Bilge Pump Replace

(190 through 360)
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Bilge Pump Replace

Post by SAB220 »

2004 220

After almost 20 years the bilge pump float switch is bad. It runs but only with the bilge switch On. The pump is sitting on a aluminum plate buried against the boat drain. I'd like to move the pump forward too for the oil drain. The pump is reachable by one hand.

How do I remove it? Do I remove the plate, or the pump mounted on the plate? (It appears to be a red/white Rule pump.) How is it mounted? Is there a screw though the pump or is there a metal strap holding the pump in place? Philips screw? Hex? Wires appear to be exiting on the STBD with a connector but trim pump is there. Help Appreciated.

I remember a forum image of the pump with the engine removed. Maybe AsLan7 remembers that picture?

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3020&p=82530#p82530
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Bilge Pump Replace

Post by Big Block Power »

You could just unplug it and move it forward. I believe it's just screwed to that plate. That plate in turn is screwed to the bilge. Not sure which is easier to remove first though. The good thing is they're is plenty of room for you so get back there and give her a big hug 😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

On our bilge pump, the float switch is mounted separately on the plastic plate so theoretically you could unscrew just the float and move it forward with a rewire to accommodate the longer distance from the pump body. Probably easier to just unscrew the entire plate and move it forward a foot.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Ya BBG I do give it hug. I remove the two hatch pistons, and the other SS stanchion. Install the 3-2"x4" to cut to keep the hatch open. Then I get my gut in there and remove the two wake board boards. Then I place a nice 3/8" soft quality moving blanket in there and then hug away. I can do it blindfolded. I wish the pistons were outboard. Oh forgot, tape a rag over the hatch mounting bracket because I continue to hit my head on it even though I know its there.

Ya I think the Bilge Pump (BP) is screwed to the AL plate but I never felt it Obviously there's no room there like you said .....need another joint between my wrist and my elbow. Maybe leave the BP there disconnect it and and add other BP , worst case
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wow that's alot of work.i just crawl my old butt in and kiss that BB and go to town. I get ya but that SB gives you more room. You can do it. I get all of the stuff around the engine 👍
All else fails use the easy access plug. Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Yup - that's it no lights (nice) but that's what it looks like. The cooler would never be put there because it needs easy access.

BBG BTW - you have any P/N for the black ducting? Last year I blew part of it away with my pressure washer
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Honestly it's all over the web.
https://www.go2marine.com/shop-all-cate ... cting-hose

Is your boat close to you? I Can probably get a picture of the pump in mine?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

BBG - Thanks for the link. I'm all set and thanks for the offer. I'll order that duct work tonight.

The boat is going to an electrician for UW lights when the snow plow mound melts in front of the trailer. It going to be 50 this week. He installed the bluesea switch last year. Wanted to ask him about the Bilge Pump.
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok no problem. Mines always here so no big deal.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I removed the playe when I replaced my bilge pump. I also did away with the float. It's a tight fit, but it can be done.
2018 r5
2003 220
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Bfun220 - anymore details? How did you remove the AL plate and why no float?
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

SAB220 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:15 am Bfun220 - anymore details? How did you remove the AL plate and why no float?
It's all built internal. And now just stuck to the bilge.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

SAB220 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:15 am Bfun220 - anymore details? How did you remove the AL plate and why no float?
It's been a while since I did this. But if memory serves me, after stuffing myself in there I believe there are a couple screws that hold the plate and then just unplug the pump and plate and pump come out together.
Moving parts tend to fail, so I removed the float. New pump has no external or internal float.
2018 r5
2003 220
tomace13
Commander
Commander

Post by tomace13 »

Bfun220 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:58 pm
It's been a while since I did this. But if memory serves me, after stuffing myself in there I believe there are a couple screws that hold the plate and then just unplug the pump and plate and pump come out together.
Moving parts tend to fail, so I removed the float. New pump has no external or internal float.
That’s brave. Here’s to hoping you never forget your drain plug or develop a leak in your bellows.
1995 220
Red Rock, IA
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

tomace13 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:53 am
Bfun220 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:58 pm
That’s brave. Here’s to hoping you never forget your drain plug or develop a leak in your bellows.
It uses a water sensor. Plus he's a garage boater like me.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!