Cs22 / cs23 4-in-1 gauge information

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
go4it
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Cs22 / cs23 4-in-1 gauge information

Post by go4it »

boydwr0505 - I did order it with the DTS option.
Blwalker105
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Blwalker105 »

boydwr0505 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:41 pm Thanks for replying! What do you mean it only worked 60% if the time? The sales guy told me the speedo dial is tied to gps and not pitot tube anymore. Also hate to say it but I think they deleted the lcd on the speedo dial even for standard helm setup. I drove one, this exact boat, take a look at the pic. https://www.ericksonmarine.com/boats-fo ... a-7572417/

I think at a minimum I’m going to connect the engine with the garmin via nmea. Then I will get live depth on the garmin (also can’t believe this isn’t there from factory). And I could throw fuel level, engine temp, and battery on too. Only thing is I’d like a decent trim gauge.

I believe you need to make a nmea network, and you push the engine data in via the Mercury gateway https://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercury ... ateway-can

Then you add your garmin to the nmea network you created and I believe you have to use a power isolator so that you don’t have any power conflicts based on this document https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 75BD5.html
Your sales guy is not up to speed. When I just dropped my boat off for winter storage and spoke to the head of maintenance guy about my speedometer only working intermittently, he immediately walked me to the leading edge of the lower unit, midway up, and showed me the pitot port which he said can become easily clogged. I said that was interesting, but asked how would it clog and unclog at speed while underway? It looks way more like an electrical issue to me. Either way, the GPS speed and the speedometer's speed are usually off by at least 3-5 mph and the speedometer doesn't even read below 20 mph. Why Cobalt would choose to put a relatively ancient, pitot port-driven gauge in there when you have GPS-driven speed right next to it, is a mystery. I would much rather have had the 4-in-1 gauge.

Having said that, I am very much researching the NMEA gateway adapter and isolator and will post any info I obtain.

And yes, it seems we are most definitely deemed second-class citizens compared to the R-series owners. My choice to order this boat was after having been on a friend's new R5 two years ago. When I ordered it last October, my dealer couldn't even provide me with any pictures or information concerning the Garmin upgrade option. I had to go online just to be able to see a picture of the layout.

I hope this is just growing pains associated with Cobalt having been acquired by Malibu Boats a couple years ago, but so far I am less than impressed.
2020 220S 300HP
Indianapolis
boydwr0505
Ensign
Ensign

Post by boydwr0505 »

Same exact experience regarding zero pictures of the garmin option. He found me one somewhere and texted it to me. Interesting that it’s a pitot tube... agree seems like still finding a way to minimize cost on the gateway series but leaving some awkward gaps. Still a great looking and riding boat and I’m very excited :)

Well let’s figure put a way to get this 4-in-1 setup working! You have me thinking I’d just replace the speedo. On my last boat I ignored my pitot speedo and looked at my gps screen anyway.
Blwalker105
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Blwalker105 »

Yes, it is a great boat, overall: quiet, luxurious and that great Cobalt ride!
2020 220S 300HP
Indianapolis
boydwr0505
Ensign
Ensign

Post by boydwr0505 »

Hey everyone - quick report back, I was able to get a special order change done to include this gauge right from the factory in place of the speedo. I did have to pay an order change fee, but hopefully it all works out okay. It took many emails back and forth through my salesperson. Fingers crossed!
XLI
Commander
Commander

Post by XLI »

Late to this thread I know. I have only analog guages. I found out by playing with the buttons on the bottom of my gauge that you can calibrate your speedo to match your GPS reading. I just used my Waze app on my phone to find my true speed. There was a little quirk in that I could get better accuracy toward the upper end or bottom end, but not both. Guess which one I chose?!
'20 CS22
Merc 6.2 B3
jma2@fuse.net
Commander
Commander

Post by jma2@fuse.net »

Under-dash pictures of from my CS3. The gauges look the same as what Cobalt uses today.
IMG_2144 copy.jpg
IMG_2148.jpg
IMG_2159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 CS3
Volvo 280-G
Cincinnati, OH/Norris Lake, TN
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Kind of interesting. GLS has a bunch of their guages.

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/boat- ... allion?p=1
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Blwalker105
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Blwalker105 »

Cobalt has informed my dealer that the 4-in-1 gauge, if not procured before the build with a pre-productiuon change order, cannot be installed in place of the speedometer without voiding my warranty, even if the service is performed by the dealer. Good Lord?!?
2020 220S 300HP
Indianapolis
GhostWhisperer
Commander
Commander

Post by GhostWhisperer »

Hello All,

Looking to get some input on the Garmin unit they're putting in the CS22's and 23's. I've looked on the forum and can't seem to find anything specifically discussing results. We ordered one on our '21 CS22 (image here), and I couldn't be happier with the charting. We lake hop around the SE and it takes all the fret out of a new lake for me.

That being said, the Garmin isn't connected for depth. Dealer told me it was an adjustment they concluded on our first service that didn't change anything. The only depth is on the Cobalt gauge you have to scroll through which is a pain. I read somewhere a separate sounder could be mounted to the Garmin alone.

I pressed my dealer service guy to get this figured out for me when I dropped the boat off for some warranty work last week. I was a bit peeved he charge me $85 bucks for a half hour for them to "research" a fix up front... Seems like a dealer should have this knowledge base. But whatever, we all have to make money. Yesterday he called a left a message that there is a fix, but the cost to do it will be $2,000. I can't believe they sell/install these in these boats and don't mention that one of the perceived main features (depth) is "turned off".

Has anyone had a dealer, or after market Garmin tech correct this, or add a sounder as a stand alone to these Garmins? It frustrates me that I'm considering throwing the 2K to get this thing functioning properly.

Any and all insights are appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2021 CS22 - Black Hull/White Bootstrap/Red Platform and Logo - Volvo DP 280 V6 - North Georgia Lakes - Boat name: "GHOST"
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

I know based on my limited research that there's two versions of the Garmin. The standard model and the XSV version. My understanding is the XSV includes sonar so it can map the bottom of the lake. However the standard version should give you a gauge for just regular depth. Sounds like maybe the tech was thinking that you wanted to add sonar to the unit. In that case the 2k charge seems in line since there's a pretty big price difference between the standard versions and XSV ones.
2022 R6 VP350 Ebony/Frost/White
boydwr0505
Ensign
Ensign

Post by boydwr0505 »

I've been meaning to update this for months. I will include more details later if anyone is interested, with install pics (let me know). We got our boat in July (220s Mercruiser with the Garmin option). This may not apply to your Penta, but I want the exact same thing you do - the depth on the GPS. Since the depth, water temp, air temp are available on the tach as you cycle through smartcraft engine data network, I decided to buy the Mercury engine gateway to access that data on the Garmin. I installed the gateway which has one connection to the smartcraft junction box, and the other to an NMEA 2000 network. I created an NMEA backbone and connected the gateway and the Garmin to it. I am now able to see all the engine data on the Garmin screen and use things like trim level, digital RPM, engine temp, etc. It's great! HOWEVER, the water depth and temperature did NOT work. I spent hours of time on the phone with Mercury and Garmin. In diagnostic mode, I can see the streaming data for depth is there but the Garmin will NOT interpret it. After 2 hours, Garmin found someone that tells me it won't work (Transducer -> Smartcraft -> Merc Gateway -> NMEA 2000 -> Garmin). SO, next summer I am going to look into another option. I THINK the transducer is an airmar P19. Either I will re-terminate the wiring to work with the Garmin pinout (I think the Garmin model DOES accept sonar NMEA 0183), or I will connect this transducer directly to my NMEA 2000 network. If I need to, I may replace the transducer with an NMEA 2000 or Garmin compatible one. Likely these options result in no depth on the factory gauge anymore but I really don't care as long as I see it on the Garmin. Sorry for the long post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

boydwr0505 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:34 pm I've been meaning to update this for months. I will include more details later if anyone is interested, with install pics (let me know). We got our boat in July (220s Mercruiser with the Garmin option). This may not apply to your Penta, but I want the exact same thing you do - the depth on the GPS. Since the depth, water temp, air temp are available on the tach as you cycle through smartcraft engine data network, I decided to buy the Mercury engine gateway to access that data on the Garmin. I installed the gateway which has one connection to the smartcraft junction box, and the other to an NMEA 2000 network. I created an NMEA backbone and connected the gateway and the Garmin to it. I am now able to see all the engine data on the Garmin screen and use things like trim level, digital RPM, engine temp, etc. It's great! HOWEVER, the water depth and temperature did NOT work. I spent hours of time on the phone with Mercury and Garmin. In diagnostic mode, I can see the streaming data for depth is there but the Garmin will NOT interpret it. After 2 hours, Garmin found someone that tells me it won't work (Transducer -> Smartcraft -> Merc Gateway -> NMEA 2000 -> Garmin). SO, next summer I am going to look into another option. I THINK the transducer is an airmar P19. Either I will re-terminate the wiring to work with the Garmin pinout (I think the Garmin model DOES accept sonar NMEA 0183), or I will connect this transducer directly to my NMEA 2000 network. If I need to, I may replace the transducer with an NMEA 2000 or Garmin compatible one. Likely these options result in no depth on the factory gauge anymore but I really don't care as long as I see it on the Garmin. Sorry for the long post.
No worries….and we ALWAYS enjoy pics. :D

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
GhostWhisperer
Commander
Commander

Post by GhostWhisperer »

VTENGR wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:11 pm I know based on my limited research that there's two versions of the Garmin. The standard model and the XSV version. My understanding is the XSV includes sonar so it can map the bottom of the lake. However the standard version should give you a gauge for just regular depth. Sounds like maybe the tech was thinking that you wanted to add sonar to the unit. In that case the 2k charge seems in line since there's a pretty big price difference between the standard versions and XSV ones.
This was great information, and thank you! The dealer called and said they reached out to Garmin (apparently no one in a CS Garmin install has pursued this with them) and the fix is an engine module and new/additional sounder. Parts around $900.00 and labor at $1,100. I asked if adding the engine module would bring the engine data to the Garmin as well and he said he didn't know. 2k just isn't worth it for us on top of the 2,500+ for initial install with a lot of unknowns. Dealer service is frankly treating this like a UFO. If we end up updating the unit down the road, we'll tackle it then, until then I'll go with the Cobalt read-out. No worries.
2021 CS22 - Black Hull/White Bootstrap/Red Platform and Logo - Volvo DP 280 V6 - North Georgia Lakes - Boat name: "GHOST"