Pump won’t shut off when battery is on.

wbdaven1@gmail.com
Ensign
Ensign

Pump won’t shut off when battery is on.

Post by wbdaven1@gmail.com »

I’ve got a 2002 Cobalt 262 MerCruiser 350 mag bravo III. This entire season each time our battery is switched to ‘on’, a pump that is located next to the battery starts up and continues until battery is shut off, independent of ignition. After reading several forums, my guess is that this is the secondary automatic bilge pump that is wired direct to the battery. (The bilge pump on the opposite side of the bilge does still activate with the switch.). Also, I’ve noticed that the boat used to top out at 60 mph last season, now we are doing good to get it up to 45 top speed. This is the first season that it’s stayed in the water for the entire season rather than trailer it after each use and pull the plug. It makes me think that water is building up somewhere, but only a small puddle <1 inch deep can be appreciated at the bottom of the engine hull. A few questions: 1) am I correct that this pump I’m referring to is the automatic bilge pump?; 2) where would I locate the float on this automatic pump in order to see if it’s stuck; and 3) are there other places water could be building up that I need to check? Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinions!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pump won’t shut off when battery is on.

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey wd1..so glad you found us! Yeeehaww, I love that hull! :D

wbdaven1@gmail.com wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:40 pm A few questions:

1) my guess is that this is the secondary automatic bilge pump that is wired direct to the battery.
…am I correct that this pump I’m referring to is the automatic bilge pump?;
1). Nope, that is not a secondary bilge pump next to the batteries. That is the transom shower pump. As soon as you are turning on the batteries that pump is building up pressure for the transom shower. Push the button on the transom shower head to allow water to flow from the 10 gallon holding tank behind the batteries to the transom shower.
To stop it from activating when you turn on your battery switch, flip the black rubber switch down on the transom next to the shower head; it will shut that water pump off.

FAFCE34F-BC5E-4B8F-88B7-932C04FBC3BB.jpeg

wbdaven1@gmail.com wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:40 pm 2) where would I locate the float on this automatic pump in order to see if it’s stuck;

2) The float on the bilge pump is located on a small black plastic platform next to the pump itself. It's under the engine near the transom. Reach under with a long tool from the starboard side and see if the float moves up and down. The pump should turn on when the float is raised to it's highest position. The switch on the dash is independent of the float and is a way to manually turn on the bilge pump.

Inkedbilge_LI.jpg

wbdaven1@gmail.com wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:40 pm I’ve got a 2002 Cobalt 262 MerCruiser 350 mag bravo III.. I’ve noticed that the boat used to top out at 60 mph last season, now we are doing good to get it up to 45 top speed. This is the first season that it’s stayed in the water for the entire season rather than trailer it after each use and pull the plug. It makes me think that water is building up somewhere, but only a small puddle <1 inch deep can be appreciated at the bottom of the engine hull.
3) are there other places water could be building up that I need to check? Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinions!

3) Not really. With a 946 pound 300hp 350 mag you'll most likely hit around 50-53. There's no way you'll hit 60mph with a 350 mag and a Bravo III... I've owned this hull with the 380 VP GI and now the 425 hp Merc Mag HO. We hit 55-58 with the 380 and 59-61 with the 1199 pound 496 MagHO..

7C85F876-5431-4181-9E68-02E70510D5B0.jpeg

Any pics?

and welcome aboard mate! 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

AsLan7 is the resident guru on 262/263's! Everything he says is gospel.

Another point to add.... leaving the boat in the water this season, I'm guessing you have some.... uh.... "growth" on the bottom of the hull that is affecting WOT speeds.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

Speaking of shower. What’s it for?

Even though I’m a redneck, I know what a shower is but I don’t know why one is at the back of my boat.

It doesn’t work right now. Should I fix it?

Wash off salt water? Make guests wash their feet before entry?

Or wash the ladies at the prop stop 😜
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo