Finger Lakes

(CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Finger Lakes

Post by Ytmsn »

Liquid that is absolutely beautiful. I can relate with you when you say your place is your favorite in the world, but I cannot begin to imagine how cool it is for seven generations of your family to spend time in a sanctuary like that!

We have only had our place on the lake for 10 years but it has become much more than a retreat in our minds. And my kids are young adults now, but they've spent 10 very impressionable years growing up there. Now they know that their kids are going to be able to enjoy it growing up and after they're grown, and hopefully their kids after that.

That is just unbelievably cool to know that your family built that house a year before the Civil War ended.

I kind of follow that sort of thing. Ever hear of the Oklahoma Land Run? My great-great grandfather homesteaded the place where I live in 1889. It's not on the lake, but the land I live on is pretty special to all of us in the family.

1863. That is just amazing
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

YT. when I get down there again I'll post some really incredible pics of the house and the history. Everything has been documented in a log book. Bogart used to hang there.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Ytmsn wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:48 pm Liquid that is absolutely beautiful. I can relate with you when you say your place is your favorite in the world, but I cannot begin to imagine how cool it is for seven generations of your family to spend time in a sanctuary like that!

We have only had our place on the lake for 10 years but it has become much more than a retreat in our minds. And my kids are young adults now, but they've spent 10 very impressionable years growing up there. Now they know that their kids are going to be able to enjoy it growing up and after they're grown, and hopefully their kids after that.

That is just unbelievably cool to know that your family built that house a year before the Civil War ended.

I kind of follow that sort of thing. Ever hear of the Oklahoma Land Run? My great-great grandfather homesteaded the place where I live in 1889. It's not on the lake, but the land I live on is pretty special to all of us in the family.

1863. That is just amazing
I have not heard of that, Let's see some pics of the rest of your place. Here's some of mine I took to show you guys.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

This is Elm Lodge, est 1853. I'll get to some history later if you guys are interested but I wanted to just throw up some pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

have to say some stuff...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

There's 8 bedrooms in the Big House and 2 in the Little house. They are all unique... here's one:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Some cool shots from who knows when of the house... there's a million of these floating around the house:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

some random gems:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Some history. Some frontage. Some Chris

I got plenty more if anyone is interested. That baseball glove is marked 1918 btw. I gotta run otherwise i'd post more.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Found it!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Wow.. thanks for the tour!! That waterline at the edge must be magical!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Like something out of "On Golden Pond", liquid. Great walk down memory lane. Thanks for posting!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Love the old pictures. I can trace my family back a long ways but nothing like living were 6 generations before you have.
2018 r5
2003 220
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I absolutely want to hear some history! So in the top picture I see a fireplace on the left. I can place the living room with the fireplace and windows but I can't place the dining room?

How many bedrooms are there? Over the years how do you guys handle rite of passage? Like I'm sure your Dad is the head duck now, but how does that pass to you, and then your sons? What about brothers? How do you decide who is the head duck? How do y'all handle overhead? In 7 generations of siblings who gets choice over rooms?

On my wifes side her Grandfather got a 99 year lease on a handbuilt log cabin in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Its just outside of Cluster South Dakota and sets in the Black Hills National Forest and right on the edge of the Cluster Wildlife refuge. Its another one of those family affairs where we have to deal with lots of family if we want to go stay a week. So I'm really curious how you handle things.

Also, what is the house next door? Was that built later?

Man, that place is COOL!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

All I can say is WOW!
Man, how fortunate you are to be able to raise a family with that awesome summer getaway..
BTW, your kids are just the cutest...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine