What I learned about wake last weekend

sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

What I learned about wake last weekend

Post by sailor55330 »

First, let me be up front---this is not a complaint, or judgment or criticism----it's just an observation.

I understand everyone's right to have fun with their boats and support that fully, but until recently, I had no idea how disruptive our wakes were and surf boats in particular were. My dock is at least 1/3 of a mile from the no wake buoy and maybe closer to 1/2 mile as to where the wake boats go by--it's a long way. These boats are far enough away that I can't hear the stereo or engine or even identify the make of boat--I couldn't even tell you if it was a guy or girl surfing. I was sitting on my lift replacing bunk carpet and had to actually hold on it bounced it so much. It probably took 2 minutes for the wake to travel. I had no idea the wake would travel that far---I truly thought it would have dissipated after that distance.

Part of me is surprised we haven't seen "no surfing" zones yet.....
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: What I learned about wake last weekend

Post by Table Rockin »

Surfing looks really fun but they can be majorly destructive on docks and shorelines. It’s a constant complaint on TRL Facebook page. It’s actually entertaining 😬

The waves that hit you started a good distance away. Imagine the rocking if only 100 ft away? That hundred ft is the legal distance required for operating around docks in MO.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Same here TR---100ft is the minimum for any watercraft on Lanier as well and it's much closer than you realize. I've read a few instance of people trying to post their own no surf signs please on their docks, but the COE usually makes them take them down, just like they frown on flying any flag that is not the Stars & Stripes or a military branch flag. I can't imagine having a surf boat that close to a dock. Thankfully they dropped the no wake buoy about at the mouth of our cove---it wasn't there 3 weeks ago... I'm thinking someone must have filed a complaint or there was a shorline erosion study done.

I've not surfed behind a boat, but I tried the real thing once---absolutely the most physically demanding thing I can remember doing...I was out of gas after 45 mins...ended up tearing cartilage in my ribs (I think)
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

We got a new surf board recently and it came with a pamphlet that said “Surf Responsibly” on it. Common sense stuff mostly, mind your distance, minimize repetitive passes, keep music at reasonable levels, stuff like that. We always try to mindful of others on the lake, unfortunately a lot of people leave common sense at home, especially when they go to the lake :0)
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Roy J
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Roy J »

If I pass a surf boat coming the opposite direction in a river in my inboard 202CS, I pretty much have to stop. The waves are so steep with a short interval that I get pounded if I can't get more than about 100' away. I'll stop even if I'm pulling a skier.
1998 202cs
Lake Granbury, Texas
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

What I learned this week is a A40 wake is larger than a wake boat.
These 35ft plus boats going 5mph or so plowing through the water to me are more dangerous and hazardous. The wake just gets you
Rocking if you hit them on the side of the boat it darn near tosses you put off your seat. On TRL the wakes just keep bouncing off the cliffs and come from no where sometimes. Don't ask how I know.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

This is an issue that will likely only get worse with the growing popularity of wake surfing and the efforts by manufacturers including Cobalt to build boats that offer bigger and bigger waves with their surf systems.

Winnipesaukee where we boat actually had a pretty strong push by many lake users to ban wake surfing on the lake (big lake at 44k acres for those who don't know it) last summer and it was shot down. The path forward will be outreach education on being more respectful while wake surfing, but I'm not sure many who participate will care.

I somewhat agree with BPP that larger boats plowing can create even worse wakes, but in my experience, big boat wakes don't seem to carry as far. Maybe they're less long/deep? Those types of waves seem to dissipate within a few hundred feet where as surf wakes seem like a wall of water like a Tsunami that will carry straight to the shore before they bust up.

I really don't know the answer to this "problem". I put that in quotations because I don't really want to label something like wake surfing that folks get joy out of a problem. Same goes with other lake activities many consider a nuisance like jet skis.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

I saw this on cobalt’s website, 200 ft isn’t much when you think about it 2/3 a football field….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 pm I really don't know the answer to this "problem". I put that in quotations because I don't really want to label something like wake surfing that folks get joy out of a problem. Same goes with other lake activities many consider a nuisance like jet skis.
Wake boats arent going away unless there is some big environmental issue like a major shoreline erosion or something similar (but since this hasnt happened with cruiser wakes I dont see it happening with wake boats). Too much money and way too popular. IMO wake boats and big 35'+ cruisers plowing through the water have pretty similar wakes. The issue isn't those individually (well IMO cruisers should cruise not plow) but in the aggregate. Not sure there will ever be a solution to curb this. It just kinda is what it is.

My advice is just buy a bigger boat :)
"The Mistress"
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

You guys are correct, larger boats going slow (think planing hulls pushing through the water vs displacement hulls) absolutely throw a bigger wake, which is exactly what the newer wake boats are designed to do. Other than the enforcement of larger no wake or no surfing zones, there probably isn't a lot that can realistically be done. I think the biggest difference between a wake boat and a larger cruiser is that cruisers usally move through an area and the wake is a one-pass situations whereas surf boats often linger in the same general area and make mulitple passes, as do skiers, tubers, etc.

Table Rockin is probably right, it is what it is, especially with sales increasing and I'm guessing the appropriate donations are being made to the various eco groups.

BBP---maybe you can drive your boat like a jet ski and jump the wake?
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am I think the biggest difference between a wake boat and a larger cruiser is that cruisers usally move through an area and the wake is a one-pass situations whereas surf boats often linger in the same general area and make mulitple passes, as do skiers, tubers, etc.
Very valid point
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am BBP---maybe you can drive your boat like a jet ski and jump the wake?
This I want to see

"The Mistress"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Table Rockin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:30 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am I think the biggest difference between a wake boat and a larger cruiser is that cruisers usally move through an area and the wake is a one-pass situations whereas surf boats often linger in the same general area and make mulitple passes, as do skiers, tubers, etc.
Very valid point
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am BBP---maybe you can drive your boat like a jet ski and jump the wake?
This I want to see

If you didn't go home so soon this past weekend you would have seen it!
The A40 at your marina gave me a nice ramp like 3 times he went around Indian point.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:07 pm
Hey I was there Sat and met Bfun…..the question my friend is where exactly were you? 😆
"The Mistress"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Table Rockin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:50 pm
Hey I was there Sat and met Bfun…..the question my friend is where exactly were you? 😆
Oh sure you chose bfun over me thanks! I'm Sunday?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:03 am
Table Rockin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:50 pm
Oh sure you chose bfun over me thanks! I'm Sunday?

Well he is bfun!!!
CS23