tricky footing. All i know is you'd have to bury me deep to keep from holding onto it.

I'll post some other cool stuff soon. Lots of pics and lots of quirky history stuff. See Whaler resurrection if you ever doubt!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

We face the exact same issues, both on my wife's side of the family with her grandfather's cabin in the black hills and our land run property in Oklahoma.

By equal thirds you mean you would own a 1/3 undivided interest on the entirty, right? Then you would own 1/3 of the entire property, But I would set it up with right of survivorship or 1st right of refusal if your brother or sister want to sell their 3rd or pass it on down-the-line.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

liquid wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:57 pm Love the old pictures. I can trace my family back a long ways but nothing like living were 6 generations before you have.
Me too. I'll get around to posting some more soon. It's weird watching my kids navigate around because the house is a death trap for toddlers. I literally have fallen in the same places they have.
Liquid,
Thanks for posting and looking forward to more post. I really enjoy hearing about family history. Reminds me of sitting with my grandfather listening to his/my history.
2018 r5
2003 220
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Bfun220 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 pm
liquid wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm
Liquid,
Thanks for posting and looking forward to more post. I really enjoy hearing about family history. Reminds me of sitting with my grandfather listening to his/my history.
Thank you me too. I'll post soon.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Ytmsn wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 pm We face the exact same issues, both on my wife's side of the family with her grandfather's cabin in the black hills and our land run property in Oklahoma.

By equal thirds you mean you would own a 1/3 undivided interest on the entirty, right? Then you would own 1/3 of the entire property, But I would set it up with right of survivorship or 1st right of refusal if your brother or sister want to sell their 3rd or pass it on down-the-line.
No. 1/3 of 1/2... at least that's what I think it is. Technically my Father, Aunt and Uncle own a third each. So in theory right now I would receive 1/3 of a 1/3 as I have two siblings. My Aunt's 1/3 dissolves on her death. My uncle's 2 kids split his 1/3. So, in theory my cousins would own a larger individual share than we would at 25%. My siblings and I would be at 16.6%. How costs would be divided up I have no idea. It's a weird issue.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

No it makes perfect sense. A lot of land out here in our part of the world is split up that way.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!