Lake of the Ozarks --- Where to Stay???

(AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MO, MS, SC, TN)
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Lake of the Ozarks --- Where to Stay???

Post by notstock4long »

We are heading to LOTO for a mini spring break trip this year, partially to look for a place to stay longer on the water next time, when we bring the boat with us. We have three kids (13, 13, and 16). Any recommendations on the general area we should stay in? Good parts of the water and town? I'd appreciate any advice! I'm hoping we can find a place on the water through VRBO or something, but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks!
-Travis
2018 Cobalt CS22
tomace13
Commander
Commander

Re: Lake of the Ozarks --- Where to Stay???

Post by tomace13 »

Our family has been staying in Lazy Days Condos at Osage Beach for the last decade. Unfortunately they’re now in a legal battle with the HOA, who has instituted a new rule forbidding renters from using the boat slips. As such were now staying someplace new this year.

This year we will be staying just across the bridge at Parkview Bay Condos, we found a nice unit through Air BnB. Hopefully it works out and we’ve found our new spot for the next decade.

My recommendation would be to stay off of the main channel if possible, unless you can get a slip with lift that will fit your boat or plan to trailer your boat every day. The water gets pretty crazy on the weekends if you’re not in a cove where you’re protected.
1995 220
Red Rock, IA
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

When w went we booked through Airbnb. I cant remember the name of the condo we rented. There are a lot of places for rent! I agree with tomace that if you can find a place off the main channel that is definitely calmer. If not just make sure the slip is big enough for your boat and tie it up well so the boat can’t hit the sides of the slip. I probably had enough bumpers for two boats on my R5. A lot of places have slips available right with the house or condo. The condo we rented didn’t include a slip but the owner knew someone that had a couple for rent right at the condo so it worked out fine. The slip was a little small for our boat but it worked.
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Thanks guys. Good info. I would have leaned towards staying in the main channel with a boat.

What about non-boating activities? Is any one section better than another for restaurants or things to do?
2018 Cobalt CS22
tomace13
Commander
Commander

Post by tomace13 »

notstock4long wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:05 pm Thanks guys. Good info. I would have leaned towards staying in the main channel with a boat.

What about non-boating activities? Is any one section better than another for restaurants or things to do?
Depends what you’re into I suppose. There’s plenty of restaurants around the Osage Beach area that cater to tourists, some such as Dog Days are on the water with their own slips for patrons. We tend to pretty much stick to the lake, and really only venture out if it’s raining. There’s several fantastic state parks around, but if it’s nice enough for a hike I’d rather be on the water.

If you’re really looking for some good activities off of the water you might also look at Table Rock, it’s got Branson a short drive away with a lot more non-lake related stuff.
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

We used to be at the 11.5MM and even with our 293 wouldn't venture out more than 5mi each way. Been at the 41MM since 2012 and love it. Had a couple years there with the 293 and really got to see more of the lake. Now we've upsized to the 360 and there's no limit as to how far we want to venture out.

Our neighbor couple docks down is a rental/personal use home.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
ddmueller
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ddmueller »

Howdy,

I live on the lake at the 11MM of the Big Niangua. That empties onto the main channel at the 31MM. Even up here the weekends are pretty crazy with boat traffic so the higher the MM, the better off you are.
As far as non lake time though, stay down at POsage Beach or Lake Ozark. There are more restaurants and shopping. With that being said tho, there are some great lake bars/restaurants up this way as well. My fave has to be The Fish and Co on Linn Creek cove at the 31MM. Great food, drinks, and usually a band on the weekends. Plenty of boat and car parking.

Dan
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

Just got back from 8 days on LOTO in the Niangua Arm. Can’t stand the main channel for traffic. I only take our 232 to the main channel during the week. Weekends are crazy. Like others said, stay off the main channel or you better find a place with a lift that you can use. Your boat will take a beating otherwise. I have to slip mine but double up on fenders and tie off so it can’t touch anything hard in case of rollers.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi