Out, Not Back In

Kate
Captain
Captain

Out, Not Back In

Post by Kate »

Restoring the teak on my '85 Condesa: remove piece, sand, oil, replace. All's gone swimmingly, until this blankety-blank piece.

It's an 8'-long piece on the port side. (It's starboard sister went back in fine.) The passenger handle has integrated bolts, with nuts attached behind the glove compartment. The bolts go through the strip and the side panel. But now they're too short! What the devil happened and how do I fix it?

Here are the pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Out, Not Back In

Post by cmattj »

Looks nice!
If the handles are studs with inserts you can back them out possibly . ( maybe there swapped by accident?
Or remove them and treat it like a kitchen cabinet handle and go longer from from inside.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: ↑Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:03 pm Looks nice!
If the handles are studs with inserts you can back them out possibly . ( maybe there swapped by accident?
Or remove them and treat it like a kitchen cabinet handle and go longer from from inside.
Regarding your signature...how's it feel being "twinless" cmattj?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Just add water it will grow πŸ’¦πŸ˜‚πŸ‘
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

AsLan7 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:35 pm

Hey pal
Its a miss in some areas. (parking ) :lol: Im very excited, as this combo has been in want scope for a year. As you know in your quest patients is key, and Im excited to have her in my grips this week.

Ill post up some pics soon!
Big Block Power wrote: ↑Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:54 pm Just add water it will grow πŸ’¦πŸ˜‚πŸ‘
:lol: If everything was that easy. wed both be 6ft tall
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: ↑Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:23 pm
AsLan7 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:35 pm

Hey pal
Its a miss in some areas. (parking ) :lol: Im very excited, as this combo has been in want scope for a year. As you know in your quest patients is key, and Im excited to have her in my grips this week.

Ill post up some pics soon!
Looking forward to seeing them buddy. Knowing your reputation and attention to detail I'm sure it's a beauty. :mrgreen:

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

Thanks.

Not sure I understand. In the bottom two pictures, you can see the handle. It has two plugs (?) at the front of the handle. (There's only one handle.) The bolts were integrated into the handle at the factory. For the last 37 years, they were long enough to attach the nuts inside the glove compartment. Now, not.

Could the teak oil have expanded the strip? Could the foam/upholstery have expanded after I removed the strip?

Could BB be the least helpful person on this site?
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Kate wrote: ↑Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:19 am
Thanks.

Not sure I understand. In the bottom two pictures, you can see the handle. It has two plugs (?) at the front of the handle. (There's only one handle.) The bolts were integrated into the handle at the factory. For the last 37 years, they were long enough to attach the nuts inside the glove compartment. Now, not.

Could the teak oil have expanded the strip? Could the foam/upholstery have expanded after I removed the strip?

I pictured an "all thread type stud that possibly had threaded in further when you tried to re-assemble.. But looking at the smooth barrel nuts its not clear.
BBP will be along at some point to tell you to put sheet rock screws in it but I would image it was close from the factory so you may see if they unscrew from the handle.
They still look good just sitting so thats a plus!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Thanks.

I resemble that comment πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I'm sure if talk swelled it water could have too? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Let's just add longer bolts. See fixed!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
okielaker
Captain
Captain

Post by okielaker »

Thanks.

The expanded foam/upholstery would be my guess... it appears that you could get a couple of
glue clamps on the strip+handle and compress, see if bolts reach through?
clamp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 8.1L 375hp VP
Buncombe Creek, Lake Texoma
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

okielaker wrote: ↑Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:46 pm
Thanks.

The expanded foam/upholstery would be my guess... it appears that you could get a couple of
glue clamps on the strip+handle and compress, see if bolts reach through?

clamp.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"The expanded foam/upholstery . . ."

Turns out that it was that, plus expanded backing. Compressed both, handle now back where it belongs.